News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I FINALLY started my 69 Twin TurboCharger project.

Started by Wilde Racing, September 11, 2010, 11:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Wilde Racing

WOW, damn it, well I dont think I have had it for over 45 days, so it will be going back, thanks for the heads up guys.... :2thumbs:
Twin Turbo, Fuel Injected, Coil-on-Plug, 69 Charger.
Little to no cutting to make it all fit.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73346.0.html

The70RT

Quote from: Wilde Racing on January 23, 2011, 01:53:40 PM
WOW, damn it, well I dont think I have had it for over 45 days, so it will be going back, thanks for the heads up guys.... :2thumbs:

Maybe check and see if they upgraded the water ports on the housing by comparing it to the stock one.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sixty8charger

Jayson

Wilde Racing

Stock water pump going back on the engine. Thanks again for the heads up guys....

Well update.... five more hours of hair pulling out madness....

speedfreak68

Very impressed with your skills, do you mig it to hold em together and the go back and tig them? Keep up the good work!

Wicked72

What are you using for the injectors and engine management btw?  :popcrn:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

kcederwall08

Nice fabrication there, I've always wanted to do a turbo set up on my car, ill be interested to see how this turns out!

Wilde Racing

Quote from: speedfreak68 on January 28, 2011, 12:37:19 PM
Very impressed with your skills, do you mig it to hold em together and the go back and tig them? Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words. Your are correct, I'm MIGing it to hold the pipes together and will mig some of the joints like the flange to pipe connections.

Quote from: Wicked72 on January 31, 2011, 12:04:12 PM
What are you using for the injectors and engine management btw?  :popcrn:

Injectors will be 120 lb/hr Low-z injectors, I'll be using megasquirt for the tuning. I could get away with 96lb/hr injectors but I do have some very aggressive hp goals...
For you carb guys..
96lb/hr are good for approximately 925-1200 hp
120lb/hr are good for approximately 1000-1500hp  :angel:

I'm also keep fuel pressure lower to help the twin 255 keep up..

Quote from: kcederwall08 on January 31, 2011, 07:14:46 PM
Nice fabrication there, I've always wanted to do a turbo set up on my car, ill be interested to see how this turns out!

Thanks, I hope I can get it all to fit.... :o

As for an update I have started a few new hobbies in the last two weeks which has pulled me away from working on the charger. One of the new hobbies is carbon fiber. I need some non metal custom stuff and I cant mold or weld plastic, carbon fiber and fiberglass is the next best thing I think... I've got a ton of supplies on the way and have made a few chunks of practice carbon. I plan on making the center console out of carbon as well as other things. Ill post pictures of the aspect of the build later.

My other new hobby is machining, I've been a "DIY" type for many years some of my friends say I take the hole DIY thing a bit too far. In the aim of improving my tooling abilities, I recently acquired a small bench top style drill/mill. It is a very old Jet-16. It should help with any of the milling need for the charger project, once I figure out how to use the thing.... lol

Here is the titanic-esk drill/mill, It nearly killed me and a friend of mine when we unloaded it. It is a pig.....

I milled a 3/8 bolt head down to 10mm so I can mount the four jaw chuck to my rotary table. I know I could have bought a allen cap screw, but why? I need the practice anyway.

I also managed to fit in a small amount of header work last night..

Wicked72

So how much do you think you might have in the intake, megasqurt, injecators, turbos etc? I am building my 400 to a 451 for boost and I dont want to spend a ton so Im trying to figure out if I put together twins for it like what your doing or slapping a supercharger on it. I want to do twins for the drive ability since your not pulling much boost unless your stepping on it. Btw it seems your as bad as me with the DIY..My friends and fam say I take it to far but then it always ends up worth gaining another skill that ends up saving thounds and making money because of it.  :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Wilde Racing

Quote from: Wicked72 on February 06, 2011, 09:35:48 AM
So how much do you think you might have in the intake, megasqurt, injecators, turbos etc? I am building my 400 to a 451 for boost and I dont want to spend a ton so Im trying to figure out if I put together twins for it like what your doing or slapping a supercharger on it. I want to do twins for the drive ability since your not pulling much boost unless your stepping on it. Btw it seems your as bad as me with the DIY..My friends and fam say I take it to far but then it always ends up worth gaining another skill that ends up saving thounds and making money because of it.  :2thumbs:

We defently share the same views on DIY. :yesnod:

As far as the intake, fuel rail, throttle body, and any other thing you need aside from injectors and programming, Talk to Richard at WCCH. His prices and customer service is WAY better than ANY other shop I have delt with, and I live 20 minutes from summit racing. No totals yet but fuel injection is not cheap. And it really depends on what you want. My will cost more due to the 8 EGT sensors, sequential injection, and coil on plug ignition.

I'll give you totals on cost once it runs.....

I got number four pretty much done....

six-tee-nine

Nice fabrication.....but one question?
The headers are pretty damn tight to the inner fenders. arent you affraid that under hard load, the engine will tilt over and the headers will touch the inner fenders. Because that will make a helluva lot of noise if it would happen.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Wilde Racing

Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 14, 2011, 04:17:55 PM
The headers are pretty damn tight to the inner fenders. arent you affraid that under hard load, the engine will tilt over and the headers will touch the inner fenders. Because that will make a helluva lot of noise if it would happen.....

Thanks, The pictures dont show depth, but there is a minimum of a half inch of clearance between the pipes and the fender.

Quote from: Patronus on February 14, 2011, 06:45:08 PM
tubular k = no inner fender

I dont want to cut the car.... :icon_smile_tongue:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Wilde Racing on February 15, 2011, 02:13:31 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 14, 2011, 04:17:55 PM

Thanks, The pictures dont show depth, but there is a minimum of a half inch of clearance between the pipes and the fender.

Quote from: Patronus on February 14, 2011, 06:45:08 PM
tubular k = no inner fender

I dont want to cut the car.... :icon_smile_tongue:

:2thumbs:

I once had a friend who put a bolt upside down in a transmission support so the longer threaded end touched the body under load when driving and he spent days to find that gremlin......
It can be in a small corner somethimes.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Wilde Racing

Well it's time to start welding :D

I also raised number six primary to gain "air" room for the poor shock bushing..

speedfreak68

:o Those are sooo SICK looking!!!! BAD ASS!!!!  :drool5:

The70RT

troutstreamnm

2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TiMopar

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

The70RT

Quote from: greenpigs on February 22, 2011, 06:46:08 PM
I want a set just to hang on the garage wall.

MAYBE for 2K he can frame you up a pair  :icon_smile_question:

sound5262

just wondering, why don't you have the pipes the shortest they can be?

Wilde Racing

Quote from: speedfreak68 on February 21, 2011, 06:57:17 PM
:o Those are sooo SICK looking!!!! BAD ASS!!!!  :drool5:

Quote from: The70RT on February 21, 2011, 10:41:24 PM
Hell yeah  :2thumbs:

Quote from: troutstreamnm on February 21, 2011, 10:46:54 PM
Awesome work  :2thumbs:

Quote from: elacruze on February 21, 2011, 10:51:43 PM
:cheers: :2thumbs:

Quote from: TiMopar on February 22, 2011, 05:32:39 AM
Nice!

Thanks guys, I have a ton of time into these and they are not even close to being done.... :cheers:

Me too. lol

Quote from: The70RT on February 23, 2011, 06:38:27 AM

MAYBE for 2K he can frame you up a pair  :icon_smile_question:

I don't know, that price seams a bit high, but I guess if I calculated the time involved it would be a bit low   :shruggy:  Let see if they even work/last first lol....

Quote from: sound5262 on February 23, 2011, 07:55:38 AM
just wondering, why don't you have the pipes the shortest they can be?

That is a great question. In a "normal" turbo install you would want the pipes as short as possible so they will retain more heat energy. The down side to using short primerys is the cylinders that "see" a shorter section of exhaust pipe will be more prone to revision. That makes for cylinders that will be uneven in V.E and higher, uneven cylinder temps which will make for less timing that can safely be ran. According to all my research the benefit of equal length headers mean even less on a turbo application, but For all out performance equal length will always out perform in all applications (if heat can be retained)....

Another reason is in my last turbo build, I did a simple log manifold. I simple wanted to try building this one use other techniques... :2thumbs:

Thanks again guy :yesnod: