News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charging screwed up...

Started by viper r/t, September 11, 2010, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper r/t

Okay, so on my '68 it runs great when it's not charging, but when I plug wires back into the ballast resister, the amp gauge shows that the car is charging then it starts cutting out and back firing when you give it throttle. But unplug the wires from the resistor to make it stop charging then it runs fine until you hook them back up? The resistor on my car has 4 terminals so I'm thinking its a newer model as in the mid 70's maybe? Any help would be appreciated because I have a car show in the next bit and I would really like to take my car haha :brickwall: :eek2:

elacruze

Quote from: viper r/t on September 11, 2010, 02:48:18 PM
Okay, so on my '68 it runs great when it's not charging, but when I plug wires back into the ballast resister, the amp gauge shows that the car is charging then it starts cutting out and back firing when you give it throttle. But unplug the wires from the resistor to make it stop charging then it runs fine until you hook them back up? The resistor on my car has 4 terminals so I'm thinking its a newer model as in the mid 70's maybe? Any help would be appreciated because I have a car show in the next bit and I would really like to take my car haha :brickwall: :eek2:

Which side of the resistor is your regulator drawing power from?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TylerCharger69

4 terminal resistor is incorrect for a 68 i believe

mauve66

but it can be used if wired correctly to an elec. distubtor, that way if it goes while your out on the road somewhere you can pull any resistor from the junkyard and be on your way, one of the mags did an article on the swap several years ago
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Nacho-RT74

ballast has nothing to do with charging circuit just with ignition circuit, you have something wrong there.

68 never got 4 prongs ballast resistors. First year for them was 72s being the ECU optional on some models

The regulator gets the ign key power BEFORE the ballast, then feeds alternator brushes. It takes from blue wire circuit coming directly from ign key NOT from the wire going to coil, what in pre 70 cars is also blue but spliced from brown wire coming from ign switch at ballast. Since 70 when charging system was switched to electronic regulator and a new blue wire is going to alternator, the coil wire was changed to brown color to save from confuse.

what kind of charging system do you have ? electronic with dual field alt or mechanical with single field alt ?

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mauve66

did the PO wire it for the 4 prong??
how long have you had it??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring