News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building my 440 on a budget ...NEVERMIND, theres no more "budget" about it

Started by FLG, September 09, 2010, 01:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

I happen to grab another 440 and i was going to rebuild my 400 but i figured this 440 cost me nothing and i already have another block with all the machine work done but no internals  :rofl:

So heres the build so far

-440 .30 over
-Stock crank and rods (polished crank, rods reconditioned and ARP bolts)
-Speed Pro 2355 Replacement 6 pack pistons
-K56 110 LSA
-902 Heads (valve job with 911 springs)
-71 Intake Manifold
-Milodon 5qt oil pan

Only think i haven't picked out yet is a fuel pump and an oil pump and a carb.

I'm on the fence with either goin HV oil pump or OE replacement?

Also would a windage tray be of any help?

Fuel pump?

Carb?

Figure id leave Ron alone for a change and hear some opinions  :2thumbs:

BSB67

Sounds like you purchased the parts already, So we'll start there.  You will need to watch your compression ratio with those pistons and open chamber heads if you plan to run pump gas.  You should probably shoot for 9:1 if you can get that low.  You won't be able to optimize quench and CR.  Nice cam for stock like characteristics but more hp than stock cam.  Carb - your preference, 800 Thunder, or any Holley of your choice 750 cfm or greater.  Stock oil pump is fine.  Yes - windage tray.  If you can afford some bowl work, back cut valves and competition valve grind, I would recommend it.  Any inexpensive used aluminum dual plane intake will pick it up a bit too. :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

FLG

Didnt purchase the pistons yet.

The stock rods with the 6 pack pistons should put me at the 9ish range with CR.

Will get a 3 angle valve job, but no porting (really dont want to spend the cash on it for a street build)

Thanks!

FLG

Another question,

Im using the 911 Springs and im going to go with comp 7 degree retainers and locks...but how many groove locks do i get? I see they come in 1, 2, and 4 groove..whats the difference?

:2thumbs:

greenpigs

Another vote for OE oil pump & windage tray.

Remember to get the blocked off valley pan FEL 1215 I think.

Not sure if its worth the money at this power level but some heavy wall pushrods.

I use the Carter fuel pump that was on the 69 440's http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mechanical.html CARM4589 unless thats not it(50/50) been a few years.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

FLG

Thanks GP,

I couldnt find that gasket though  :shruggy:

I figured out what the whole, 1 groove, 2 groove, 4 groove valve locks were so thats all sorted  :2thumbs:

Engine builder said the heads, crank, and rods are in the tank at the moment. If i get him the pistons, rings..ect he can get it together by the weekend  :2thumbs:

Just need to order the cam and lifter set as well.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

FLG

Was going to write that i found it, i couldnt find it at first  :2thumbs:

Cheers!

FLG

Well mancini dosnt actually have the 2355s so looks like I need a diff set of pistons. I was looking at these as a possibility

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/icon/fhr.php?action=details&P_id=593

Challenger340

Quote from: FLG on September 17, 2010, 09:35:21 AM
Well mancini dosnt actually have the 2355s so looks like I need a diff set of pistons. I was looking at these as a possibility

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB237-030/

I need to find something close to stock weight if I can so I don't need to spin the crank.

I think pretty much any "decent" Piston you are going to find, will require a Crank Balance ?
even the 2355's.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 17, 2010, 10:03:11 AM
Quote from: FLG on September 17, 2010, 09:35:21 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB237-030/

I need to find something close to stock weight if I can so I don't need to spin the crank.

I think pretty much any "decent" Piston you are going to find, will require a Crank Balance ?
even the 2355's.

The 2355's are within a few grams of the stockers so you don't really need to balace but i allways do anyway.  ;)

I would go with the new ICON Forged pistons and rebalance. They are a better option for a stock rod/stock crank type build.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

After talking to u ron I changed my post to reflect the fact I'm going with the ICON pistons lol

Yeah was going to try to not rebalance since the 2355s were so close. But no biggie, money well spent.

FLG

I ordered the forged icons  :2thumbs:

IMO, for future reference the weights they have listed there are WRONG! Called them up and the pistons is in the mid 600's with the pin being around 150g.

FLG

Ordered the K56 but sadly there out of lifters  :shruggy:

So unless he gets em in by the time the cam is ready i might have to shop elsewhere.

Lifter recommendations?

greenpigs

I know Ron recommends the solid lifter they make so not sure how good these are but have not heard\read anything bad about them.  http://www.competitionproducts.com/Howards-Performance-Hydraulic-Lifters-Chry-V8-AMC-V8/productinfo/91711/
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on September 20, 2010, 04:37:09 PM
Ordered the K56 but sadly there out of lifters  :shruggy:

So unless he gets em in by the time the cam is ready i might have to shop elsewhere.

Lifter recommendations?

Frank, here is a source for the high quality Johnson lifters. The last post on this link gives the standard lifter part number (A-2011 )

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5649254&an=0&page=0#Post5649254

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

FLG

Got the short block today!!

Cant wait to continue the build, these puppies sit up nice and high! .010 Below deck, the pic is a bit deceiving and they look higher than they are.

tricky lugnuts

I love the look of a freshly machined engine!  :cheers:

firefighter3931

Very nice bud !  :2thumbs: That's just about perfect for a pump gas build.  :yesnod:

Ron

BSB67

Looks great  :thumbs:  Looks like you are set up to be exactly where you should be for what you're looking for.

Did the ICON pistons come with that double step valve relief?

Have you had the heads done yet?  What are you having done to those?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

FLG

Yes they did...that a good thing? Lol

Heads are just rebuilt, milled, 3 angle valve job, 911 springs...nothing fancy.

Thanks guys!

FLG

So heres an update.

We ran the engine on the dyno, i was happy but wanted more.

I took off the heads to do what should have been a simple head swap. I noticed the pistons seemed a bit tight in there bores and skirts had started scuffing the cylinder walls. Engine builder said "its fine"

Well i didnt like it, i decided to take a look at the bearings...the mains looked like crap IMO but maybe im just inexperienced? But one had a small line across it straight down to copper, i didnt like that either. The crank had some small burrs on it that i could feel with my finger.

Now the engine is back apart and going somewhere else to fix whatever this guy did wrong.

Also the cam is changed, its now an Engle split grind K58/60 that i bought from a member here (1Bad70Charger) who gave me a great deal on it, he was going to use it but changed his build.

In the mean time heres the new heads and they make an excellent table centerpiece

They have some port work done and a larger intake port (2.19), chambers smoothed, titanium retainers, 10* locks and springs meant for a roller cam that are far to beefy for my cam so ill probably sell em, heads were brand new and the guy lost a bit selling em to me..but im happy!

GPULLER

What kind of power did it make the first time?  We need numbers man!  :rofl:

FLG

LOL

Well with wrong size headers (he didnt have smaller ones and i forgot to bring mine)

We did about 400hp and 470 or so ft/lbs

I want to see the high 4's and a bit over 500 ft/lbs this time around

charger2fast4u

going to be a nice build would like to see what it makes on the dyno did you get that serpentine setup on from awhile ago? would like to see how they turned out.

GPULLER

It will be interesting to see what the heads do for power.  If I read your posts right your using a cast iron intake?  Any plans on swapping that out for an Performer PRM or other aluminum intake?

What are the specs on that K56 cam again?

FLG

Not yet charger.

Ill have to look up the specs when I get home, cam is now a split grind k58/60

Ch4b intake :)