News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

distributor suggestions 67 440

Started by chargerman67, September 06, 2010, 09:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman67

Hey I'm thinking its about time to get a new distributor and ignition setup. I want to completely redo everything. Anybody have opinions on the best products? My brother was talking to me about trying to set it up with a modern day coil pack setup. Does anyone have any experience with that? If not it doesn't matter. Just let me pick your brains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Luther :popcrn:
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

elacruze

I'm mulling the same issue-I'll be using an Electromotive Tec3 engine controller with crank trigger. Although individual coil packs are the best functionally, I don't think I'm ready to lose the look of the distributor and wires. Not sure if I can hook it up through a distributor at all, though.

What system are you using now?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

I bought this and will never look back, it worked and wish I had just done this years ago.   www.4secondsflat.com   It would have paid for itself in parts and fuel by now. (Not to mention time and hassle)

ODZKing

I am partial to the Mopar Performance setup.  Easy to install, comes with instructions.
You can get them at many of the usual vendors like Summit and I believe they are still available from Ma Mopar using the numbers I listed on my webite. http://www.retrorarities.com/EIconversion.htm

chargerman67

I just have the really old setup. Can't even imagine how old the distributor is. And I have an old MSD ignition booster that came with the car when i got it in 1996. That's about all I know about it. That's one of the reasons I want to upgrade everything. I will actually know whats going on and I would like it to be the best possible (that I could afford anyway). That Electromotive Tec3 engine controller looks interesting. Have you seen it on any vehicles yet? and b5blue which was the product you purchased?
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

elacruze

Quote from: chargerman67 on September 09, 2010, 07:17:28 AM
I just have the really old setup. Can't even imagine how old the distributor is. And I have an old MSD ignition booster that came with the car when i got it in 1996. That's about all I know about it. That's one of the reasons I want to upgrade everything. I will actually know whats going on and I would like it to be the best possible (that I could afford anyway). That Electromotive Tec3 engine controller looks interesting. Have you seen it on any vehicles yet? and b5blue which was the product you purchased?

I've run the same Direct Connection (Mopar Performance) Electronic conversion kit since 1982. I'ts always run well and never failed, save for one chrome box a long time ago.
The Tec3r system is a complete stand-alone ECM with enormous capability. Not noob-friendly, but I'm jumping in the deep end. You usually see them on expensive club racers and tuner cars on the street. The adaptability allows use with super- and turbocharging, staged injection, NOS, and about anything else you can think of. That's why I'm using it, because my custom EFI setup isn't anything bolt-on and go.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

Luther I used these components: A688 kit, (coil, ballast resistor, cap, rotor, and FBO ECU) Dist. set-up by FBO per my 440's build spec., I already had Firecore plug wires and NGK XR5 plugs. I got 35.00 trade in for an old dist. as a core. For my 9 to 1 compression I gaped the plugs at .040, set initial timing at 12* and hooked the vacuum advance to a full manifold vacuum source. (Not one from the carb.) They use your cam lift @ 50%, compression and other specific details to set the phase, curve rate and degree of advance (all aspects) of the dist. for your engine from their data base. It worked, they were spot on, my idle is even "stronger" no monkeying around, set it like they tell you in the data sheet you get and done. I couldn't resist adding or shaving a degree or two on initial timing....the sweet spot was right where they said it would be. In my case I did use a new ECU engine harness and get the correct mounting bracket/coil clamp to add to my six pack. I also have Mancini Racing's "120amp Denso alt. kit" to insure plenty of proper voltage/amperes to feed it, like at idle where the old factory set-up is really weak. Notice his parts are made in USA and his warranty is 2 years.  :2thumbs: