News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It moves, again!

Started by grdprx, September 05, 2010, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

It moves under it's own power!!!!  I've had my 68 for 3 years and roughly half a month.  And it moved 40' under it's own power!   :2thumbs:

Only 40' cuz I got a brake issue, the front discs were locked up...  Got a thread in that section.

But, I'm thrilled.  So awesome!  I'm loading a video on You tube.. I'll post a link once it's ready.

grdprx

Got the video loaded.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbhy_FENWc

A brief explanation...  I have to reach down, because my shifter linkage isn't set up right, and there is only 2' of exhaust pipe currently..   :D My neighbors love it!  :nana:

The wheel spin is because I got high centered in the driveway.  The exhaust pipe didn't have much clearance.  As soon as it runs well enough to be driven, the first stop is the exhaust shop!

Supercharged Riot

whats your wheel setup?

grdprx

I have 245/60 15 on the front, 7" wheels.  Got the rears at a swap meet last year, 8.5"...  And they came with those tires.  325/50 15.  I want 275 or 295 60's, but my budget won't allow that right now.

Ride height is a little low in the front.  I need to figure out how to fix that, seemed like it was going to hit the fenders when it turned, and the camber looked weird.

tan top

:coolgleamA: so whats the plan , repaint  later on ?? original color or ???  whats the motor ? :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

grdprx

Quote from: tan top on September 06, 2010, 02:50:38 AM
:coolgleamA: so whats the plan , repaint later on ?? original color or ???  whats the motor ? :popcrn:

The "plan" ?   :rofl:   I'd like to paint it Viper blue, but paint costs so darn much, that will be years down the road.  My current idea is to learn how to shoot paint, and match the current blue on it.  I have the paint code somewhere.  The original color was the dark green.. 

It has a 440, just broke the motor in mid June.  A mild build, nothing too crazy; more horses under the hood than anything I've ever owned before though!

I'd like to be able to drive it and enjoy it as I fix her up.

Quote from: terrible one on September 06, 2010, 10:59:57 AM
CONGRATS DUDE! You beat me!  :'(

Thanks man!  I'm so stoked!  I still got miles to go, though.  (literally and figuratively!) 

Finn

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Love the stance!
That was a big day for me too. Congrats!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: grdprx on September 06, 2010, 02:27:05 AM
I have 245/60 15 on the front, 7" wheels.  Got the rears at a swap meet last year, 8.5"...  And they came with those tires.  325/50 15.  I want 275 or 295 60's, but my budget won't allow that right now.

Ride height is a little low in the front.  I need to figure out how to fix that, seemed like it was going to hit the fenders when it turned, and the camber looked weird.
Nice clear video.  Car looks great. :2thumbs:  To lift the car in the front just jack the front up so the front wheels are hanging and turn in those big screws ( one on each torsion bar ), a 1/2 turn at a time. Check the height and adjust again if needed.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Red Ram

"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

doctor4766

Quote from: grdprx on September 05, 2010, 11:31:26 PM
It moves under it's own power!!!!  I've had my 68 for 3 years and roughly half a month.  And it moved 40' under it's own power!   :2thumbs:

Only 40' cuz I got a brake issue, the front discs were locked up...  Got a thread in that section.

But, I'm thrilled.  So awesome!  I'm loading a video on You tube.. I'll post a link once it's ready.

What a great video!!
Must be up there as one of the BEST feelings a guy can have in his lifetime when she finally moves under her own power.
Gotta love a '69

chargergirl

That was GREAT! I can't wait!
Trust your Woobie!

MoparManJim

that was a good video man!  :2thumbs:

I know the feeling of getting the a charger running and being available tro move ir for the first time under it's own power.  :yesnod:

R6red4spd69RT

After watching the vid, this is why we do what we do!

Back N Black

grdprx

Thanks everyone!   :cheers:   I couldn't have done it without the help and guidance of everyone here.   :cheers:

grdprx

Getting ready to "Move" some more.  Working on the brake issue that prevented me from moving more than 40'...  Got my collector plate!  It's got a 68 in it, if I turn it upside down!   :rofl:

alcusswhen

It moves under it's own power!!!!  I've had my 68 for 3 years and roughly half a month.  And it moved 40' under it's own power!   :2thumbs:

Only 40' cuz I got a brake issue, the front discs were locked up...  Got a thread in that section.

But, I'm thrilled.  So awesome!  I'm loading a video on You tube.. I'll post a link once it's ready.

1st make sure you have a disc brake master cylinder, if you have the correct master replace both rubber brake lines. Old lines brake down inside, you can push fluid out but it cant come back leaving the braks locked up. Drum brake masters are designed to leave 10 psi of pressure on the wheel cylinders, the shoe springs pull the shoes back and overcome to 10 psi releasing the brakes. Calipers have nothing to push the pads back so 10 psi locks them up.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

chargerman67

Another one lives! good work  :2thumbs:
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

grdprx

Quote from: alcusswhen on November 05, 2010, 09:38:03 PM

1st make sure you have a disc brake master cylinder, if you have the correct master replace both rubber brake lines. Old lines brake down inside, you can push fluid out but it cant come back leaving the braks locked up. Drum brake masters are designed to leave 10 psi of pressure on the wheel cylinders, the shoe springs pull the shoes back and overcome to 10 psi releasing the brakes. Calipers have nothing to push the pads back so 10 psi locks them up.

It was a new brake kit, came with a 72 Prop valve tho.  It was a re-popped valve, and had a 50% fail rate.  I got the short end of the stick.  Ended up getting the $50 upgrade for the correct 68 valve..  Just need to bleed the brakes, see if it workes!  Maybe go more than 40'!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

Out freakin' standing! The vid was great.....loved the 2' exhaust pipe sound. Good for you man. Keep us posted........you know how we are - picture junkies.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: grdprx on September 06, 2010, 12:52:42 AM
Got the video loaded.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbhy_FENWc

A brief explanation...  I have to reach down, because my shifter linkage isn't set up right, and there is only 2' of exhaust pipe currently..   :D My neighbors love it!  :nana:

The wheel spin is because I got high centered in the driveway.  The exhaust pipe didn't have much clearance.  As soon as it runs well enough to be driven, the first stop is the exhaust shop!

Always love the way is sounds!!!!
Patrick  :punkrocka:

SRT-68

Fantastic! There is no greater feeling then the first time a project runs on its own power. Well done and great video!