News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just primered car, need advice on overspray issues....

Started by sixpack_sid, August 30, 2010, 10:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I just sprayed 2k eurothane primer on my 69 charger----getting ready to paint on the color. My question is that when I sprayed the primer on, A LOT of overspray was hanging in the air and dropped back on the car. I have a 2 car garage, no ventilation system. I was thinking of putting 3 box fans w/filters under one garage door for exhaust and another fan under the other door to blow clean air in. Will this work? I'd like to get this straightened out before I put on the color. I don't want a lot of overspray on the final coats. I am doing a base coat/clear coat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bakerhillpins

I think you might want to rethink the 3 vs 1 fan situation that you mentioned. While not really the same clean-room situation you are after here I use box fans in windows when doing drywall work. I use a negative pressure so that dust doesn't get pushed into the rest of the house. (Negative pressure - box fan blowing from in room to outside, with no fan blowing in. Air from the main house wants to push into the room and out the window.) I also open more windows to try to minimize the incoming turbulence stirring up more dust with an eye towards air flow through the room. Not a window right next to it. Want clean air to be pulled through the room.

With painting I would guess you would want positive pressure and a source that has been filtered. This will keep dust from being pulled into the paint area. You would need to balance the air supply speed so as to not create too much turbulence as to affect your spray.

Modern day paint fumes are DEADLY but I suspect since you are still alive you must be combating this somehow already.

Given any thought to making one bay into a mini booth using 8mi plastic and lots of duct tape?  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Silver R/T

you have to be very CAREFUL with the fans. One spark and you will blow up. You need special fans for spray booth, they're not just any regular fans. All that overspray is gonna hit fan and one spark will blow your whole garage with you in it. You're better off renting a spray booth from someone
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 30, 2010, 01:50:45 PM
I think you might want to rethink the 3 vs 1 fan situation that you mentioned. While not really the same clean-room situation you are after here I use box fans in windows when doing drywall work. I use a negative pressure so that dust doesn't get pushed into the rest of the house. (Negative pressure - box fan blowing from in room to outside, with no fan blowing in. Air from the main house wants to push into the room and out the window.) I also open more windows to try to minimize the incoming turbulence stirring up more dust with an eye towards air flow through the room. Not a window right next to it. Want clean air to be pulled through the room.

With painting I would guess you would want positive pressure and a source that has been filtered. This will keep dust from being pulled into the paint area. You would need to balance the air supply speed so as to not create too much turbulence as to affect your spray.

Modern day paint fumes are DEADLY but I suspect since you are still alive you must be combating this somehow already.

Given any thought to making one bay into a mini booth using 8mi plastic and lots of duct tape?  :shruggy:

The garage is detached from the house. I don't have any windows in the garage. I could open the front door. I am using a respirator to combat the fumes. How would I make a mini booth? What kind of fans do I use? I don't want to spend a whole lotta money on this--the paint cost enough!
Thanks for the help!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Silver R/T

Yon don't want to spend more money on it, better rent a spray booth. You need explosion proof fans for exhaust at least.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 30, 2010, 03:24:10 PM
you have to be very CAREFUL with the fans. One spark and you will blow up. You need special fans for spray booth, they're not just any regular fans. All that overspray is gonna hit fan and one spark will blow your whole garage with you in it. You're better off renting a spray booth from someone

If that's the case, the air compressor is in the garage where I'm painting, and every time it kicks on, it causes a spark--I guess I should have blown up already! I sprayed another Charger 7 years ago and don't remember having such overspray problems. In fact, I used the dollar store dust masks-no respirator and I was just fine. Did they change the make up of the paint since then? I did a base coat/ clear coat then as well. If I put filters in front of the exhaust box fans, won't that keep the paint from going to the motor?
My other issue is I have a lot of parts hanging next to the car-hood, deck lid, valance, fenders. I don't see how I could make a paint booth for one side of the garage, I couldn't fit everything in it.

Brock Lee

3M makes a paint masking liquid you spray on the car, then wash or peel off.

elitecustombody

you'll be fine with 2 box fans, put one in each corner at the door,make a frame with 3-4 20x20x1 cheap A/C filters between the fans and you're ready to go. you can also put a filter on each fan to cut down on overspray going outside

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

sixpack_sid

I decided to leave the doors open when I paint the color on. Afraid to use box fans with all the replies here about explosions. Hopefully, that will work out ok.

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Silver R/T

Quote from: sixpack_sid on August 30, 2010, 08:40:42 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on August 30, 2010, 03:24:10 PM

If that's the case, the air compressor is in the garage where I'm painting, and every time it kicks on, it causes a spark--I guess I should have blown up already! I sprayed another Charger 7 years ago and don't remember having such overspray problems. In fact, I used the dollar store dust masks-no respirator and I was just fine. Did they change the make up of the paint since then? I did a base coat/ clear coat then as well. If I put filters in front of the exhaust box fans, won't that keep the paint from going to the motor?
My other issue is I have a lot of parts hanging next to the car-hood, deck lid, valance, fenders. I don't see how I could make a paint booth for one side of the garage, I couldn't fit everything in it.

You don't want to skimp out on personal protection. You don't want to use dust mask for painting. Dust mask is for dust not for paint fumes. Also good shoot suit is a must, your body absorbs fumes from overspray
http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-Professional-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-62023HA1-NEW-/200513143762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaf83c3d2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Painter-Shoot-Suit-Full-Body-Coverage-Head-Toe-Large-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1088171cQQitemZ120536438556QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Patronus

Uhhh, yeah... blow up eh?  :smilielol: ...Anyway, go buy some box fans, (Im using 5 w/5 2x2 furnace filters at the other end). If you make a plastic booth, put the door at the exhaust end. When you come in to spray, brush yourself off in front of the fans, wear a $10 paint suit and a good clean respirator.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE