News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear disc brakes

Started by kokxville, August 26, 2010, 08:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

Well,i've heard rumors that there are rear disc brakes from another mopar ( a-body or? ) wich you can use on your charger.
Anyone familure with this,or tried it?

Thanks.

John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  that I'm aware of the only mopar with four wheel discs was the C-body chrysler 300 from '69, but i'll go and have to check that now... I'll get back to you on that...

OK a search on allpar reveals..

"4 wheel antilock brakes (1971 Imperial) — introduced during 1970. The only production car to have antilock brakes before that was the 1966 Jensen FF, a specialty car. Mercedes later claimed that its S-Class was the first production car with antilock brakes, in the late 1970s. But then, Mercedes also invented the car over a century after the invention of the car."

I remember road testing a '70 hurst 300 in the mid '80s and the owner telling me on the freeway to "get her up to 80 MPH and stand on the brakes". which i quite willingly did, and the stable, short stopping power really left an impression,
I wanted to refit my Charger with those brakes but the C-body sized components weren't really compatible once i got into it. I'm sure there are ways to do it now, but are probably quite pricey.

http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.com/70/7421953/general-mopar-technical-discussion/69-b-body-disc-brake-conversion/index.html

http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.com/70/8173500/automotive-brakes/poor-brake-force-after-disc-brake-conversion-on-my/index.html
 So, from what I'm reading on the web both A body and C body four wheel disc retrofits are possible but the B-Body application is a pricey aftermarket deal..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43405.0.html

kokxville

Hey Brock,

Thanks for your info. :2thumbs:

John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Bigun426

Had a guy convert a 9 3/4 rear from a truck to fit my 66. Part of the conversion was disc brakes. He said he used the rear brake set up from a camero and the front disc from an Intrepid. He fabricated and welded brackets to the housing for the calipers to attach to. Fit and works great but haven't driven it on the road yet.

Brock Samson

It's funny they got em on As and Cs but not on Bs..  :shruggy: of course most of the energy/heat in stopping these sleds is used/dissipated  up front...