News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

in comparison what would a 69 charger right off the showroom floor with a hemi,4 speed run in the quarter? i know some of you guys would have those #'s and that is with drum brakes, old school front suspension etc....... :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

UFO

Looking at a old road test of a charger 500,hemi 4spd 3.23- 13.60 107 mph.
Looks like that is on a F70 series tire.

A different mag ran a 13.48 109mph with a car having a 4.10 rear gear.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: UFO on February 06, 2011, 11:25:26 AM

Exactly! Stock 425hp 426 Hemi, narrow bias-ply tires, no traction compound, no advantageous first gear, no overdrive top gear, no lightweight wheels and tube front suspension, no aluminum heads or lightweight headers, and the list goes on.

This Hemified Charger should have been into the 12s, if not lower. My  :Twocents:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

UFO

I would think that both cars should have been a couple seconds quicker.

ccr-host

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 06, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
Dan, working out the kinks in a new car build is nothing new to any of us. In fact, it would have been entirely reasonable to see an entire episode of CCR devoted to seeing how much of the Charger's components had to be readjusted.
I fully realize that you all were under a time crunch. And it was entirely unreasonable for you to have to test a completely unproven product against a factory-built performance car, albeit with an add-on supercharger.
For all of us hangers-on, faithfully watching this series unfold over the course of the last few months, and waving the Charger banner in support of this build, to have this wrap up in the manner it has is very disappointing.
To save face, and to prove it's worth, I'm going to ask you and Shafi Keisler to take the Charger back to an official racetrack and get a REAL run in.
Post the video on your Youtube CCR page.

We NEED some better numbers than that!! - If only for closure.

Don't be surprised to see that happen. We pushed the teams very hard to meet two very different deadlines this season.

1.   Build a showcar
2.   Build a racecar

And we made them do it to the same car.

Dialing any car in is seldom a wham-bam onetime thing.  That's why you see so many burnout marks in industrial areas. I'm sure the next time the Charger goes to the track; it will be a second faster. Then a second faster again on the third date. The set up was done so quickly it was mostly guess work. The down time between Pinks All Out and California Speedway was spent primarily fixing the gas leak properly and the throw-out replacement. Don't be too disappointed. Time is a great equalizer. Given more time, I have no doubt that Charger would run in the high 12's... with a different driver of course!   :lol:

ccr-host

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 06, 2011, 11:33:24 AM

Exactly! Stock 425hp 426 Hemi, narrow bias-ply tires, no traction compound, no advantageous first gear, no overdrive top gear, no lightweight wheels and tube front suspension, no aluminum heads or lightweight headers, and the list goes on.

This Hemified Charger should have been into the 12s, if not lower. My  :Twocents:

We don't have aluminum heads and we didn't have any traction compound. The wheels are show wheels, they weigh almost as much as steel wheels. the header weight isn't much different than stock manifolds They simply provide better flow. The only weight reduction we did was to remove the console and that was simply to improve the shift range throw.

Guys, the biggest improvement would have been behind the wheel. This was only my second time driving at the strip. I was just proud that I didn't red-light!  :2thumbs:

472 R/T SE

Ghoste

We need to get you up to speed somehow Dan.  You should have taken a little time off before the shoot to have some secret dragstrip time with a willing tutor so we could mold you into your own ringer. :icon_smile_big:

nvrbdn

dan you driving would be like me driving butterflies and out of element (of course my element has become a recliner and tv). and we understand the need for qualifing runs to work the bugs out. my buddy needs 3 trips to the track to be totally ready to put the chebbys and dorfs on the trailer. the show went well and held its own at sema. now for the dvd throw us dogs a bone with that thing roasting tires in the water box and launching like we know it should. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ccr-host

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 06, 2011, 01:09:42 PM
Did you 3 pedal it @ the line?

Not on the line. But, I did in the waterbox. It fishtailed nicely.

The suspension was very stiff and it didn't spin at all. I think I had a car length on him right at the start.

One of the hardest things to capture on film is the sense of speed because the camera pans with the cars as they pass so it creates an illussion of a slower speed.

I'll tell you all, I'd be happy to take some practice runs. But, not in the Charger. Beating the snot out of a showcar on the strip is a little nerve-racking.

Richard Cranium

After seeing the latest edition of the show and really taking a good look at the Corvette, I just have to say that it's just plain fugly.
I am Dr. Remulac

harddrivin1le

With all due respect, I have more than 40 original 426 Hemi car road tests, many of which were performed on 9" wide drag slicks prior running.  Some were driven by professional drag racers like Ronnie Sox.  Many were professionally tuned/"tweaked" on the spot by factory mechanics.  And some were factory "ringers."  And the only example I'm aware of that touched 109 MPH on the quarter was a Ronnie Sox driven Road Runner that has been fitted with a "Racer Brown" cam and open headers.   

Despite all that, not a single one cracked the 13.2 barrier and most of them were slower.  105.5 MPH was considered very fast for a truly production line stock 426 Hemi Charger, as obtained by CAR LIFE in 1969.

The engine was rated at 425 Gross HP; it produced roughly 375 SAE Net HP when "perfectly tuned" (but otherwise bone stock), which is the way engines in the US have been rated since the 1972 model year.  Truly production line stock 426 Hemi cars have difficulty cracking 300 rear wheel horsepower on Dynojet inertia dynos.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/late_model/mopp_9912_hemi_vs_viper_roadtest/index.html

In fact, Dodge and Plymouth provided both gross AND net HP figures in their 1971 product literature and they rated the 426 Hemi at 350 SAE Net HP.  http://www.stockmopar.com/_images/brochures/1971-plymouth-rapid-transit-system-brochure/1971-plymouth-rapid-transit-system-brochure-12.jpg

Hemi cars running in NHRA "stock" classes in the sixties had difficulty getting into the mid twelves and they were allowed to run mods - like open long tube headers, blueprinted to NHRA tech spec engines, 9" wide drag slicks, indexed valve trains and hotter-than-production cam grinds.  Virtually all of the Hemis running in those classes ran huge gears (i.e. 4.56 axle ratios).  The cars running in "Super Stock" classes got into the high elevens, but they were allowed to run many more mods (radical cams, any intake/carb arrangements, worked cylinder heads, etc.  Those produced roughly 550 - 575 "as installed" HP - 200 more HP than the production line stock 426 Hemi street cars.

So what a production line stock '68+ Hemi Charger boils downs to is a 4,100 pound+ car powered by a 350 - 375 HP engine.  That's not an overly fast car by modern standards.  It could be MADE much faster through modifications, but so can most other cars.

"Stock" 426 street Hemis today can make as much as 450 Net HP on Shell 93 V-Power gas, but those "stock" engines aren't stock.  They're running modern cam grinds (often times roller cams), lightweight rods and pistons, worked cylinder heads, port-matched intake and exhaust manifolds, mandrel bent, 2-1/2" custom exhaust systems with low restriction, modern mufflers.

A new, bone stock, base engine Corvette will still smoke that.

Back N Black

Quote from: harddrivin1le on February 06, 2011, 08:29:31 PM

This Hemified Charger should have been into the 12s, if not lower. My  :Twocents:

With all due respect, I have more than 40 original 426 Hemi car road tests, many of which were performed on 9" wide drag slicks prior running.  Some were driven by professional drag racers like Ronnie Sox.  Many were professionally tuned/"tweaked" on the spot by factory mechanics.  And some were factory "ringers."  And the only example I'm aware of that touched 109 MPH on the quarter was a Ronnie Sox driven Road Runner that has been fitted with a "Racer Brown" cam and open headers.  

Despite all that, not a single one cracked the 13.2 barrier and most of them were slower.  105 MPH was considered very fast for a truly production line stock 426 Hemi Charger, as obtained by CAR LIFE in 1969.

The engine was rated at 425 Gross HP; it produced roughly 375 SAE Net HP when "perfectly tuned" (but otherwise bone stock), which is the way engines in the US have been rated since the 1972 model year.  Truly production line stock 426 Hemi cars have difficulty cracking 300 rear wheel horsepower on Dynojet inertia dynos.

In fact, Dodge and Plymouth provided both gross AND net HP figures in their 1971 product literature and they rated the 426 Hemi at 350 SAE Net HP.  http://www.stockmopar.com/_images/brochures/1971-plymouth-rapid-transit-system-brochure/1971-plymouth-rapid-transit-system-brochure-12.jpg

So what a '68+ Hemi Charger boils downs to is a 4,100 pound+ car powered by a 350 - 375 HP engine.  That's not a fact car by modern standards.  It could be MADE much faster through modifications, but so can most other cars.

So why is there so much hype over a HEMI Engine?  a 440 can reach that HP with little modifications.

DC_1

Quote from: ccr-host on February 06, 2011, 03:10:26 PM

I think I had a car length on him right at the start.

Didn't Laurent the Vette driver say they had to start the Vette off in second gear?.......if so, not much of a feat there Dan!  :D

ccr-host

Quote from: Sydmoe on February 06, 2011, 08:53:30 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on February 06, 2011, 03:10:26 PM

I think I had a car length on him right at the start.

Didn't Laurent the Vette driver say they had to start the Vette off in second gear?.......if so, not much of a feat there Dan!  :D

That's what he "said"... But, what he "did" may not be the same thing. He's crafty! :smoke:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I liked the Vette....they did a nice job on that one as well.

Flame suit on!! ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 06, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Flame suit on!! ;)

Did 'ya say flame suit?!?! ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nvrbdn

Flame suit on!! ;)

being a vette dis liker (does that work?) i thought it was kinda cool how they chopped it up to make the panels. actually i cheered while they cut up a new vette and cried "NO" when they started putting it back together. :nana:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

doctor4766

Quote from: nvrbdn on February 07, 2011, 10:12:38 AM

Flame suit on!! ;)

being a vette dis liker (does that work?) i thought it was kinda cool how they chopped it up to make the panels. actually i cheered while they cut up a new vette and cried "NO" when they started putting it back together. :nana:

LMAO
Gotta love a '69

ccr-host

So, the cycle has started again today. If anyone missed any episodes, your chance for redemption has arrived!  :smilielol:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: ccr-host on February 13, 2011, 01:06:30 PM
So, the cycle has started again today. If anyone missed any episodes, your chance for redemption has arrived!  :smilielol:

You will have to excuse my late arrival to the scene. I discovered last night that Dish has slipped Speed back into my programming package. I haven't yet determined if its one of their "free previews" but I was in the office this AM trying to figure out when the next show was on to start DVRing the show. Did I miss a rebroadcast of the first episode?

Either Speed TV's website blows or I am just a lame navigator but I couldn't find anything that looked like an episode guide for Season 7? At least not one that made it clear that these X episodes are season 7 and this was their original broadcast order.  :shruggy:
http://www.speedtv.com/programs/chop-cut-rebuild/episodes/

It also seems that none of it is filmed in HD?  [Edit] Nevermind - the main page made the HD question obvious.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Removing double post.... Guess I answered my question about my navigation skills.  :brickwall:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

nvrbdn

yea , over the weekend they had the first episode. but your in luck because every weekend they re-show the week before then the new episode. so next weekend you should get 1 & 2. thats if they do it the same as last time.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Back N Black

A little of the topic, but Dan what do you have in your own personal garage? if you don't mind me asking.  :2thumbs:

thedodgeboys

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 14, 2011, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: ccr-host on February 13, 2011, 01:06:30 PM
So, the cycle has started again today. If anyone missed any episodes, your chance for redemption has arrived!  :smilielol:

You will have to excuse my late arrival to the scene. I discovered last night that Dish has slipped Speed back into my programming package. I haven't yet determined if its one of their "free previews" but I was in the office this AM trying to figure out when the next show was on to start DVRing the show. Did I miss a rebroadcast of the first episode?

Next Saturday at 6:30 central time is the repeat and seven is the next new one. BTW if you go to the search function of your sat box and type in Chop Cut rebuild it will find them for you. :)