News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccr-host

Quote from: hemigeno on January 13, 2011, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: ccr-host on January 05, 2011, 07:54:04 PM
Read this again... "There are no other numbers on the block!"

If there should be other numbers, then I'm guessing Shafi is correct in saying it is a warranty block.

BTW, no one has explained the numbers that ARE on the block. Are they date codes?

Conventional (Mopar) knowledge is that S denotes "Service Engine" and indicates a warranty engine.  I can't say whether it means warranty block or warranty engine.  The 440 shortblock installed in my '69 car under warranty during the 1973 calendar year had no such marks on it - the ID pad was totally blank, but it's known to have been just a short block and not a complete engine assembly as this one may have been.

6 17 is the Engine Assembly Date, June 17th.  Not sure what year since there are no other clues such as casting date, etc.

2 merely shows the block was assembled on the second shift.  Notably absent is the "HP" stamp that would be present on an engine assembled with the hi-po camshaft, etc.

I question why anyone would replace a Hemi-powered car with any B/RB engine under warranty, if for no other reason than it would require a K-frame swap too.  You'd also think installing a Hemi shortblock assembly and hanging all the other original components back on the block would be simpler (and cheaper??) - since they would have needed a complete engine assembly from air cleaner to oilpan vs. a shortblock.  Doesn't pass the smell test to me, but that's just my opinion and worth about as much as I'm being paid for it (i.e. nothing).

Those were my thoughts too. But, Shafi tells me it wasn't all that rare because the 440 was a more reliable engine back then and the whole "That thing got a Hemi?", mania wasn't as strong then too.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hemigeno

Quote from: ccr-host on January 13, 2011, 01:59:18 PM
Those were my thoughts too. But, Shafi tells me it wasn't all that rare because the 440 was a more reliable engine back then and the whole "That thing got a Hemi?", mania wasn't as strong then too.

Also meant getting a whole new exhaust system too - or at least a new H-pipe.

What size steel fuel lines were in the car originally?  Hemicars were the only ones that received 3/8" fuel lines from the tank to the engine, all others got 5/16" lines (even though 440 cars did get the larger 3/8" fuel tank pickup/sending unit, go figure).  It's doubtful that anyone would have bothered to change fuel lines, since the bigger lines would have worked just fine.

resq302

Well, if its anything like the ones here in the northern part of NJ that Ive seen and met at some shows, I think they will need a proctologist to remove their heads out of their asses!  No offence to anyone on this board if you own a fiberglass wonder car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TUFCAT

then I'm guessing Shafi is correct in saying it is a warranty block.

Seriously??  

There's no way Chrysler would do that under warranty! :brickwall:

I expected Shafi to be more knoweledgeable about Mopar history...he's been involved in our hobby for decades. :D  He's no novice to Mopars.

You can market a car any way you want......but you can't document a car without documentation.

"Warranty Block 440" -  my ass!  :moon:

If you accept Shafi's "Warranty Block logic" - - then you should also agree this could be a "rare" 440 built XP car.... :scope:

In reality its probably an "XP" typo that should have been an "XS".

I question why anyone would replace a Hemi-powered car with any B/RB engine under warranty, if for no other reason than it would require a K-frame swap too.  You'd also think installing a Hemi shortblock assembly and hanging all the other original components back on the block would be simpler (and cheaper??) - since they would have needed a complete engine assembly from air cleaner to oilpan vs. a shortblock.  Doesn't pass the smell test to me, but that's just my opinion and worth about as much as I'm being paid for it (i.e. nothing).

Geno I agree with you!  In fact I posted the same type of reply on the previous page - reply #836.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

It was easier to maintain which to a lot of mechanics back in the day was likely about the same as more reliable. :lol:

Chris G.

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 13, 2011, 05:51:27 PM
You can market a car any way you want......

What do you think this entire thread was really about?  :scratchchin:

Come on guys....

TUFCAT

Quote from: Chris G. on January 13, 2011, 07:19:24 PM

What do you think this entire thread was really about?  :scratchchin:

Come on guys....

This could become the worlds most undocumented car that wants to be well documented.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yay!   :angel:

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 13, 2011, 07:32:48 PM

Come on guys....

This could become the worlds most undocumented car that wants to be well documented.

Yay again! :pushup:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Alaskan_TA

QuoteS = Service Replacement Block.

S actually means "special' see http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1969/D69-25-1%20page5.jpg

Warranty blocks came with aluminum warranty tags.

The70RT

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 13, 2011, 09:09:01 PM

S actually means "special' see http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1969/D69-25-1%20page5.jpg

What about short blocks  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alaskan_TA

Typically, if there was a block problem the dealership would re-use the top end & accessories on the new block.

I have heard of warranty blocks, I think we all have. But have you ever heard of a warranty engine? I haven't that I can recall.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 13, 2011, 09:09:01 PM

Good gravy...while you're at it, what color writing/style of font did they use on the tags?

DAY CLONA

Good gravy...while you're at it, what color writing/style of font did they use on the tags?
[/quote]

ccr-host

Come on guys....

Well, it's certainly trying to be the most debated car in the world.  :yesnod:

Blakcharger440

Come on guys....

I would agree with that.....and I still stay the absence of a casting date on the side of the block is unusual. I have never seen one like that.

The70RT

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 14, 2011, 06:22:37 AM

Come on guys....

I would agree with that.....and I still stay the absence of a casting date on the side of the block is unusual. I have never seen one like that.

I'm not sure if when he asked about the stampings if he checked the side for casting the date? I know some blocks came without the warrenty tag though.

hemigeno

Quote from: The70RT on January 14, 2011, 06:38:26 AM
I know some blocks came without the warrenty tag though.

:yesnod:

My '73-dated 440 shortblock assembly had no tag or evidence there ever was a tag (i.e. hole where the round-headed "nail" would have gone).

Obviously some - maybe most ?? - blocks had a tag, but not all of them did.

nvrbdn

well what happens if im a backwoods good ole boy who got his hands on a cheap, run the crap out of, charger that nobody wanted cuz gas is going up and the insurance is high. then i also drive the crap out of it since driving fast on dirt roads is super cool with an orange charger. well i smoke the engine. we tow it home where we have an old newyorker that billy bob wrapped around a tree (pretending it was an orange charger also). well heck billy bob, can i take your 440 since your car is toast? who cares that it isnt original or even the same size motor? i got my car running again and can drive fast on dirt roads again. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Alaskan_TA

From what I have seen so far, warranty blocks had tags.

Blocks bought as service replacements did not have tags.

The70RT

Oh ok, I have a service short block then. The pad is blank, here is my service invoice from way back then.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: The70RT on January 14, 2011, 06:38:26 AM
Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 14, 2011, 06:22:37 AM

Come on guys....

I'm not sure if when he asked about the stampings if he checked the side for casting the date? I know some blocks came without the warrenty tag though.

It is weird that they havent checked the casting date.... that would  settle alot of things.

ccr-host

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 14, 2011, 06:19:40 PM
well what happens if im a backwoods good ole boy who got his hands on a cheap, run the crap out of, charger that nobody wanted cuz gas is going up and the insurance is high. then i also drive the crap out of it since driving fast on dirt roads is super cool with an orange charger. well i smoke the engine. we tow it home where we have an old newyorker that billy bob wrapped around a tree (pretending it was an orange charger also). well heck billy bob, can i take your 440 since your car is toast? who cares that it isnt original or even the same size motor? i got my car running again and can drive fast on dirt roads again. :2thumbs:

If you had met the guys in Tennessee that Shafi bought the car from, then this is the most logical post on these boards! :cheers:

KEISLER

then I'm guessing Shafi is correct in saying it is a warranty block.

Seriously??  

There's no way Chrysler would do that under warranty! :brickwall:

I expected Shafi to be more knoweledgeable about Mopar history...he's been involved in our hobby for decades. :D  He's no novice to Mopars.

You can market a car any way you want......but you can't document a car without documentation.

"Warranty Block 440" -  my ass!  :moon:

If you accept Shafi's "Warranty Block logic" - - then you should also agree this could be a "rare" 440 built XP car.... :scope:

Geno I agree with you!  In fact I posted the same type of reply on the previous page - reply #836.  :2thumbs:

GEEZ ... somebody get me a gun so I can shoot myself!

WHAT I SAID is that this 440 engine was, according to Galen Govier's report, a warranty block out of a 1970 car, and it had C body HP manifolds on it.  I DID NOT SAY that was the warranty engine for this car.  THAT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS.  :brickwall:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just watched todays episode... Legendary did a nice job on the headliner.  Something Id like to do to mine soon.

A little concerned on the trunk divider statement that they made..... "it just hangs there on those 2 hooks & thats it."

What about the retaining clips that screw in to the top?

Also why would you take rusted/nasty old body plugs out of a donor car when they can be had new repro?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T