News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Quote from: ccr-host on January 05, 2011, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Sydmoe on January 05, 2011, 01:12:59 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on January 05, 2011, 12:19:26 PM
Ok VIN detectives, here's the scoop on the engine found in the XP car by Craig Hopkins:

"stamped on the block up by the dist. in this configuration is":

S        440

6        17       2

There are no other numbers on the block! Geet those heads a scratchin'. :2thumbs:

Can you post a pic of the engine pad? We are men ya know, everything is visual!

I can ask Craig to take a picture. I don't want to impose too much on him. He's trying to run a business and it could be a distraction.

What is the casting number on the side of the block? I am guessing that block should start with a 3 and it should be 7 digits long then a dash along with the core shift number.

ccr-host

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 05, 2011, 06:03:47 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on January 05, 2011, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Sydmoe on January 05, 2011, 01:12:59 PM
Ok VIN detectives, here's the scoop on the engine found in the XP car by Craig Hopkins:

"stamped on the block up by the dist. in this configuration is":

S        440

6        17       2

There are no other numbers on the block! Geet those heads a scratchin'. :2thumbs:

Can you post a pic of the engine pad? We are men ya know, everything is visual!

I can ask Craig to take a picture. I don't want to impose too much on him. He's trying to run a business and it could be a distraction.

What is the casting number on the side of the block? I am guessing that block should start with a 3 and it should be 7 digits long then a dash along with the core shift number.

Read this again... "There are no other numbers on the block!"

If there should be other numbers, then I'm guessing Shafi is correct in saying it is a warranty block.

BTW, no one has explained the numbers that ARE on the block. Are they date codes?

The70RT

There should be casting numbers on the side of the block. 8 - 29 - 73 on this block. The stamping pad on my warrenty block is blank.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TUFCAT

BTW, no one has explained the numbers that ARE on the block. Are they date codes?

I already took a shot....see previous page.

My logic doesn't translate "S" to any 440 production year. :scratchchin:

Can anyone solve this mystery....? Hello....? Anyone....? Bueller....?  :nana:

I'm tapped out. :icon_smile_wink:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: The70RT on January 05, 2011, 08:45:09 PM
There should be casting numbers on the side of the block. 8 - 29 - 73 on this block. The stamping pad on my warrenty block is blank.

Exactly....there should be casting numbers on the side of the block EVEN on a warranty block which I dont think that it is. I think most likely it is out of a RV or truck 1973-78

DC_1

Maybe the S is an 8 in which case it would be a 1978 block With a June 17 shift 2 build date  :shruggy:

Alaskan_TA

I just have to wonder at this point.....

If the original engine block for this car (whatever it was) did exist, but had thrown three rods out the sides, would the VIN pad & engine ID pad have been cut off & glued or welded to a new block?  :shruggy:

HANDM

Quote from: ccr-host on January 04, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
We may be in the market to buy a POS Duster or Demon... Anyone have one (or two) they want to part with? :icon_smile_question:

There is a 73 340 Duster on the local craigslist every now and again (Snohomish county WA.) Claims to have the original engine/ trans, appears to be in good restorable condition. I think he wants 1500 without engine 2500 with.

I will check and post the link if it's up again

Khyron

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 06, 2011, 12:01:32 AM
If the original engine block for this car (whatever it was) did exist, but had thrown three rods out the sides, would the VIN pad & engine ID pad have been cut off & glued or welded to a new block?  :shruggy:

:popcrn:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

nvrbdn

ok dan i heard back from my guy and this is what he has,

70 duster original 6 cyl car good frames need trunk pan quarter panel no interior
                rolling chassis $1800.00 w/72 340 and auto trans $3000.00

69 dart floor replaced need quarter replaced (included) seat frames original 4 speed car
          with non correct but date correct 340 w/correct heads bell house A883 trans $4200.00

those are in the st.louis area,said he would let the 69 340 and a883 go with the 70 duster for 3800.00 but would rather keep it with the 69 dart where it belongs. so if your interested in either of these get that silver tounge on it and talk him into a deal and get your next project :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

472 R/T SE

S = Service Replacement Block.

So does that mean the previous owner bought the short block from the dealership?

I always thought the warranty blocks had a "W" stamped on the ID pad along with the little metal tags on each side.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 06, 2011, 07:29:02 PM
S = Service Replacement Block.

So does that mean the previous owner bought the short block from the dealership?

I always thought the warranty blocks had a "W" stamped on the ID pad along with the little metal tags on each side.

[edit]

"If" the original numbers matching block was deemed unserviceable under warranty, it could have been replaced with a "S"-service block. Prior to this, I had no idea what an "S" block meant.  :shruggy:

Anyway, its EXTREMELY unlikely, (okay, let's just call it "IMPOSSIBLE") that Chrysler would substitute a 440 in place of a 383 or Hemi for any warranty repair. :image_294343:

Since no real documentation exists we're all just "pissing in the wind" with our theories. However, this "S" block 440 should never be installed by a dealership or Chrysler Corp...  considering the VIN - -  Ever!  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Just 6T9 CHGR

The typo that makes the most sense is the price class, not the engine designation.

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 06, 2011, 09:01:01 PM
The typo that makes the most sense is the price class, not the engine designation.

this car has a typo and a P for price class  ,  wow what a typo  :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ccr-host

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 06, 2011, 02:39:54 PM
ok dan i heard back from my guy and this is what he has,

70 duster original 6 cyl car good frames need trunk pan quarter panel no interior
                rolling chassis $1800.00 w/72 340 and auto trans $3000.00

69 dart floor replaced need quarter replaced (included) seat frames original 4 speed car
          with non correct but date correct 340 w/correct heads bell house A883 trans $4200.00

those are in the st.louis area,said he would let the 69 340 and a883 go with the 70 duster for 3800.00 but would rather keep it with the 69 dart where it belongs. so if your interested in either of these get that silver tounge on it and talk him into a deal and get your next project :2thumbs:

I'll know next week what we're looking for. Both sound very promising. The worse the better!

Tilar

We may be in the market to buy a POS Duster or Demon... Anyone have one (or two) they want to part with? :icon_smile_question:

Are there finders fees involved? Like an all expense paid trip to the taping of a show?  :smilielol:

The top link looks like it may be what you're looking for, but the bottom one comes with a parts car which you'll need if he takes everything off that he claims he's keeping.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2135328542.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2078871506.html

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ccr-host

Quote from: Tilar on January 08, 2011, 06:07:07 AM

Are there finders fees involved? Like an all expense paid trip to the taping of a show?  :smilielol:

The top link looks like it may be what you're looking for, but the bottom one comes with a parts car which you'll need if he takes everything off that he claims he's keeping.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2135328542.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2078871506.html

Thanks! They look good too! Lots of choice out there.

ccr-host

A little off topic but, perhaps of interest to some here: I will be selling my 1975 Bricklin SV1 at the Scottsdale, Arizona Russo and Steele auction; January 19th - 23rd. This rare car is being sold WITHOUT RESERVE to the highest bid. For more details:  http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector-car/1975-Bricklin-SV1-Custom/6647

Thanks for looking!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: ccr-host on January 08, 2011, 11:42:26 AM
A little off topic but, perhaps of interest to some here: I will be selling my 1975 Bricklin SV1 at the Scottsdale, Arizona Russo and Steele auction; January 19th - 23rd. This rare car is being sold WITHOUT RESERVE to the highest bid. For more details:  http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector-car/1975-Bricklin-SV1-Custom/6647

Thanks for looking!

Meh...at least its a cool color :shruggy:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TUFCAT

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 06, 2011, 09:01:01 PM

I'm on board with your theory Chris.  :2thumbs:

Here's a quick story about how things can get messed up from the factory.

My Dad bought a used 1969 Charger 500 in 1975....

The VIN plate had the correct "XX" but the Michigan title read "XS"

It probably happened because the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) had a typo, and this error was carried onto the title when sold new, then subsequently passed onto all previous owners.

The title error was corrected when my Dad got it in his name. :yesnod:

ccr-host

Hey all,
Sorry for not checking in here. I've been up to my eyeballs for the past few days (boy this site sure bumps ya fast - page 2 in just a couple of days? Wow). Anyway, I thought I'd give our new friends here some inside scoop. We will be building another Mopar next season! A key sponsor has just signed up and we'll be selecting the project next week, with filming to start as early as Feb. 1st. Once details with SPEED are firmed up. The finished project will again be revealed at the SEMA show in Vegas (love that town - so quiet and quaint  ::).

It will be a few months before the new season premiers, so please keep watching the new episodes of Season 7. Then watch them again, and again, until 8 is ready! :brickwall:  :D

Dans 68

Good news, Dan.  :2thumbs:   Give us a hint..."A" body?  :scratchchin:  "E" body?  Another "B" body?  :icon_smile_big: 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Richard Cranium

Just for curiosity, are you on the Corvette forum explaining that project as much as you are here?
I am Dr. Remulac

hemigeno

Quote from: ccr-host on January 05, 2011, 07:54:04 PM
Read this again... "There are no other numbers on the block!"

If there should be other numbers, then I'm guessing Shafi is correct in saying it is a warranty block.

Conventional (Mopar) knowledge is that S denotes "Service Engine" and indicates a warranty engine.  I can't say whether it means warranty block or warranty engine.  The 440 shortblock installed in my '69 car under warranty during the 1973 calendar year had no such marks on it - the ID pad was totally blank, but it's known to have been just a short block and not a complete engine assembly as this one may have been.

6 17 is the Engine Assembly Date, June 17th.  Not sure what year since there are no other clues such as casting date, etc.

2 merely shows the block was assembled on the second shift.  Notably absent is the "HP" stamp that would be present on an engine assembled with the hi-po camshaft, etc.

I question why anyone would replace a Hemi-powered car with any B/RB engine under warranty, if for no other reason than it would require a K-frame swap too.  You'd also think installing a Hemi shortblock assembly and hanging all the other original components back on the block would be simpler (and cheaper??) - since they would have needed a complete engine assembly from air cleaner to oilpan vs. a shortblock.  Doesn't pass the smell test to me, but that's just my opinion and worth about as much as I'm being paid for it (i.e. nothing).

ccr-host

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 13, 2011, 07:43:32 AM

Just for curiosity, are you on the Corvette forum explaining that project as much as you are here?

Are you kidding? Have you ever talked with a Vette owner?  :smilielol: