News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

hey GHoste did i name you,no.i was agreeing with most all of your vin and eng #post.i only have seen the show where it gets to the shop and some teardown.only saw finished pics here,this morning.                 i like to see good complete cars restored, and at 51 years old think it is totally find to take a rusty shell that is missing major parts and have fun and make a hot rod and drive the wheels off and build it again .i always try to keep the body un cut.
      like your ride and the movie cmdl  .there is a place for stock and modified in my world.i never had the big dollar cars to be concered with date code head lights and belts.have been to shows with my 67 gtx ragtop that i got for 300 back in 85,and my buddies 69 superbee. and these know it all asses tear into both cars over the color changes and stupid little things that are non correct or stock. both our cars are driven and drag raced and non trailored...  
        have non posted much.have read most of the builds and only found one the white daytona that seems close to the work that ccr did to save this rusted shell...    really like the white daytona and great respect for his vision and ablyity to save that shell and make a great car.     if you saw my cars you would see no sheep or cookie cutter cars here.i build with what i can afford and trade for...    ya al have fun out there and drive real cars======mopars

Ghoste

No, you didn't name me by name.  I tend to fall on the side of purists when debates come up on the forum though so you have to understand that I would be personally affronted whether right or wrong.  FWIW, I would still have taken exception to your post although I would have chosen less confrontational wording (which was done because I saw your post as confrontational and so...)
I suppose it does illustrate how easy it is for things in a purely written format to get out of hand.  For the sake of this continuing in a positive manner I will go back and eliminate the first couple of sentences and edit some others.   

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Ghoste on December 18, 2010, 12:26:00 PM
No original drivetrain in the car when it was found.

That would mean that they stamped original VIN numbers onto a block that was not original to the car. I didnt know that was legal? It it was then every car would be "numbers matching" again.

Is stamping a block with different VIN numbers to match a car that doesnt have the original engine in it legal?

Ghoste

I'm not sure if it is or not.  I know there are some who will argue that only the dash VIN matters and everything else is just there for fluff.  My personal opinion is that the numbers were required to be put there by federal law as an attempt to frustrate car thieves and chop shops (no pun or irony intended) and if it that doesn't make it illegal then there are some loopholes in the law.
Legal or not it damned sure is wrong even just from a hobbyist point of view.  As has come up on the forum many times there is one reason and only one reason to restamp a block, because you know it will increase the value of the vehicle.  The fact alone makes it a dishonest practice.

BigBlockSam

QuoteLegal or not it damned sure is wrong even just from a hobbyist point of view.

:yesnod: it's wrong to re-stamp a motor.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

revshag

If you're looking for another Mopar to do, do a New Charger.  When you finish with the Chop and Cut, STOP.  :icon_smile_big:

Chris

Ghoste

lexxman

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

im gona have to go back and rewatch that episode again about the block. the one they had was found to have a crack or hole in the bottom of a cylinder wall so the builders found a different hemi block to use. wasnt really paying attention, so i dont remember them saying they were stamping #'s on it. mabey they did and i missed it.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

twodko

What in hell is this????:flame:

"and to all you overly anal girls on your periods or with your granny pantys in a bunch,take a pill or whole bottle of pills"

Comments like this are way out of line, unnecessary and degrading........grow up!  :down:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

doctor4766

Actually, here's a thought......

Dan, take a new Charger and coupe it.
Get AMD to have door glasses, long doorskins and rear 1/4 windows made so it all fits together nicely and then after the show has aired you all sell off conversion kits to the masses who are disappointed that their Charger still has 4 doors......

Gotta love a '69

Chris G.

Quote from: Ghoste on December 18, 2010, 02:12:10 PM
Legal or not it damned sure is wrong even just from a hobbyist point of view. 

You got that right, and there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do it unless down the road it gets advertised as #'s matching.

The people that do it will sugarcoat the hell out of it and make it sound like they are perfect little angels...sit back and watch.

TUFCAT

I watch the latest episode today.

I always thought (based on the picture from page #22) that the car was not painted its correct T5 copper color...to me it looked to orangey, and to brite...

I reserved judgement because of the photos, but my suspicions are now confirmed.

They used a "House of Color" shade.

If this was my car, it would be painted the correct Chrysler T5 color - especially on a car with so much history.  :Twocents: :Twocents:    

ccr-host

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 19, 2010, 01:16:05 PM

I always thought (based on the picture from page #22) that the car was not painted its correct T5 copper color...to be it looked to orangey, and to brite...

I reserved judgement because of the photos, but my suspicions are now confirmed.

If this was my car, it would be painted the correct Chrysler T5 color - especially on a car with so much history.  :Twocents: :Twocents:    

Really? You like that flat lacquer finish look from the 60's? Not me. Give me a candy with pearl any day. Keep in mind, HoK was kind enough to step in and take over from PPG when we lost our original bodyshop. They were happy to supply all the product Jimenez Brothers needed. People who have seen the car in person are in awe of it. It's very close to the original tint but has much more depth and pop. Most of the showcar builders on the west coast use HoK. It's only collision shops that are using the mainstream brands. Although, most of the mainstreams are trying to establish a show brand now.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ccr-host on December 19, 2010, 01:33:34 PM

I always thought (based on the picture from page #22) that the car was not painted its correct T5 copper color...to be it looked to orangey, and to brite...

Really? You like that flat lacquer finish look from the 60's? Not me. Give me a candy with pearl any day. Keep in mind, HoK was kind enough to step in and take over from PPG when we lost our original bodyshop. They were happy to supply all the product Jimenez Brothers needed. People who have seen the car in person are in awe of it. It's very close to the original tint but has much more depth and pop. Most of the showcar builders on the west coast use HoK. It's only collision shops that are using the mainstream brands. Although, most of the mainstreams are trying to establish a show brand now.

Chrysler used Enamel on Muscle Era cars ...not lacquer.

In your defense though. Chances are that if you painted it with t5 it would be more modern and pearly looking. It takes alot of time to alter formulas to look right with a modern system while cutting out pearls etc. Not as easy as simply mixing t5 that's for sure.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: ccr-host on December 19, 2010, 01:33:34 PM

I saw the episode today and initially thought the same thing at the time as Tufcat.  However, I also am not one to jump to a conclusion without reviewing it.  HoK could be a great choice in paint for the car, but I would need to see it at a car show in person before I could really tell how it looks.  Colors tend to wash out some on film (or TV), so the best way to judge the car is by eye in person.  Case in point:  The pearl effect in the paint did not really show up on my LCD HDTV screen (should have seen more satin in the paint than I did).  While I am mostly colorblind (color-shifted to be exact), I can judge most hues better than an average person.  That trait helps me pick out cars that have been touched up or repainted, as the slight differences in hues stick out to me.....

Personally, I am a purest who wants my oddball Chargers restored back to how they were delivered to their original owners at the dealership when new (not a small task if you know my projects).  No less, no better.  Since I have two 69 T5s and used to own a 69 T3 (a RT/SE that a friend now owns), I tend to favor the original copper colors (one particular color that I can see well) that were available from Dodge in 1969, rather than newer formulas that emulate them in some manner.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ghoste

I like the copper colors too and typically I'm not a big fan of the pearls.  I'd have to reserve judgement until I see the car though because like Chad, I find you can't really tell much from print or film.

ccr-host

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2010, 10:01:43 PM
I like the copper colors too and typically I'm not a big fan of the pearls.  I'd have to reserve judgement until I see the car though because like Chad, I find you can't really tell much from print or film.

With all due respect to the opinions posted of how we should/could have painted the car (they are appreciated and insightfull)... the owner loves it! Isn't that the bottom line for a builder?

nvrbdn

ive always been a "do what fits yourself since your driving it" kinda guy. thats why i did my car the way i did. but then again i never had the bucks to own a rare car. i cant honestly say how i would react personally if i did, or how i would deal with the flak. i love the car as it looks. close isnt only good in handgernades and horseshoes any more.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Richard Cranium

Quote from: ccr-host on December 20, 2010, 12:08:43 PM

With all due respect to the opinions posted of how we should/could have painted the car (they are appreciated and insightfull)... the owner loves it! Isn't that the bottom line for a builder?

You do have a point, plus since 98% of the car is not original anyway, what does it matter?
I am Dr. Remulac

Khyron

Quote from: djcarguy on December 18, 2010, 12:57:48 PM
       like your ride and the movie cmdl  .there is a place for stock and modified in my world.

26 pages and all I have to say is it's Dirty Mary Crazy Larry or DMCL.... ;-)

thank you and have a good day.

BTW: The color of the car in "DMCL" is Citron Yella that wasn't even offered in 69. ;-)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

Absolutely Dan.  But you asked the question about liking the old shades and opened the door by telling us you like the new ones better. ;)  I wasn't debating, just sharing my point of view.  You will likely find a hundred different opinions on what everyone likes for color. :lol:

ccr-host

Quote from: Richard Cranium on December 20, 2010, 03:30:42 PM

You do have a point, plus since 98% of the car is not original anyway, what does it matter?

Original to the car? Or original 1969? If it's the latter, you may need to change your percentage as you see the car finalized.  :2thumbs:

Back N Black

So, if you graft what was left of the XP Hemi car to my charger, would i be driving the XP Hemi Charger?