News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What about the 68 parts?  (and the great guru's blessing?)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Sydmoe on November 07, 2010, 02:41:55 PM
:icon_smile_question:

VIN should have been XS29J9 instead of the typo XP29J9

PS---Sydmo Im glad you figured it out while I was typing it out to explain it to you ;)

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 02:43:13 PM
What about the 68 parts?  (and the great guru's blessing?)

All bolt on stuff that could have been added in the 41+ years of its existence.....  What makes a door handle a '68?  The black buttons?   A lot of early build '69s had black buttons....fuel cap?   bolt on....headlamp bezels?  bolt on....heck I have them on my '69 :rotz:

No R/T badge holes on quarters or evidence of a stripe?....  Hmmm....owner wanted a stripe delete Hemi car....sure no problem...peel the DECAL off!  Instant stripe delete.

R/T emblem STILL in tailpanel though.  :scratchchin:   No one is really remembering that though....

Guru's blessing?   Yes he verified that it was an original Hemi car & the VIN tag had a typo.  Thank you very much that will be $1,000 plus transportation & room & board!!  

:haha:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

DC_1

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 07, 2010, 02:45:42 PM
Quote from: Sydmoe on November 07, 2010, 02:41:55 PM
:icon_smile_question:

VIN should have been XS29J9 instead of the typo XP29J9

PS---Sydmo Im glad you figured it out while I was typing it out to explain it to you ;)

Ya, at first I was thinking you meant the engine code was a typo.

Ghoste

DC_1

All bolt on stuff that could have been added in the 41+ years of its existence.....  What makes a door handle a '68?  The black buttons?   A lot of early build '69s had black buttons....fuel cap?   bolt on....headlamp bezels?  bolt on....heck I have them on my '69 :rotz:

No R/T badge holes on quarters or evidence of a stripe?....  Hmmm....owner wanted a stripe delete Hemi car....sure no problem...peel the DECAL off!  Instant stripe delete.

R/T emblem STILL in tailpanel though.  :scratchchin:   No one is really remembering that though....

Guru's blessing?   Yes he verified that it was an original Hemi car & the VIN tag had a typo.  Thank you very much that will be $1,000 plus transportation & room & board!!  

Them there would be an awful lot of coincidences ! :scratchchin:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 02:56:08 PM
I thought the guru had blessed it as an XP Hemi?

Guru's blessing?   Yes he verified that it was an original Hemi car & the VIN tag had a typo.  Thank you very much that will be $1,000 plus transportation & room & board!! 

Exactly...  :haha:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ccr-host

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 07, 2010, 02:40:21 PM
Quote from: Sydmoe on November 07, 2010, 02:37:43 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 07, 2010, 02:27:30 PM

PS----I still think it was a typo  :nana:

Then why did it have torque boxes(albeit mostly disintegrated) and holes in the door where the hemi badge is mounted?.....answer me that smarty pants! :scope:
Because the typo was the "P" in place of the "S"

PS---dont insult me by calling me smart!

Ahh, but would an "S" car have torque boxes? Or, dual exhaust hangers?

DC_1

We just can't get rid of you can we Dan!...........just joking of course! Your starting to move up in posts and time online here, you'll be a regular soon!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: ccr-host on November 07, 2010, 03:11:32 PM

Then why did it have torque boxes(albeit mostly disintegrated) and holes in the door where the hemi badge is mounted?.....answer me that smarty pants! :scope:

Of course it would Dan....

XS is the designation for an R/T model Charger...which is the only designation (except for the XX Charger 500 & Daytona designation) that the Hemi engine could have been available in

XP is the designation for a base model Charger where the 383-4bbl engine would be the largest available

We are not disputing the "J" which is the Hemi engine code....

Torque boxes are Hemi only items....   Dual exhaust hangars?  big blocks got those....not only hemi's
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Man I'm getting all confused about this car. So what about the car in the ads?  Hemi badge but no R/T on the headlamp door or on the rear quarters?  This is not that car since it had R/T on the rear panel?  Help me.  :P
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

It's part of the mystery.  The car in the ads is largely assumed to not be THIS car, which would mean there were at least two of them.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
It's part of the mystery.  The car in the ads is largely assumed to not be THIS car, which would mean there were at least two of them.

:yesnod: :popcrn:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54133.75.html
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
It's part of the mystery.  The car in the ads is largely assumed to not be THIS car, which would mean there were at least two of them.
Thanks. I love the comment made a while ago about how surprised the original engineers would be to know anyone would care 40 years later.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Or anyone else.  They were just mass produced transportation after all.  I didn't think I'd be that stressed (not stressed maybe but certainly passsionate) out about it even a decade ago.

The70RT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 07, 2010, 03:53:04 PM
Man I'm getting all confused about this car. So what about the car in the ads?  Hemi badge but no R/T on the headlamp door or on the rear quarters?  This is not that car since it had R/T on the rear panel?  Help me.  :P

Dan stated that the RT emblem didn't have factory punched holes.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ccr-host

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 07, 2010, 03:19:04 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on November 07, 2010, 03:11:32 PM

Of course it would Dan....

XS is the designation for an R/T model Charger...which is the only designation (except for the XX Charger 500 & Daytona designation) that the Hemi engine could have been available in

XP is the designation for a base model Charger where the 383-4bbl engine would be the largest available

We are not disputing the "J" which is the Hemi engine code....

Torque boxes are Hemi only items....   Dual exhaust hangars?  big blocks got those....not only hemi's

I wouldn't be quick to completely discount this car as not being the brochure car. There are far too many "coincidences" and questions unanswered. Color match, vinyl roof match, non-R/T badge on the headlight doors, no R/T badge on the quarters, Hemi badge holes on the doors, crowned holes for an after install of an R/T badge on the tail-pan, 68 door handles, 68 gas cap, 68 rear-view mirror. Saying the VIN code is simply a typo seems kind of dismissive to me.

The only contradiction seems to be how high the production number is. However, a poster on the Moparts board noted that the car could have been released for press duties and then VIN tagged after the 69 models were on the assembly line.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear the car was re-worked by the factory after some promotional work was done. We found it with an engine that was completely contrary to the VIN and no one seems to understand why either.

Ghoste

It would also have had the doors replaced though and then the Hemi badges reinstalled as this car appears to have the 69 position door lock buttons and the brochure car had the 68 ones.  More mud to the water huh?

ccr-host

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 04:04:59 PM
Or anyone else.  They were just mass produced transportation after all.  I didn't think I'd be that stressed (not stressed maybe but certainly passsionate) out about it even a decade ago.

You're absolutely right! No one at the time felt these cars needed time capsuled information. What info was issued was more about identity to prevent theft than for collector uses. But, a mystery is always fun to try solving!

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 04:56:19 PM
It would also have had the doors replaced though and then the Hemi badges reinstalled as this car appears to have the 69 position door lock buttons and the brochure car had the 68 ones.  More mud to the water huh?

:yesnod:   &  auto trans cooler lines  & three speaker dash  also :yesnod:   :popcrn: :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ccr-host

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2010, 04:56:19 PM

I saw a picture of it where you could see the three holes quite clearly. They didn't even bother to cover them up. David Hakim, told me there were stories of cars dressed differently on each side too so they could use the same car in two different photo shoots... Some weird stuff went on at Chrylsler!

Ghoste

No, no, I don't mean the holes for the Hemi badges Dan.  The hole at the top edge of the door where the lock button pokes through.  It is in two different places from 68 to 69.

DC_1

Can you not go to the DMV and get a vehicle history report to find the names of previous owners? Maybe the first registered owner might have some insight. Unless of course after it's media duties it was simply released to the dealer network and put on the lot as any other executive or company demo.

ccr-host

Quote from: Sydmoe on November 07, 2010, 03:14:13 PM
We just can't get rid of you can we Dan!...........just joking of course! Your starting to move up in posts and time online here, you'll be a regular soon!

I'm spending the day writing the narrations for episode 7, so this is a good distraction from my writers block!  :brickwall:

UFO

Regular Tailpanel emblem has three holes-R/T only has two and in different locations.Not just a matter of adding or filling one hole.

[/quote]

David Hakim, told me there were stories of cars dressed differently on each side too so they could use the same car in two different photo shoots... Some weird stuff went on at Chrylsler!
[/quote]

Have road test pics with a '70 cuda with a hemi hockey stick on one side and a barracuda emblem on the other.

DC_1

Quote from: ccr-host on November 07, 2010, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Sydmoe on November 07, 2010, 03:14:13 PM

I'm spending the day writing the narrations for episode 7, so this is a good distraction from my writers block!  :brickwall:

Ah, come on that isn't totally true!.......you know were starting to grow on ya!