News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

I don't see the Edelbrock air cleaner listed seperately, but I know they have it, It's mentioned in the last line of the listing for the intake and carbs (which is on my wish list, too :coolgleamA:)

"Don't forget to ask about our new HEMI Chrome Dome Air Cleaner designed for use on the newer style Edelbrock Carbs."

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/sthemapa.html

66FBCharger

Great Thread!
When I bought my 69 R/T SE, I had someone check the car out and take pictures of the VIN on the dash, fender tag, drip rail numbers and radiator support numbers. To me it was important and in my mind constitutes a numbers matching body.
Dan, Thanks for participating on this forum and answering all our questions in a polite, intelligent and non defensive way. I am looking forward to seeing the show about the Charger.
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

nvrbdn

the wife and i were watching the first episode over again the other night and i told her that dan was on DC.COM and was explaining to everyone about the build and explaining why they have to do what they are doing. not too many people would stay and take the abuse. most would up and run. thanks dan for that. enjoy building the most awsome car on the planet :2thumbs: (at least in my mind) :rofl:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PocketThunder

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 10:54:01 AMThere are some great photo's of the car in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast. Jump to page 46 on the pull down and you can see how much of the car was left when we started to re-skin it.

http://editions.amospublishing.com/MPRE/default.aspx?d=20101101

WOW that sucker was rusted away!!   :o
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 10:54:01 AM

There are some great photo's of the car in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast. Jump to page 46 on the pull down and you can see how much of the car was left when we started to re-skin it.

Dan do you have any more detailed photos you can post on here of the before condition of the car?

tan top

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 29, 2010, 01:03:29 PM
Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 10:54:01 AMThere are some great photo's of the car in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast. Jump to page 46 on the pull down and you can see how much of the car was left when we started to re-skin it.

WOW that sucker was rusted away!!   :o
:o

:scope: i spy a  dana  axel bump stop  in picture 19 :yesnod:

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 29, 2010, 01:27:57 PM

There are some great photo's of the car in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast. Jump to page 46 on the pull down and you can see how much of the car was left when we started to re-skin it.

Dan do you have any more detailed photos you can post on here of the before condition of the car?

yeah would love to see them Dan !! underside shots & stuff   :cheers: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

I also commend dan for being able to have a civil dicussion with many of us beating him up .  Many others would have cussed us and ran off .  Great attiude and endurance putting up with us  .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: 

But i still feel many of the parts where just tossed when they could have been saves , the core support , inner structure , and many other vital to the structure of the car .  Nice shiney new parts , blinded the build when original parts could have been clean , fixed and kept on the car.  Even the rear trunk rail could have been kept in tact and not just cutting the numbers out .     Again just my opinion of what i would have done with such a rare car .  I would also liked to have seen the Hemi specific parts like torq boxes filmed & feature more in documenting the car .

Brandon , 69 hemi car is a great example of saving a rusty hemi car more to the way i would feel more comfortable with  .                                         http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36552.0.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Not trying to lead the charge to bust anyone's balls and especially not accusing anyone of being deceitful, I want to add that I also don't endorse the idea that restamping ANY identification numbers on a car is legal.  If you can provide evidence that it is legal to stamp any number except for the full VIN, then I will still take exception to the practice as falling into that "poor automotive ethics" category.  The second half of my point may be a subjective opinion but I still believe that the first half makes it moot.
In your situation I think it is a much better thing to weld the exisitng number into the new metal.  Unless you are doing a rebody and then I think it is wrong.  Except if this is a real XP Hemi then it deserves to live on more than Lee1 did.  How is that for a little hypocrisy? :lol:

ccr-host

Having a great final build day on the Charger! Jimenez Brothers are cutting and buffing the panels, Oldies Glass is installing rear quarter glass, Ted Stevens and friends have been working non-stop for 5 days, Josh and his crew are putting in fuel pump, water pump, alternator ...Bouchillon has shipped everything a Hemi needs to run. It's an amazing day. WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT TO SEMA!

ccr-host

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2010, 05:29:27 PM
Not trying to lead the charge to bust anyone's balls and especially not accusing anyone of being deceitful, I want to add that I also don't endorse the idea that restamping ANY identification numbers on a car is legal.  If you can provide evidence that it is legal to stamp any number except for the full VIN, then I will still take exception to the practice as falling into that "poor automotive ethics" category.  The second half of my point may be a subjective opinion but I still believe that the first half makes it moot.
In your situation I think it is a much better thing to weld the exisitng number into the new metal.  Unless you are doing a rebody and then I think it is wrong.  Except if this is a real XP Hemi then it deserves to live on more than Lee1 did.  How is that for a little hypocrisy? :lol:

Ghoste,

Why are you calling it "re-stamping"? Did you see what we did? We cut out the section that was stamped at the factory and graphed it onto the AMD part. We did NOT stamp a single letter or number. Please don't imply we did.

Ghoste

I'm not implying that at all, go back and re read what I wrote.   I was addressing your statement that restamping numbers other than the primary vin (such as a rad core support or the trunk rail number) was an acceptable practice.  I made it very clear that I understood you were not doing so as I specifically applauded you for not doing so.

tan top

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 06:43:04 PM
Having a great final build day on the Charger! Jimenez Brothers are cutting and buffing the panels, Oldies Glass is installing rear quarter glass, Ted Stevens and friends have been working non-stop for 5 days, Josh and his crew are putting in fuel pump, water pump, alternator ...Bouchillon has shipped everything a Hemi needs to run. It's an amazing day. WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT TO SEMA!

looking forward to seeing pictures & stuff when the car is completed  ,  thanks for coming on here , & taking the time !! & explaining whats happening Dan , apperciated  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NGC414

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 06:43:04 PM
Awesome! Can't Waite to see the car.

ccr-host

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2010, 06:46:35 PM
I'm not implying that at all, go back and re read what I wrote.

I did re-read it. For some reason, you are bringing up an activity that we did not do. We did not stamp anything. And you're asking for proof that it's legal. Why? I hope you are not implying that we did that.

ccr-host

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2010, 06:46:35 PM
I'm not implying that at all, go back and re read what I wrote.

I did re-read it. For some reason, you are bringing up an activity that we did not do. We did not stamp anything. And you're asking for proof that it's legal. Why? I hope you are not implying that we did that.

Ghoste,

I'm sorry. It been a long day. I see what you are talking about now. Yes, we did cut out that metal and re-graft it onto the new part. We did not re-stamp it. And you DO know that... again sorry.

Ghoste

I hear you, I'm tired too and I have to also add that upon re-reading the section where I thought you were umplying that restamping was okay, I see that I also misunderstood what you were typing.  You didn't say restamping partial vins was okay, you said that re-using them was.  I now believe that you meant by this, the cutting out from one car and placing them on another so I do owe you an apology for that.

HOWEVER, I qualify my apology by saying that even though I support the changing of partial vins in the fashion that you are doing it, in which the primary structure of the car appears to be the one receiving it, I absolutely 100% do not in any way whatsoever believe that it is legal or at the vey least ethical to swap them onto a "donor" body.  But that goes back to my rebodying arguments and we've largely exhausted that topic inasmuch as it is relevant to this thread. (I think)

NGC414

I gotta say I think it's great that Dan took the time to talk to us about the show. I can't think of any celebrity hosts that would do the same. It shows that you truley are passionate about what you do. To actually pitch in on each build is something that can't be said about other hosts either. I appreciate what your doing Dan and keep up the great work!

HOTROD

:popcrn: wish-en I had money to do that --- mines not that rusty !!
how do they keep everthing square to weld it back to gether ????
What the Hell-Dumass !

ccr-host

Quote from: tan top on October 29, 2010, 01:30:26 PM

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 29, 2010, 01:03:29 PM

WOW that sucker was rusted away!!   :o
:o

:scope: i spy a  dana  axel bump stop  in picture 19 :yesnod:

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 29, 2010, 01:27:57 PM

yeah would love to see them Dan !! underside shots & stuff   :cheers: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

I'll try to dig up some others. But, the pics in Mopar Enthusiast are pretty good. Did you flip through the next pages? There's about a dozen more there.
Cheers,

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: HOTROD on October 29, 2010, 11:33:03 PM

Watching todays show explains about the jig the AMD installation crew uses.   It mimics the way the factory held the cars together before welding back in the day.

The work they did is definitely not something you can do in your 1 car garage....these guys had all the right tools & the right knowledge to get the job done.

That spot welder was a really choice piece & Dan handled that thing pretty well!    :buff:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nvrbdn

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 30, 2010, 08:12:56 AM
Quote from: HOTROD on October 29, 2010, 11:33:03 PM

Watching todays show explains about the jig the AMD installation crew uses.   It mimics the way the factory held the cars together before welding back in the day.

The work they did is definitely not something you can do in your 1 car garage....these guys had all the right tools & the right knowledge to get the job done.

That spot welder was a really choice piece & Dan handled that thing pretty well!    :buff:
that spot welder was everything on this build.really cool to see this from  this view with every piece in a charger. :coolgleamA: awsome show for the charger :rofl:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

lexxman

I just finish watch todays show. It s just like a new car,I would have liked that spot welder.
Dan going through AMDs stock room most have been like being in a candy store. :yesnod:

Charger440RDN

nvrbdn

dan, your really gettin in up to the elbows on that vett job. plus all that fitting and welding on the charger, not just the host,your the do it all man. good job :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1RareBird

Dan, who is the manufacturer of that spot welder you used on the charger? Thanks in advance and I really enjoy your show.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.