News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccr-host

As a side note, we are looking for an original air breather. Anyone know where we can find one? We're using Edelbrock carbs.

Thanks,
Dan

doctor4766

Dan, as you know, there are always going to be number of people (in any brand of car) who see things differently to the general hobbyist and their personal views are always going to be seen as "anal" if I can say that here, even though you can see where they're coming from.

I think as long as the Charger in question retains it's original chassis and some of the shell, any bolt on panels are irrelevant to maintaining the car's authenticity. Hell, there are Daytonas and Superbirds that have had major structural work performed on them and no one is questioning the owners intention to deceive there.
Just think of the outcry had your show shown that you had found the brouchure car but it was so far rusted that it was only good as a parts car for a better junker.
Keep up the good work.

I'd love to see your show and in particular the episodes featuring this car.
Hopefully we'll see it in Oz one day.
Gotta love a '69

Ghoste

If you believe that numbers matching in the Mopar hobby does not also involve having the numbers on the rad core support and the trunk lip match on the model years available then you need to learn a great deal more about us.  We are not like Chevy or Ford owners.  I would be very suprised if Galen didn't check those very same numbers when he did his "approval" for you.   Even Shafi knows they are important.  That is why a proper description for a Mopar will sometimes talk about numbers matching engine and trans and other times talk about being a complete numbers matching car.
The same holds true for what those of you in the aftermarket business that have decided to differentiate reskinnning versus rebodying.  A little research might be in order as to how it is viewed within the Mopar community before treating it too dismissively.  It's a topic that is debated frequently over whether or not it's an acceptable activity.
Comparing it to what I do in my home is a poor analogy as there are no registration numbers in my home.  

tan top

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 01:04:25 AM
Quote from: UFO on October 28, 2010, 09:25:00 PM
Quote from: tan top on October 28, 2010, 07:17:48 PM
Quote from: UFO on October 28, 2010, 07:08:20 PM
Quote from: tan top on October 28, 2010, 06:56:18 PM

is there a picture of the top of the dash anywhere ? :scratchchin:

It was shown in episode two.

oh right !!   :cheers:  was it a 3 speaker dash ?? :popcrn:

The clip does not show enough to see if it's a three speaker.It's a real close shot of just the vin tag.

The dash had a single speaker.

oh right  single one Eh :scratchchin:  thanks guys for the reply  appreciated  :cheers: :cheers:

so then , just the vin shot !! showed the original vin rivets ?
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

The70RT

So there is no actual proof that this is the brochure car since no one knows the vin???
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

Correct.  There is also some speculation that it isn't because it doesn't feature any 68 items (like the brochure car did).  It's possible they made two, it's possible that it was modified.  Who knows?  All that is known for sure is that there are supposed to be ZERO and yet, here it is.

UFO

Tantop, yes and they look like they have been there a long time.
Dan , Check that tailpanel(if it's still around) The R/T badge has two mounting studs vs the standard charger which has three studs.

Ghoste

I seem to recall the tailpanel as having been checked before the tv show ever got involved?

tan top

Quote from: UFO on October 29, 2010, 06:42:07 AM
Dan , Check that tailpanel(if it's still around) The R/T badge has two mounting studs vs the standard charger which has three studs.

:cheers: thanks  for the info !! hmmm :scratchchin: :think:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

The70RT

I speculated the doors had the hemi badges on them. Was the vin on the drivers door?....not that the badges could have been added later though. Any pics of the inside where the dual exhaust hanger bolts could be seen?...not that that could prove much either.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: The70RT on October 29, 2010, 09:19:05 AM
I speculated the doors had the hemi badges on them. Was the vin on the drivers door?....not that the badges could have been added later though. Any pics of the inside where the dual exhaust hanger bolts could be seen?...not that that could prove much either.

Dennis 69 was the last year before the vin decal in the door. 70 was the model year that started.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: tan top on October 29, 2010, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: UFO on October 29, 2010, 06:42:07 AM

:cheers: thanks  for the info !! hmmm :scratchchin: :think:

:popcrn:

MOre speculation,but the factory or the orig selling dealer could have installed R/T emblems to "match" up with the HEMI engine after the ads ,etc. were done...... for selling purposes.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2010, 03:15:11 AM
If you believe that numbers matching in the Mopar hobby does not also involve having the numbers on the rad core support and the trunk lip match on the model years available then you need to learn a great deal more about us.  We are not like Chevy or Ford owners.  I would be very suprised if Galen didn't check those very same numbers when he did his "approval" for you.   Even Shafi knows they are important.  That is why a proper description for a Mopar will sometimes talk about numbers matching engine and trans and other times talk about being a complete numbers matching car.
The same holds true for what those of you in the aftermarket business that have decided to differentiate reskinnning versus rebodying.  A little research might be in order as to how it is viewed within the Mopar community before treating it too dismissively.  It's a topic that is debated frequently over whether or not it's an acceptable activity.
Comparing it to what I do in my home is a poor analogy as there are no registration numbers in my home.  

:iagree: (from the #s perspective)

Not trying to start a pissing contest but I am in the same camp on this one. I have been shopping for a Charger for a year now (looking for years but with no funds) and an exceedingly predominant number of sellers know that a numbers car (Mopar) includes the rad support and gutter lip numbers. The concept of "re-skinning" is a fuzzy point and is unfortunately open to personal preferences i suppose. I don't consider it a problem to put new panels or metal on a car considering they are Chrysler approved replacement parts. Even if you buy an AMD rad support and cut in the stampings. Fundamentally you are "repairing" the damage to that component. I get jumpy when two cars sit next to each other and a rad support/trunk gutter/dash is cut out and put on the "clean body". Its a small but important semantics issue about the intent. Isn't that what the law is supposed to be about, intent? Moving the good parts from the donor to perform the restoration is a repair intent, but simply moving the #s from the wreck to the donor and the intent changes. It is to forgo the repair in light of a change of identification.   :yesnod:

YMMV
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NGC414

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 02:02:17 AM
As for our activities being deceitful; all I can say is, if we were trying to deceive anyone we surely wouldn't have shown it on national television.

I would say any claims of deceit would be completely absurd as well. The bottom line is that in this particular case a very rough car is being restored and saved. The restoration is being documented and aired on TV. If the car ever comes up for sale let the prospective buyers decide if the restoration was done to their likeing. One could debate the best way to restore any particular car relentlessly and always continue to find conflicting views and beliefs. At the end of the day, a nice car is being saved and restored to a high quality. Better yet we get to tune in and watch it. I would have to commend Dan for taking the time to discuss and comment on the build with us on this forum (even when he gets his balls busted a little).  

Roger 68 charger

Quote from: NGC414 on October 29, 2010, 10:29:23 AM
As for our activities being deceitful; all I can say is, if we were trying to deceive anyone we surely wouldn't have shown it on national television.

I would say any claims of deceit would be completely absurd as well. The bottom line is that in this particular case a very rough car is being restored and saved. The restoration is being documented and aired on TV. If the car ever comes up for sale let the prospective buyers decide if the restoration was done to their likeing. One could debate the best way to restore any particular car relentlessly and always continue to find conflicting views and beliefs. At the end of the day, a nice car is being saved and restored to a high quality. Better yet we get to tune in and watch it. I would have to commend Dan for taking the time to discuss and comment on the build with us on this forum (even when he gets his balls busted a little).  
:loser:           :iagree:
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

Charger-Bodie

If they would have saved a bunch of parts as an exercise to show people how to patch stuff a different group would be on here gripeing "why didnt they just replace it?"

The car is being saved. AMD is a big sponser so of course they are going to use nice new parts as much as they can. I for one am very thankful to AMD for bringing us nice repro parts for these cars.

ccr-host

Quote from: NGC414 on October 29, 2010, 10:29:23 AM

Getting my balls busted here is part of the fun I'm having with you all. This is a great thread! The people here have far more insight to Mopar's than I do, so it's an education for me too. I just hope my naivety doesn't offend anyone here.

There are some great photo's of the car in the latest edition of Mopar Enthusiast. Jump to page 46 on the pull down and you can see how much of the car was left when we started to re-skin it.

I'd be curious to know how those who have concerns would have handled the process of rebuilding this car to keep it more original. Consider that nearly every part we used was an authorized and licensed Chrysler part and that the damage was so extensive that most of the car wouldn't qualify it as a parts car.

ccr-host

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 29, 2010, 09:54:33 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2010, 03:15:11 AM

iagree: (from the #s perspective)

Not trying to start a pissing contest but I am in the same camp on this one. I have been shopping for a Charger for a year now (looking for years but with no funds) and an exceedingly predominant number of sellers know that a numbers car (Mopar) includes the rad support and gutter lip numbers. The concept of "re-skinning" is a fuzzy point and is unfortunately open to personal preferences i suppose. I don't consider it a problem to put new panels or metal on a car considering they are Chrysler approved replacement parts. Even if you buy an AMD rad support and cut in the stampings. Fundamentally you are "repairing" the damage to that component. I get jumpy when two cars sit next to each other and a rad support/trunk gutter/dash is cut out and put on the "clean body". Its a small but important semantics issue about the intent. Isn't that what the law is supposed to be about, intent? Moving the good parts from the donor to perform the restoration is a repair intent, but simply moving the #s from the wreck to the donor and the intent changes. It is to forgo the repair in light of a change of identification.   :yesnod:

YMMV

Yes, you are correct. It is about "intent". The intent here is to confirm the originality of the car - not deceive it. The numbers on the rain gutter and the rad support confirm that the VIN is correct. Removing the VIN plate and replacing it would be deception and illegal. Returning a partial VIN to a part is perfectly legal. From this point forward, this car will be known as the car restored on Chop Cut Rebuild and any future owner will be able to see the full extent of our intent. This wasn't done behind closed doors. Full disclosure will always be there on video for anyone to see.

DC_1

So Dan, are you looking at getting yourself a Charger now? The time you spent working on this car and being involved in the Mopar culture on this forum must be starting to rub off on you a little by now! You know that Richard Hammond over at Top Gear got exposed to the Charger in a segment he did........ he ended up getting one for himself!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 02:18:58 AM
As a side note, we are looking for an original air breather. Anyone know where we can find one? We're using Edelbrock carbs.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, Mancini Racing has an original style "Chrome Dome" Hemi air cleaner for use with the edelbrock carbs...                                      

manciniracing.com

ccr-host

Quote from: Sydmoe on October 29, 2010, 11:23:05 AM
So Dan, are you looking at getting yourself a Charger now? The time you spent working on this car and being involved in the Mopar culture on this forum must be starting to rub off on you a little by now! You know that Richard Hammond over at Top Gear got exposed to the Charger in a segment he did........ he ended up getting one for himself!

Well, my first exposure to a Mopar was restoring the George Barris Supervan back in 2003. So, I can't say that locked me in as a fan. But, our Cuda build for Goodmark two years ago was a great experience. This car is my favorite so far. The Cuda was a little over the top for my enjoyment. The blower looked cool but, I wouldn't want to take it on a drive to Vegas.

...Speaking of Vegas; ...We're filming the last Charger segment today before we unveil the car at the AMD booth during SEMA next week. I imagine there will be lots of spy pics on the web in a few days. Get your requests in to your favorite photographer now!

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 29, 2010, 11:38:53 AM

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,     Mancini Racing has an original style "Chrome Dome" Hemi air cleaner for use with the edelbrock carbs...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hechdoairclb.html

Charger Stuff 

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: tan top on October 29, 2010, 11:42:04 AM

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,     Mancini Racing has an original style "Chrome Dome" Hemi air cleaner for use with the edelbrock carbs...

Close, but they need the one for the edlebrock carbs, Mancini has that too. :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

DC_1

Quote from: ccr-host on October 29, 2010, 11:40:17 AM
...Speaking of Vegas; ...We're filming the last Charger segment today before we unveil the car at the AMD booth during SEMA next week. I imagine there will be lots of spy pics on the web in a few days. Get your requests in to your favorite photographer now!

Well I've always wanted to see your photography skills, how about posting a sneak peak for your new friends!

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 29, 2010, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: tan top on October 29, 2010, 11:42:04 AM

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,     Mancini Racing has an original style "Chrome Dome" Hemi air cleaner for use with the edelbrock carbs...

Close, but they need the one for the edlebrock carbs, Mancini has that too.

i see  ,  :cheers: thanks for the correction ! never knew they had to be closer for the eddy carbs , !! was planning to use one of these aircleaners, when i build up a elephant motor for my charger !  one day ,

Charger Stuff