News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Vinyl top or Black Painted top?

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, August 30, 2010, 11:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

I am curious if the factory ever just painted the tops a different color or just vinyl top? I am changing up my 68 Coronet which is Hemi orange (not orig). At one time in its life it had a vinyl top. I am also having the hood done in black. So now I need to decide to paint the roof black or go with a vinyl top.   :scratchchin:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Silver R/T

It was only vinyl top. You can do whatever you want to your car though.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68coronetGLwannabe

I looked at some pics on Google and saw one that looked painted. The pic was to small to tell if it really looked right. I just didnt want to have it painted and not have it look good. If anyone has pics of a painted top please post one up. Thanks
"That's us in 10 years".

Troy

I believe a 68 Coronet could have come with a painted roof (it is differentiated on the tag but all Chargers listed the roof color the same as the body color).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

Some dealerships installed a "simulated vinyl top" by using textured flat paint and gluing phony seams down the length of the roof skin.  This was not the kind of thing that came from the factory.  But it sometimes happened when a customer wanted the vinyl top installed at the dealership onto a painted-roof car.

The dealerships were doing it to save a buck, but ironically the painted job would have protected the roof from rust better than the real vinyl top.

jaak

There is a member on forbbodiesonly.com that has a '70 Bee, FC7 with a white painted top. I think it was factory like that.

Jason

68coronetGLwannabe

Sent the Coronet of to the paint shop yesterday. Going to have the hood painted flat black and decided to go with a black vinyl top. Should be done next week sometime. Now trying to find some 15x8.5  steelies to put on it.
"That's us in 10 years".

66FBCharger

Have the roof painted. If you don't like the way it looks, you can have the vinyl roof put on after.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Nacho-RT74

I know on 50s was very tipical get factory painted and grained tops, not vinyl.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html