News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to clean the hood hinges?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 23, 2010, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

How does one clean/prepare the hood hinges painting? Is disassembly the only option?

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

twodko

Hello Per,

I had the hinges from my 69 Chevelle media blasted then painted. Haven't done the Charger's yet.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: twodko on August 23, 2010, 02:16:23 PM
Hello Per,

I had the hinges from my 69 Chevelle media blasted then painted. Haven't done the Charger's yet.

Tom

Hi Tom :wave:
Yes, they are done but it's for the Challenger. The chargers were done by the painter but now
I don't have anybody yet and also want to do this car somewhat cheaper. :eek2:
No problems with sand still coming off after 1000 times open and close? :lol:

Per

bull

Hood hinges are tricky. I had mine blasted and powder coated while assembled and they look pretty good to me but there will be some issues with them I can tell. There are points where the powder coating has fused some areas between moving parts, such as at the bottom of one of the gears that has next to zero clearance between it and the base. A good powder coating business would probably have the foresight to deal with that, unlike the people I used. Eventually I'll probably have to do some touch up on them but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. You will likely face similar issues if using regular paint.

Anyway, what I did was position the springs so that they were stretched out to make sure the media blaster and powder coat could get between the coils. The only other way I might have done it differently would be to remove the springs and stretch them so that the spring contact point on the hinges would have gotten covered better but in the end I really don't think it matters much. In order to stretch the springs something would have to be in contact with them so that contact point would still have paint/powder adhesion issues.

That said, you might get better or at least similar results by painting them but you'll have to make sure the springs are cleaned and probably blasted while stretched or you won't get the inside of the coils prepped very well. I would think you would need to move the hinge itself into a few different positions while painting it to assure coverage and avoid what I described in my first paragraph.

Belgium R/T -68

doctor4766

I had mine anodised as I wasn't keen on paint or chroming

Best bit is that there won't be any flaking down the track.
Maybe it aint authentic but works for me and looks the part
Gotta love a '69