News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can any military savy guys tell me what i just bought ? MISSILE RADOME ????

Started by rav440, August 21, 2010, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

i bought this ccause i thought it was cool but i have no idea what it is off of . it is fiberglass not metal .

thanks RANDY

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

b5blue

A radar system antenna sits behind/inside that, it's use is to protect it from impacts and streamline airflow. Where did......never mind, the less I know the better.   ::)

rav440

Quote from: b5blue on August 21, 2010, 07:25:03 PM
A radar system antenna sits behind/inside that, it's use is to protect it from impacts and streamline airflow. Where did......never mind, the less I know the better.   ::)

:D yard sale  :icon_smile_big: what would it have been used on ?

ACUDANUT

rav440

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2010, 08:03:51 PM
155mm Howitzer HE head. (mock-training type)

155mm = 6 inches this is 12"-14" in diameter and about 4' tall plus if it was mock why would it say do not paint above this line that tells me it was a functional radar cone and had to use a different type of paint above said line

Todd Wilson

That there is one of those nukeleer warhead thingies...............

Todd

Domino

Perhaps a guided MLRS, I think the smaller rockets are about that size.

b5blue

Make a fake silo hatch for it to stick out of, paint it white with a red tip and set it on the roof of your house.  :lol: When the CIA and FBI show up they can tell you exactly what it's from.  :o  Let's consider it a ICBM  Intercepting Chevy Buster Missile.

rav440

:o so i guess some of you are saying this is not a good thing to have ?  :o

the person i got it from must have at least a 100 of these radome cones .

b5blue

Surplus is sold all the time, even NASA stuff is on the "GSA Auction web sight". Military sells huge groupings of stuff, they may have just bought a bulk lot of stuff that included these. It's common for them to sell a 2 1/2 ton with the back loaded with scrap. I'm sure they are all blemished in some aspect and no longer fit for use. I "could have" bid on rocket motors and turbo fan engines, air craft generators and air conditioners on big trailers, fire trucks and even dirt bikes and mini submarines, heck there is a 70 convertible pimped out GTO there now for 25 grand.  :smilielol:   

mikepmcs

Quote from: b5blue on August 21, 2010, 07:25:03 PM
A radar system antenna sits behind/inside that

By the looks of it.   I agree with this above statement.

and this....

Quote from: b5blue on August 22, 2010, 08:51:10 AM
Surplus is sold all the time

It means nothing except you have a cool conversation piece.

Now the person that has them hopefully acquired them the way they were supposed to or they might be in trouble.  :lol: :slap:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

elacruze

Ummmm.....Yeah....

Nose cone for a guided missle, which you've all guessed.

It has a DEMIL code of 'D' which states;

Tag:  DEMIL_CODE

Code:  D

Description:  USML ITEMS - DEMIL REQUIRED. DESTROY ITEM AND COMPONENTS TO PREVENT RESTORATION OR REPAIR TO A USABLE CONDITION. (NOTE 5).
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

bakerhillpins

Quote from: b5blue on August 22, 2010, 03:28:21 PM
See if that guy has any Flux Capacitors for me would ya.  :lol:

I was kinda hoping he would set it up like the nuke poking out of the roof of the house and see if Kelly Lebrock shows up!

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mikepmcs

so...............what would you little maniacs like to do first.............. :2thumbs: ;D

hemi68charger

I know it's not an AIM-9 or AIM-120, I loaded those on F-16s........  Too small for a Nuc... Loaded those on B-52s............   :scratchchin:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

elacruze

I'm guessing it's for the Patriot system.

It's radar guided, it's US Army from the Redstone Arsenal and I've seen about every system except a patriot close enough to toss out.
AFAIK only surface-to-air missiles use radar. Ballistic uses GPS.

Found a good photo-

The military loses track of parts all the time, and it's not likely that the Elbonians are going to buy missile noses on ebay and attack anyone but those particular cones are not supposed to leave military control without being destroyed.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

ACUDANUT

lisiecki1

Quote from: elacruze on August 22, 2010, 09:47:40 AM
Ummmm.....Yeah....

Description:  USML ITEMS - DEMIL REQUIRED. DESTROY ITEM AND COMPONENTS TO PREVENT RESTORATION OR REPAIR TO A USABLE CONDITION. (NOTE 5).

Where is it tagged with that code?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

elacruze

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 23, 2010, 05:01:10 AM
Ummmm.....Yeah....

I ran the part number stenciled on the cone through FEDLOG. The DEMIL code is in the FEDLOG program.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

lisiecki1

Quote from: elacruze on August 23, 2010, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 23, 2010, 05:01:10 AM
Ummmm.....Yeah....

I ran the part number stenciled on the cone through FEDLOG. The DEMIL code is in the FEDLOG program.
OIC.  Thanks!
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

TeeWJay426

Quote from: elacruze on August 23, 2010, 04:07:41 AM

It's radar guided, it's US Army from the Redstone Arsenal and I've seen about every system except a patriot close enough to toss out.

It's not big enough to be a PATRIOT, and the P/N isn't right. It would also be a six digit serial number. I'm guessing an AMRAAM radome.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

elacruze

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on August 24, 2010, 11:23:28 AM
Quote from: elacruze on August 23, 2010, 04:07:41 AM

It's not big enough to be a PATRIOT, and the P/N isn't right. It would also be a six digit serial number. I'm guessing an AMRAAM radome.

AMRAAM is Raytheon. FEDLOG lists this part's manufacturer as the Redstone Arsenal, which is Army proper. The HAWK missiles are Redstone, and have been around long enough to see excess parts in the bin. I don't know how large they are though. Army obsoleted them, USMC apparently still uses them.
I suppose the important bits could be Raytheon or Hughes, with Redstone building the tube and nose etc.  :shruggy:
:popcrn:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

ACUDANUT

Quote from: b5blue on August 22, 2010, 05:37:38 AM
Make a fake silo hatch for it to stick out of, paint it white with a red tip and set it on the roof of your house.  :lol: When the CIA and FBI show up they can tell you exactly what it's from.  :o  Let's consider it a ICBM  Intercepting Chevy Buster Missile.
NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR THAT !!

TeeWJay426

Quote from: elacruze on August 24, 2010, 03:50:53 PM
AMRAAM is Raytheon. FEDLOG lists this part's manufacturer as the Redstone Arsenal, which is Army proper. The HAWK missiles are Redstone, and have been around long enough to see excess parts in the bin. I don't know how large they are though. Army obsoleted them, USMC apparently still uses them.
I suppose the important bits could be Raytheon or Hughes, with Redstone building the tube and nose etc.  :shruggy:
:popcrn:

PATRIOT is Raytheon as well, but AMCOM is still the controlling activity as specified on the PATRIOT radome drawing, and the cage code is AMCOM's also, even though they aren't the actual manufacturer. AMRAAM was also built by Hughes before Raytheon bought them out. I managed to find the NSN info for the one that rav440 pictured, but it doesn't give any further identification as to what missile it's used on.

1420-00-788-2903 RADOME 9186547
DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE: 9186547
MANUFACTURERS CODE: 18876
III FSC APPLICATION DATA: GUIDANCE SECTION,GUIDED MISSILE
DE-ICING PROVISION: NOT INCLUDED

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

elacruze

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on August 25, 2010, 06:46:19 AM
1420-00-788-2903 RADOME 9186547
DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE: 9186547
MANUFACTURERS CODE: 18876
III FSC APPLICATION DATA: GUIDANCE SECTION,GUIDED MISSILE
DE-ICING PROVISION: NOT INCLUDED

Yup. Bugger.
I guess it can't be known but by hands-on experience.
Cool garage art, in any case.
I'm not sure the guy with 100 of them should let his angry neighbor know, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---