News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Evapo rust

Started by 66FBCharger, August 19, 2010, 07:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Where do you buy Evapo rust? Where is it the cheapest? I was hoping to be able to buy it locally from a chain store to save shipping. Is it possible to get it locally in the 5 gallon bucket?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

41husk

What is Evapo Rust ?  I have used POR and the stuff in a rattle can that is supposed to nuetralize rust and change it to black primmer, but never seen it called by that.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ODZKing

I found it at Harbor Freight.  It is a liquid that you have to soak parts in.  It really does work but not as quickly as they say.
And you can't paint it on, it evaporates too quickly to do anything.  Great for smaller things but as I said you HAVE to soak the item.
http://www.evaporust.com/
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=evapo-rust&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ASptTMfRLIP78Abu9vCZDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQzAMwAg

66FBCharger

It is supposed to be an environmental safe solution that removes rust without removing metal. I have seen guys on here use it. I haven't personally used it, but I would like to try it on some rusty parts I bought at the Nats. I know it is sold at Harbor Freight and I have seen ads for it in some of the National Mopar magazines.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Cheapest place I found to purchase Evapo-Rust from is:

http://www.nebraskanhotrod.com/

The cost for enough concentrate to make 5 gallons of solution (after all, why pay to ship 4 gallons of water?) looks like +/- $70 plus shipping, but they do offer volume discounts for buying larger quantities of the concentrated product.  It is really, really good stuff...

If you click on --> this link <--  it will let you plug in a zip code to find nearby retailers who have it in stock & on the shelf (e.g. some AutoZone locations, etc.)

66FBCharger

Hemigeno. Thanks for the info! Do you know if what Autozone sells is the premixed or concentrate? I may swing by there on the way home tonight.
I have some parts I picked up at the NATS that I want to test this stuff out on. I would imagine it is easier than bead blasting and it preserves the original finish of the metal.

hemigeno

Quote from: 66FBCharger on August 19, 2010, 11:16:41 AM
Hemigeno. Thanks for the info! Do you know if what Autozone sells is the premixed or concentrate? I may swing by there on the way home tonight.
I have some parts I picked up at the NATS that I want to test this stuff out on. I would imagine it is easier than bead blasting and it preserves the original finish of the metal.

Glad to help out - but I have no idea what version AZ sells, and it might be a good idea to give them a call before stopping in anyway. 

As others have said, it may not be the fastest product for stripping down rusted metal, but it definitely works and does not harm the original metal plating/finishes.  A resto shop doing some work for me has become a firm believer in this stuff after using it on my car.  It is remarkable how it brings back the original as-cast look.  Just get an old cooler to use and go to town.

:cheers:

ipstrategies

Harbour Freight had it here for around 20.00 for a quart.
I have used it for smaller parts it works great but takes time.
I have also been able to use on larger parts by brushing it on and then wrapping in the plastic bags all the store uses. It worked great on my steering column shaft as I was able to cover it in evapo rust and then wrap with plastic to keep evaporation down.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

warmpancakes

white vinegar will yeild same results  get the 5% acidity stuff and its about 2.00 per gallon

451-74Charger

hmm, fancy dipping a whole car body?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: warmpancakes on August 20, 2010, 08:47:23 AM
white vinegar will yeild same results  get the 5% acidity stuff and its about 2.00 per gallon

Have you used it for rust??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemigeno

For that matter, Coca-Cola would probably work even better if we're talking cheap home remedies here.  I don't know how well either of those acidic solutions do at only attacking rust and not the metal itself (to some degree) or platings on the metal.

Evapo-Rust is pH-neutral and does a phenomenal job of only removing rust.

b5blue

I use "Ospho" made by Skyco. Stronger for sure but much faster and leaves rusted steel black, clean it off and paint.   :2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Evapo-Rust is pH-neutral and does a phenomenal job of only removing rust.

can you keep reusing it or does it "wear out" after being used?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi-hampton

$5.00 in Oxalic acid concentrated will make you about 50 gallons+ diluted. Much cheaper then this stuff but not enviromently friendly & highly toxic. Wear gloves & don't breath fumes. Vinegar is nothing more then Citrus Acid, Same with Lemon juice, ect. LEON.

Troy

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on August 20, 2010, 04:48:01 PM

Have you used it for rust??
I have. I even posted pics around here somewhere. Works really good!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

b5blue

On that note 20% Horticultural Vinegar is available online. I am planning on trying some sooner or later as the results from my "vinegar and salt for cleaning electrical connectors" testing went very well.   

chargd72

Just picked up a nicely sized jug over the weekend at Tractor Supply Co.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger