News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second gen mirror combinations. What came stock?

Started by bull, December 21, 2005, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm not sure where to post this since it's more of a "what was stock" question rather than a body and paint restoration question. I guess one of the mods can cuss me and move it if it's out of place.

Anyway, what all kind of outside mirror combinations were offered '68-'70? I have one non-remote driver side mirror and no mirror on the passenger side. Now what I typically see when there's two mirrors is both of them are remote, but did they ever offer a remote on one side but not the other? Did Chrysler ever put two non-remote mirrors on both sides? Did they only use the non-remote mirrors when there was only one mirror installed on the car?

Nacho-RT74

70 remote controled ones as far I know is diferent, is racing king ( CUP ). Non remote are the same as earliers

I think passenger remoted side weren't an option untill 75, at least on A/B and E bodies... don't know on C bodies
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

The 70's had the optional rallye mirrors as Nacho described.

The standard mirror was the single non-remote
Optional was the remote. (G33)
(G31) Second optional was the matching pass side (non-remote)to the remote drivers side.  Pretty rare option.  Out of the over 600 Chargers I have registered only 32 have this on the tag

No remote pass side in a Charger
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

So there's no such thing as two non-remote mirrors on a second gen.? At least not from the factory.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Not on a Charger that Ive seen anyway.
I have seen them on other models though.

My friend has them on his 69 Coronet R/T 'vert
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerAndy

Mine has a drivers side remote and nothing on the passenger side..... though, do I recall the hole for the remote control in the passenger door inside sheetmetal?  I may be dreaming in mirror image again  :shruggy:  Andy

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on December 21, 2005, 05:11:05 PM
So there's no such thing as two non-remote mirrors on a second gen.? At least not from the factory.

You referring to the manual mirrors? If so, yes they are. My '70 Charger R/T had them and was coded on the fender tag....
I'm equating your non-remote = manual

Troy

Here's a pic of my former beast with passenger manual mirror...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Troy, do you remember what the codes were for that RH manual mirror?  I didn't think they put the RH manual w/o the LH remote, but as with lots of other things, I have learned never to say never with Mopar.

bull

There are two types of manual mirrors, a larger one that I assume went on the passenger side to match the drivers sdie remote (pic #2 below), and a smaller one which I assume was standard and had no match on the opposite side even though they can go on either side (pic #1). What I really want to know is if they ever put two of the first mirrors pictured below on both sides. Sorry if I'm confusing things.

8WHEELER

I will have to say EVERY LH mirror I have ever seen like your bottom picture IS a remote mirror.
Now the one in your bottom picture I have to assume is for the RH side to look like the LH sides
remote mirror, if I am making myself clear.

I have only seen a factory dual mirror car for the 68 model year, it was on a 68 Coronet Wagon, and
that was the non remote mirror on both sides, like in your top picture.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on December 22, 2005, 02:41:29 AM
I will have to say EVERY LH mirror I have ever seen like your bottom picture IS a remote mirror.
Now the one in your bottom picture I have to assume is for the RH side to look like the LH sides
remote mirror, if I am making myself clear.

I have only seen a factory dual mirror car for the 68 model year, it was on a 68 Coronet Wagon, and
that was the non remote mirror on both sides, like in your top picture.

Dan

That's what I'm thinking too. It would look silly having a larger remote mirror on the left and a smaller manual mirror on the right. It makes sense that they created the larger manual mirror (pic 2 above) to match the looks of the remote mirror on the drivers side (below). But I was under the assumption they also had a passenger side remote mirror too, which apparently is not the case.

hemigeno

I've only seen one RH remote mirror, and that popped up in a thread on this site a couple of weeks ago.

A dealer could easily have installed a manual mirror on the right side if someone would have wanted it, but I don't think they came stock that way.

G33 LH remote / G31 RH manual is the only combo I've seen.  But then again, I haven't seen everything...

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on December 22, 2005, 01:50:07 AM
There are two types of manual mirrors, a larger one that I assume went on the passenger side to match the drivers sdie remote (pic #2 below), and a smaller one which I assume was standard and had no match on the opposite side even though they can go on either side (pic #1). What I really want to know is if they ever put two of the first mirrors pictured below on both sides. Sorry if I'm confusing things.

My '70, like I stated before, did have both the left and right manual mirrors.. The standard mirror should have been the driver's manual. With that being said, it probably DID NOT reflect that on the fender data tag since it was a standard body component. That's a educated assumption though and I can't at the present time "prove" it.. I do remember there was a code for the passenger manual mirror.... Now, the driver's remote control mirror did have a twin for the passenger side as in the lower pic of BULL's reply, but as we all know, it wasn't remote-controlled............ The manual passenger mirror did look exactly like the driver's and if memory serves me, they were interchangeable, albeit, was totally useless for the most part....

I bought my car in '85 and it looked like the mirror was very original to the car, plus the fact I remember a code for it...  I don't have any copies of the broadcast sheet or fender tag to that former car... :(

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

The G31 RH Manual mirror that matched the LH Remote mirror was different, in that the outer "lip" of the facing was longer.   The angle between the driver and the mirror was different than the LH side, so they had to have the mirror glass pointed more towards the driver and less towards the rear of the car.   That's the reason for the longer outside leg or lip of the mirror housing.   They weren't interchangeable, unfortunately.   You also can't just put a LH Remote mirror on the RH door, as it wouldn't work right or look right.   That's what was so unusual about the RH remote mirror that we kicked around a while back.   Here's the link to that thread:

RH Remote Mirror Thread

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 22, 2005, 10:31:06 AM
My '70, like I stated before, did have both the left and right manual mirrors.. The standard mirror should have been the driver's manual. With that being said, it probably DID NOT reflect that on the fender data tag since it was a standard body component.

:iagree:

There was not a code for the standard mirror on either the Fender Tag or the Broadcast Sheet.  In the absence of any other codes, that's what they put on.  In '69 anyway, there were only three possible options for the LH side: 
No Code = Manual (P/N 2802710); 
G33 = LH Remote (P/N 2945955); 
G35 = Delete Std. Outside Mirror. 

For the RH side in '69, there were only two options that I've seen mentioned: 
No Code = No RH Mirror; 
G31 = RH Manual Mirror (P/N 2802869), styled to match the LH Remote. 

The '69 Parts Book doesn't even show a listing for the RH Remote mirror mentioned in that other thread, probably because it was an export-car-only item.

The 2802710 standard manual mirror was listed in the parts book as being applicable for either the Left or Right sides, but there wasn't a sales code for a Right Side 2802710 application.  Dealers could have added those very easily , but I still don't think there was a factory code for that in '69 or '70.  There were a lot more mirror options in '70 and up with the addition of the "racing" style mirrors though.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 22, 2005, 11:46:15 AM
...  There were a lot more mirror options in '70 and up with the addition of the "racing" style mirrors though.

I must emphasis that when I say "manual", I'm referring to the manual chrome ones...
Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Here are the '70's per Chris's '70 site...
G31 Mirror - Outside RH Manual Standard Type 75 built 0.8% $6.85

G31 Mirror - Outside RH Remote Type with G33 834 built 8.9% $6.85 chrome equal to G33

G32 Mirror - Outside RH Manual Painted Racing

G33 Mirror - Outside LH Remote Type Chrome 6531 built 69.7% $10.45

G34 Mirror - Outside LH Remote Painted Racing

G35 Delete STD O/S Mirror

G36 Mirror-Outside L+R Both 84 built 0.9% N/A Mid Year Intro

G36 Mirror - Outside L+R PNT 56 built 0.6% N/A Became available February 12, 1970 - colour keyed to only EB5, EF8, FJ5, EK2, FK5, FY1 and FC7

Now, I'm not sure what G36 refers to, manual or the remote-control........ My gut says it's the manual chrome like I had..... 

Troy
Troy

Chris G.

I'll throw my  :Twocents:  in on this subject. I have a friend who has a pretty loaded '68 R/T. He has both remote mirrors on his car. I don't have a tag pic, and since I can't read those things anyway, I couldn't tell you if the tag would indicate what style mirrors the car has. In 1969 and 1970, if you had the G31 and G33 on your tag, you should have dual remote mirrors (I think). If you only see a G31 on the tag, it would indicate that you had a drivers side manual mirror only, or so it seemed. We have a few cars in the registry that don't have a code for any mirror on the tag. It was impossible not to get one, so that still remains a mystery. When I get home, I will check the sheets that we have no mirror code for and post the results...Unless Don sees this first and does it.

In 1970 they added the racing mirrors (G36), would could come in either chrome or body color depending on the color of the car.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 22, 2005, 12:08:06 PM

In 1970 they added the racing mirrors (G36), would could come in either chrome or body color depending on the color of the car.

Ahhhhh, now that makes sense.......... 

Troy
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 22, 2005, 12:08:06 PM
I'll throw my :Twocents: in on this subject. I have a friend who has a pretty loaded '68 R/T. He has both remote mirrors on his car. I don't have a tag pic, and since I can't read those things anyway, I couldn't tell you if the tag would indicate what style mirrors the car has. In 1969 and 1970, if you had the G31 and G33 on your tag, you should have dual remote mirrors (I think). If you only see a G31 on the tag, it would indicate that you had a drivers side manual mirror only, or so it seemed. We have a few cars in the registry that don't have a code for any mirror on the tag. It was impossible not to get one, so that still remains a mystery. When I get home, I will check the sheets that we have no mirror code for and post the results...Unless Don sees this first and does it.

Chris, I gotta disagree with you on this.

If you had no mirror code on the tag, that is when you got the standard drivers side mirror.   (My car was originally this way.....no "G" codes)
G33 is for remote drivers mirror
G31 is for the "matching" pass side mirror (although its non-remote it matches the drivers side)

Ronnies 69 Coronet R/T convertible is coded for both left & right MANUAL mirrors.   I will get the code #'s off him tonight.

Like I stated before, other models have both the non-remote mirrors.   I have never seen both on a 2nd gen Charger
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 22, 2005, 02:00:21 PM
If you had no mirror code on the tag, that is when you got the standard drivers side mirror.   (My car was originally this way.....no "G" codes)
G31 is for the "matching" pass side mirror (although its non-remote it matches the drivers side)

Yep, I have two cars with no codes for the mirrors, and they both have the manual mirror (although my R/T has an el-Cheapo JCWhitney replacement mirror that I have to leave on there until I have it repainted).

Ronnies 69 Coronet R/T convertible is coded for both left & right MANUAL mirrors.   I will get the code #'s off him tonight.

Like I stated before, other models have both the non-remote mirrors.   I have never seen both on a 2nd gen Charger

I do not see ANY code in the Sales Code lists for a LH Manual Mirror.   I don't think there is one.   I could be wrong on this one, but I don't see it anywhere in my books.

I'm trashing through my stuff to see if there is a requirement anywhere that the G31 RH Manual Mirror had to be ordered with the G33 LH Remote.   If there is no such requirement, then perhaps a car with G31 coded but no G33 just got a second standard Manual mirror mounted on the RH side??

:shruggy:

68 RT

My dads new 68 charger had driver remote and manual pass side mirror. From the outside they look the same. If there were pass side remote mirror I would think some one would have seen an upper door pad with the cut out for the knob. I have never seen a pass side upper door pad with a cut out for remote knob.

Chris G.

Chris, I gotta disagree with you on this.

Chris, Geno, Troy etc. I was mistaken when I said passenger side remote mirror. It is a manual mirror, but looks almost identical to a remote mirror.

The tags we have with only the G31 would be for a plain jane style drivers side mirror, right? The thing that has me wondering, we have broadcast sheets with no codes for any mirrors. That's where I'm a bit puzzled?

As far as Coronets and even Plymouths, I'm sure it was quite common for them to have plain Jane Mirrors (except the GTX).

hemi68charger

Yes, the passenger side mirror to a driver's remote-control one looks just like it, but reversed... OF course, we're all getting '68 mixed in with '69 and then '70... I, for '70, am talking about there was a driver's and passenger side version of all three mirror styles... Now, in 68 and 69, that's another story..........

Troy
Troy

Chris G.

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 22, 2005, 04:03:50 PM
I, for '70, am talking about there was a driver's and passenger side version of all three mirror styles... Now, in 68 and 69, that's another story..........

Troy

OK, now it's starting to click Troy. Speaking for 1970 only, if you had only the G31 code on the tag you would get a non remote mirror, but similar looking to the remote style, good so far?

Now, if you didn't have any code on the tag or sheet, you received the el cheapo mirror, correct? I think you have shown me the light.   :bow:

The style of mirrors is what was not clicking. I should have known that.   :icon_smile_dead: