News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second gen mirror combinations. What came stock?

Started by bull, December 21, 2005, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTPTRON

Quote from: bull on July 24, 2006, 05:58:36 PM
Quote from: RTPTRON on January 02, 2006, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: bull on December 21, 2005, 05:11:05 PM
So there's no such thing as two non-remote mirrors on a second gen.? At least not from the factory.

Bull, my 68 has the manual mirror on both sides from the factory, I think?  My fender tag, top roll lower case alpha, has a "7" under the "k" that indicates the feature code 537 "Mirror-Outside RH Manual".  There is nothing under the "m" that is also for mirrors.  I think that that is because the LH manual mirror is standard equipment or part of another package?? The mirrors that were on my car before it was painted were most likely the original equipment because they had the Chrysler logo.  I replaced them with the YearOne mirrors that don't have the logo.

I'm dredging this thread up again because I saw RTPTRON's car last Saturday and I (once again) got confused. Ron, do you remember from when you got your car painted how many holes were in your RH door? Did the hole sizes and configuration match the LH door? You Charger is the only second gen I've seen with two of the small, non-remote mirrors on it like this one.

Bull, it may very well be the only one.  We de-installed the originals and installed the Year One knock offs without making any hole modifications.  The holes looked very smooth like you would expect a factory cut to look.  The mirrors that were on there were OE.  When I registered my car with the Dodge Charger Registry back in 2000 Wayne Wooten decoded my fender tag.  Under the lower case "k" there is a "7" which is feature 537 Mirror RH Manual.  Galen's little code book backs that up.  However, Wayne indicated that the upper case "P" with a "6" is for the LH Manual Mirror and Galen's book indicated that that is feature 426 which is the rear speaker package.

I beleave that there are very few cars equiped this way and that there is a good chance that mine is one of them.  Check for codes under the lower case "k" and/or "m" on your fender tag.  If you don't have a code book let me know what codes are there and I will look it up for you.

Even the "experts" disagree on some of this stuff so who the hell knows for sure.

bull

Wow. If that's original it's a very unique feature. If I ever decide to add a mirror to the other side I'll have to use your car as a reference. I doubt I'll ever do it but I really do prefer having two mirrors. Do you have any pictures of your mirrors on the car you would mind posting?

RTPTRON

Quote from: bull on July 24, 2006, 07:47:41 PM
Wow. If that's original it's a very unique feature. If I ever decide to add a mirror to the other side I'll have to use your car as a reference. I doubt I'll ever do it but I really do prefer having two mirrors. Do you have any pictures of your mirrors on the car you would mind posting?

Bull, I have yet to have anybody back me up on this, but no one has really argued that I am wrong either.  Even Dan has kind of stayed nutral on it when I tryed to get his support.

In short, please don't do anything to your car based on my car.  I know you want to be as correct as possible and not have anything on your car that could not have been there from the factory or dealer installed.  I have my above fender tag argument to help back me up.  Make sure you have something from your car to back you up.

bull

Quote from: RTPTRON on July 24, 2006, 08:30:07 PM
Quote from: bull on July 24, 2006, 07:47:41 PM

Bull, I have yet to have anybody back me up on this, but no one has really argued that I am wrong either.  Even Dan has kind of stayed nutral on it when I tryed to get his support.

In short, please don't do anything to your car based on my car.  I know you want to be as correct as possible and not have anything on your car that could not have been there from the factory or dealer installed.  I have my above fender tag argument to help back me up.  Make sure you have something from your car to back you up.

Yea, I'll have enough explaining to do with the black paint job I guess.

8WHEELER

Like I told you Ron, I have seen a 68 Dodge Wagon that had the original right and left non remote mirrors.

This was 26yrs ago, and I asked the original owner if the car came with the RH Mirror? he said yes it was original.

That is the only way I can support you, I never did see his fender tag, and back then, I could not have read it.

The only reason I have a RH remote mirror now, is because the DMV says I would be better off with one
because of my physical condition. So if I want my car to be legal for me to drive, or my other cars, I need a
RH mirror.

I will bet a large amount of money, that Ron's RH mirror is in the same spot as mine, I took measurements
off another 70 Charger 20yrs ago, to make sure mine would be in the exact location it would be if it had
come from the factory.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

RTPTRON

Yea, I'll have enough explaining to do with the black paint job I guess.

Bull, that is completely different.  Your car could very well have come complete with black paint and many did.  It is possible, but I don't believe probable, that it could not have come with two simple non-remote mirrors.

dodgecharger-fan

JimShine

Here is a sad one. This car was a nicely optioned '69 with dual mirrors (remote and matching non-remote passenger side). I grabbed the passenger door, but I only wish I grabbed the crusty fender tag before someone else did.

hemigeno

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 31, 2006, 07:04:07 AM
remote mirror delete door pads!

I didn't think those pads were rare - I have two cars that are not coded for the G33 remote mirror, and their pads look the same as those.  There's just a plug in the space where the mirror remote joystick normally goes.  I've even seen the plug listed for sale separately on eBay a few times.

Am I missing something here?

???

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: hemigeno on July 31, 2006, 11:08:03 AM

Am I missing something here?

???

I've never seen them before. I thought they were fairly rare.
I think it was mentioned above that not too many Chargers cam without a LH remote mirror...

JimShine

Yeah, nothing rare about that pad. It is the same on remote cars as well. That plug is a piece of diecast metal with the vinyl grain mimicked on the top and held in with a clip. They paint the plug interior color. Here is my plug I took out of the original pad and swapped into this better pad that came from a remote mirror car.

Yeah, not many Chargers seem to have the non-remote mirror. I love the look of the remote style, but I like being a little different too and since my car came with the standard style, I think I will leave it (but I could change my mind).

hemigeno

Chris (Just_6T9) can probably give some much better percentages than I can, but of the Daytona's that I have in my informal Fender Tag registry, about 25% of them came with only the LH manual mirror.

The '69 Registry figures would be much more accurate than my small sampling though...

:popcrn:

Blakcharger440

I have never seen a 2nd gen charger with a factory body colored mirror and
have never seen one with a passenger side mirror. Obviously they are out there but seem to be rare?

MGBRingo

I am at the lake right now and don't have my fender tag codes with me.

My 70 RT SE has the remote left mirror and manual right mirror.  I am pretty sure that it also had the G31 and G33 codes on the tag because I remember decoding them and seeing both the remote left mirror and manual right side mirror listed.

I can check it out on Monday when we get back into town and will post it here.

A good reminder to register my car with the 70 registry also.  I keep forgetting to do it.

Ron

bull

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on August 05, 2006, 12:19:49 PM
have never seen one with a passenger side mirror. Obviously they are out there but seem to be rare?

Passenger side mirrors are not that uncommon but 99% of the time when you see one with a passenger side mirror it's a large non-remote that matches the large remote on the driver's side. RTPTRON seems to have proved that at least one 2nd generation Charger came with two small non remote mirrors.

Ron, is it possible that passenger's side mirror was a dealer add-on? Did your original mirrors have two different part numbers or were they identical?

Chris G.

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on August 05, 2006, 12:19:49 PM

The option in 1970 is G36, which is for the dual "racing" mirrors. It was a mid year option, so you won't see it very often. They could also came in certain colors (pink, blue, sublime, go mango, yellow, burnt orange andplum crazy).

Chris G.

Quote from: MGBRingo on August 05, 2006, 01:16:56 PM

My 70 RT SE has the remote left mirror and manual right mirror.  I am pretty sure that it also had the G31 and G33 codes on the tag because I remember decoding them and seeing both the remote left mirror and manual right side mirror listed.

A good reminder to register my car with the 70 registry also.  I keep forgetting to do it.

Ron

Ron, like you mentioned, you should have the G31 and G33 on the tag for the dual mirrors. Not sure about '69 cars and how they layout.

And registering sounds like a nice plan.  :yesnod: :thumbs:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Chris G. on August 05, 2006, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: MGBRingo on August 05, 2006, 01:16:56 PM

Ron

Ron, like you mentioned, you should have the G31 and G33 on the tag for the dual mirrors. Not sure about '69 cars and how they layout.

FWIW---69 STL will code, G31 alone, G33 alone and G31 with G33 when applicable. I'm pretty sure 69 Hamtramck coded the same way but let's see what Chris has to say.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

RTPTRON

[quote

Ron, is it possible that passenger's side mirror was a dealer add-on? Did your original mirrors have two different part numbers or were they identical?

Bull, My fender tag only identifies the optional outside RH manual mirror.  The stock manual mirror is not on the tag because it was the stock LH small manual mirror. 

On the 68 Fender Tag under the lower case "k" there is a "7" indicating a passenger side manual mirror.  This is the only code on the fender tag for outside mirrors.  I believe that since the fender tag is for optional equipment only (Standard equipment = ( manual LH Mirror).  Then it stands to reason that the fender tag is trying to tell me that I also have the same small manual mirror on the RH side.

Who the hell knows?

bull

Your car must have been ordered that way. It sure doesn't fit into what seems to be the norm. :shruggy:

Ryan.C

Could you get the G36 racing mirror optioin in crome instead of body color?
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Ryan.C on January 10, 2015, 04:28:48 PM

For 70 the G36 option was color keyed to the following colors: EB5, EF8, FJ5, EK2, FK5, FY1 and FC7.

If the car was not one of those colors then the G36 option was in chrome.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 12, 2015, 07:29:06 AM
Quote from: Ryan.C on January 10, 2015, 04:28:48 PM

For 70 the G36 option was color keyed to the following colors: EB5, EF8, FJ5, EK2, FK5, FY1 and FC7.

If the car was not one of those colors then the G36 option was in chrome.

Thanks much  :2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.