News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second gen mirror combinations. What came stock?

Started by bull, December 21, 2005, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

OK I know this post may not be right but do any of you need ONE like the TOP ONE IS BULL's #8 reply?

I know I will not use it.

Tom

hemigeno

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 22, 2005, 04:11:28 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 22, 2005, 04:03:50 PM
I, for '70, am talking about there was a driver's and passenger side version of all three mirror styles... Now, in 68 and 69, that's another story..........

Troy

OK, now it's starting to click Troy. Speaking for 1970 only, if you had only the G31 code on the tag you would get a non remote mirror, but similar looking to the remote style, good so far?

Now, if you didn't have any code on the tag or sheet, you received the el cheapo mirror, correct? I think you have shown me the light.   :bow:

The style of mirrors is what was not clicking. I should have known that.   :icon_smile_dead:

That sounds right to me, Chris - but with the caveat that the non-remote (manual) RH mirror would match the style of the LH mirror.  Meaning I don't think they would put the standard manual mirror on the LH side, and the styled mirror (or a chrome/painted racing style) mirror on the RH side.

I was not able to find anything about whether the G31 RH manual mirror could be ordered without the G33 LH Remote mirror.  The only thing I could find was a blurb in the Owners Manual under the manual mirror section that said you could order a Right Side mirror from your dealer.  That implies (to me) that LH manual mirror cars did not come with a RH manual mirror, but it could be purchased and installed from a dealer.  It's still a debatable issue, for sure. 

I, for one, would like to know if you guys could check the '69 and '70 registries to see if the G31 code was ever listed without G33.  That would shed a whole lot of light on the situation for me anyway.

Here's the blurb from the manual:

Chris G.

Quote from: Blown70 on December 22, 2005, 04:18:43 PM
OK I know this post may not be right but do any of you need ONE like the TOP ONE IS BULL's #8 reply?

Tom

Not me, but thanks for the offer. BTW, have you registered your ride with us?   :shruggy: :wave:

Blown70

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 22, 2005, 04:33:55 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on December 22, 2005, 04:18:43 PM

Tom

Not me, but thanks for the offer. BTW, have you registered your ride with us?   :shruggy: :wave:

Ok, well I registered on the 70 site but not the car.....  UMM maybe I am a dumb hick but where do I register the car when I get to the site?

bull

I've got a second standard manual mirror too and was seriously considering installing it on the RH door of my '68 to match the stock LH mirror. But I honestly don't think I could work up the courage to drill holes in my door. :icon_smile_shock:

Chris G.

Quote from: hemigeno on December 22, 2005, 04:33:20 PM
I, for one, would like to know if you guys could check the '69 and '70 registries to see if the G31 code was ever listed without G33.   That would shed a whole lot of light on the situation for me anyway.

Geno, we have 6 cars registered with only G31 on the tag. One car (Hemi) appears to have an original window sticker that lists the G31 mirror as "mirror-manual right outside". Another car we had sent to us appears to have a Galen breakdown, and it also list the G31 as a right hand manual mirror. So once again I'm flip flopping and now thinking that if G31 was on the tag by itself, that would mean you would have dual manual cheapo mirrors. If you had the G31 and G33 together on the tag, you would have the drivers side remote mirror and the passenger side manual mirror, but resembling the drivers side mirror. Now does that sound legit? I'm tired but very interested.

Chris G.

Quote from: Blown70 on December 22, 2005, 04:37:40 PM
Ok, well I registered on the 70 site but not the car.....   UMM maybe I am a dumb hick but where do I register the car when I get to the site?

You registered at the message board. There's a whole 'nother part of the site out there waiting for you to check out. www.1970chargerregistry.com, or you can email me your info, but first check out the registration page here http://1970chargerregistry.com/page2.html . Pictures of any documentation is always preferred.   :icon_smile_big:

admin@1970chargerregistry.com   :wave:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 22, 2005, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on December 22, 2005, 04:33:20 PM
I, for one, would like to know if you guys could check the '69 and '70 registries to see if the G31 code was ever listed without G33.   That would shed a whole lot of light on the situation for me anyway.

Geno, we have 6 cars registered with only G31 on the tag. One car (Hemi) appears to have an original window sticker that lists the G31 mirror as "mirror-manual right outside". Another car we had sent to us appears to have a Galen breakdown, and it also list the G31 as a right hand manual mirror. So once again I'm flip flopping and now thinking that if G31 was on the tag by itself, that would mean you would have dual manual cheapo mirrors. If you had the G31 and G33 together on the tag, you would have the drivers side remote mirror and the passenger side manual mirror, but resembling the drivers side mirror. Now does that sound legit? I'm tired but very interested.

Chris I believe you are correct.

I got my friends codes off his tag on his 69 Coronet R/T 'vert

He has ONLY G31 for the manual RH mirror.

To me that would mean he got the standard LH mirror   (standard) and opted for the RH matching mirror

Of the 32 cars in the 69 registry that have the G31 code ALL have the G33 code as well.   None have G31 by itself
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

as I told... never have known about passneger side remoted mirror on A, B and E bodies untill 75. Maybe available only on C bodies and that the reason it could exist the code for that. on My 74 Moparts catalog it does exist a graphic of the passeger side remoted mirror with joystick mounted in the middle of dash, below it but if that was an option to B bodies then should exist the cut out to install it at least.

P.S.: just checked on my catalog and ilustration specify LH remote mirror to P,D,C and Y models... those are all C bodies ( Dodges, Monacos, Chryslers adn Imperials )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dodge Don

Okay.....Chris nudged me to weigh in on this. Now I have no info on 68s or 69s (not my bag baby) so this is strictly from a 70 Charger perspective:

All 1970 Chargers came standard with a drivers side (left) manual mirror. As this was standard it would not be reflected on either the fender tag or the broadcast sheet. Manual means you have to roll down the window and adjust the mirror by hand.

Although the above was "standard", the vast majority of 70 Chargers were built with the optional G33 drivers side (left) remote mirror....meaning the driver could adjust the mirror from inside the car. This code is reflected on the fender tag and the broadcast sheet. Cars with the standard manual drivers side mirror are very very rare......only a handfull have been registered versus the huge numbers registered with the G33 option.

Another option was for the G31 passenger side (right) manual mirror....there was never a remote mirror offered for the passenger side. This code is reflected on both the fender tag and the broadcast sheet. The G31 option is obviously rarer than the popular G33 option, and in most cases when G31 is selected the G33 option was also selected......so in the vast majority of cases when a car came with the G31 passenger side mirror the car also had the G33 drivers side remote mirror as well. However, there are cars that, albeit not many, were equipped with the G31 passenger side manual mirror and the standard drivers side manual mirror.....why someone would order this combo is beyond me but they exist, again these are rare. In these odd cases the fender tag and broadcast sheet would reflect the G31 code only.

And finally, a mid-year option was the G36 dual colour keyed racing mirrors. Published references to this mid-year option indicate that it became available on February 12, 1970, however this has not been proven conclusively. These are rare and the earliest car with this option on record in the Registry was built on May 8 1970. As the 1970 model year moved on we see more and more G36 equipped cars popping up with the majority built in the final month of July 1970.....possibly because it was a mid-year released option the dealership sales staff were less familiar with this option and the already printed sales material likely made no reference to it so buyers likely were unaware of this option. They were colour keyed to only EB5, EF8, FJ5, EK2, FK5, FY1 and FC7. I must confess I actually don't know if the drivers side racing mirror was a remote or manual version.....never thought of looking into that.

hemigeno

Don,

Do you or does anyone else know whether on the cars with G31 only, was the RH manual mirror just another LH manual mirror attached to the RH door (where the whole head of the mirror moves as it is adjusted), or is it the RH mirror styled after that of the LH remote mirror (with a fixed housing, and the mirror glass adjusts within the housing itself)?

Dodge Don

Geno, I've never seen a manual drivers side mirror.....or more to the point, I never look at the mirrors when I see other cars at shows etc. and have never compared the styles....I may have seen them but took no notice.

However, the 70 parts manual shows one manual mirror for Chargers that is designated for left and right use, PN2802710, so I assume the one manual mirror works on both sides.

There is a separate manual mirror "round type" that is the right hand companion to the left remote mirror (G33)

So I can only assume the right mirror selected under the G31 option is dependant on what is on the left side so they match.

bull

So Don, are you saying the '70s never came with the smaller of the two manual mirrors pictured on page one of this thread? I'm getting confused believe it or not. :P

Dodge Don

Again....I don't look at mirrors.....except to look at my handsome image  ;D

That said...I believe the smaller mirror with the swivel head is the interchangeable left or right manual mirror that you would see on a 70 Charger that was not coded for the G33 remote drivers mirror. So to be clear, if your fender tag does not show G33 then this is the mirror that would be on the drivers side......and if your fender tag was not coded for G33 but was coded for G31 this would be the exact same mirror that would be mounted on the passenger side as well. Same mirror fits both sides because of the swivel head design.

The larger mirror, the one everyone is most familiar with is the G33 remote mirror style. So if your fender tag was coded for G33 this is the mirror that would be on the drivers side. If your fender tag was coded with both G33 and G31 then the passenger side would have the same style mirror, except it would be a manual version...and the mirror is different in that it is specifically designed for the passenger side since the unit does not swivel.

I would expect that all the drivers doors were pre-drilled for the remote mirror cable assembly.

Chris G.

What perfect timing. This ebay car has NO mirror code. Chances of this mirror being changed are probably slim. I am guessing that if this car did have G31 only on the tag, it would get a passenger mirror identical to this one.

Thoughts?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 23, 2005, 12:42:48 PM
What perfect timing. This ebay car has NO mirror code. Chances of this mirror being changed are probably slim. I am guessing that if this car did have G31 only on the tag, it would get a passenger mirror identical to this one.

Thoughts?

Those are my thoughts as well....... The fender data tag usually reflected options.. That mirror there is standard equipment.... So, why have an "option" code for the data tag.. Now, the other side mirror is another story...... That mirror is like the one I had on my former v-code '70, this picture is back in '83-'84, I can't remember.. But, it's where I found it and it had been there for years........ 

Here:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Just 6T9 CHGR

Here is my friend Ronnie's 69 Coronet R/T 'vert that has G31 ONLY on the tag.

He has MANUAL (round) mirrors on BOTH sides......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chargervert

My 70 R/T SE Has the G36 painted racing mirrors,its FY!,and was built on March 18 1970. I also had another plum crazy 70,march built car that had them too.The purple car was the parts car for the Charger convertible,and if you look at the photos of my convertible you will see that I have the painted mirrors from the purple car on it!

chargervert

Also the drivers side racing mirror is a remote mirror,and the passengers side is a manual mirror. The passengers side racing mirror,is shaped different from the drivers side mirror,just like the ones on 70 E bodies,it tapers out to a point! These were 1970 racing mirrors only on B,and E bodies. The 71-74 B,and E body mirrors were the same size and shape left to right.However,the racing mirrors that were used on 1970 B bodies were also used on 1970-1972 A bodies,and were available chrome,or painted.

Dodge Don

Quote from: chargervert on December 25, 2005, 01:04:12 AM
My 70 R/T SE Has the G36 painted racing mirrors,its FY!,and was built on March 18 1970. I also had another plum crazy 70,march built car that had them too.The purple car was the parts car for the Charger convertible,and if you look at the photos of my convertible you will see that I have the painted mirrors from the purple car on it!

You need to register with the 70 Registry and provide a picture of your fender tag....your build date and G36 option would re-establish the earliest build date with this option.

chargervert

Yeah I will get around too it.The cars are in storage,When I get the new garage weather tight I will be moving the cars! Right now there not easily accessable! There is a picture of the yellow 70 R/T SE on my nosecone dry fit thread,but I don't think the mirror can be seen in the photo.There is a really good shot of the passengers side mirror on my convertible in a thread that Old Moparz posted,that is titled Chargerverts pictures on page 7 or 8 of the general discussion forum. Thats what the racing mirrors look like!

chargervert

I was able to locate the fender tag from the purple car,and it dosen't list the mirror code. I do have the build sheet for the car,and they are on that. the tag reads as follows.
26 END
M31 N85 R22 V24
H51 J25 J45 J81 L31 M21
V1X A01 A36 B51 C16 C55
FC7 C6XW EW1 318 105818
E86 D32 XS29 U0G 207 XXX
It really was an interesting car,440,auto,A/C,15 inch rallye wheels,hood pins,plum crazy paint,white top,stripe,and interior.It also had a black go wing,black performance hood treatment,with white 440 callout decals,and those painted racing mirrors! I know I have that build sheet somewhere for that car.If I can find it I will post it.

Chris G.

Nice car 'Vert. :o  Is there a chance you can send us a copy of your broadcast sheet and tag? It's all confidential I assure you.

admin@1970chargerregistry.com  :wave:

RTPTRON

Quote from: bull on December 21, 2005, 05:11:05 PM
So there's no such thing as two non-remote mirrors on a second gen.? At least not from the factory.

Bull, my 68 has the manual mirror on both sides from the factory, I think?  My fender tag, top roll lower case alpha, has a "7" under the "k" that indicates the feature code 537 "Mirror-Outside RH Manual".  There is nothing under the "m" that is also for mirrors.  I think that that is because the LH manual mirror is standard equipment or part of another package?? The mirrors that were on my car before it was painted were most likely the original equipment because they had the Chrysler logo.  I replaced them with the YearOne mirrors that don't have the logo.

bull

Quote from: RTPTRON on January 02, 2006, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: bull on December 21, 2005, 05:11:05 PM
So there's no such thing as two non-remote mirrors on a second gen.? At least not from the factory.

Bull, my 68 has the manual mirror on both sides from the factory, I think?  My fender tag, top roll lower case alpha, has a "7" under the "k" that indicates the feature code 537 "Mirror-Outside RH Manual".  There is nothing under the "m" that is also for mirrors.  I think that that is because the LH manual mirror is standard equipment or part of another package?? The mirrors that were on my car before it was painted were most likely the original equipment because they had the Chrysler logo.  I replaced them with the YearOne mirrors that don't have the logo.

I'm dredging this thread up again because I saw RTPTRON's car last Saturday and I (once again) got confused. Ron, do you remember from when you got your car painted how many holes were in your RH door? Did the hole sizes and configuration match the LH door? You Charger is the only second gen I've seen with two of the small, non-remote mirrors on it like this one.