News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What all exterior changes are needed to make an R/T clone?

Started by jeryst, August 13, 2010, 11:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

I'm going to get my 69 Charger repainted, and I'd like to jazz it up a bit.
I can't afford a real R/T, and I like my car, so I was just wondering what exterior changes are required to make an R/T clone out of it.

Brock Samson

minus the interior/drivetrain bits?
An R/T went on the grill beside the word Charger Script those pieces are not interchangeable BTW, an R/T also went on the tail in place of the Charger script. the Stripe a decal contained an R/T. not stripe cars also known as V-88 coded got a large chromed R/T in the same location. The two tail pipes sported the rectangular exhaust tips.
 A good alternative might be to use the '70 rear stripe which lacked the "R/T" and so wouldn't give your car the "counterfit" strike against it.   :shruggy:
I'm not really familiar with your '69 Jeryst  is it a /6, 318 or 383?.. how was it optioned from the factory and what were the colors? Is that what your going to repaint it?..  :popcrn: if not, what's your choice?..

Lennard

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 14, 2010, 12:25:13 AM
An R/T went on the grill beside the word Charger Script those pieces are not interchangeable BTW
So a non R/T headlight door is different then an R/T headlight door? This is the first time i hear about it... :scratchchin:

Brock Samson

I dont remember too clearly but when i had to buy a new grill in '99 it was a stock Charger gill and I had to swap the headlight door because the Charger/R/T emblem couldn't simply be swapped... As I recall,..  :scratchchin:

Lennard

I see, anybody else with experiences regarding this subject?

jeryst

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 14, 2010, 12:25:13 AM
minus the interior/drivetrain bits?
An R/T went on the grill beside the word Charger Script those pieces are not interchangeable BTW, an R/T also went on the tail in place of the Charger script. the Stripe a decal contained an R/T. not stripe cars also known as V-88 coded got a large chromed R/T in the same location. The two tail pipes sported the rectangular exhaust tips.
 A good alternative might be to use the '70 rear stripe which lacked the "R/T" and so wouldn't give your car the "counterfit" strike against it.   :shruggy:
I'm not really familiar with your '69 Jeryst  is it a /6, 318 or 383?.. how was it optioned from the factory and what were the colors? Is that what your going to repaint it?..  :popcrn: if not, what's your choice?..

I'm only interested in the exterior changes. It is a 383, with console auto. I never decoded the fender tag, but it doesnt have much in the way of options. AT, PS, PB, vinyl top, is pretty much it, although it does have front discs. May have some trim options. It's all original except for the paint, and the seats were recovered some time in the past. Motor has never been tampered with, and looks/sounds stock. Original color was a light yellow with a black vinyl top and tan interior. Still has the tan interior.

I like the current green color so I'm going to have it resprayed the same color. The current paint is very nice, but is over 15 years old, so there is some cracking, bubbling, etc in places, and the DS front fender has a big dent right on the front lip along the edge of the grill, that needs repaired also. I tried to find a bad fender that has a good front section, but have been unsuccessful, so I guess I'll just have to have this one repaired as much as possible.

I dont care about any "Counterfeit" issues. I'm not trying to pass it off as an R/T, I just want it to look a little meaner/sportier. I prefer the non-stripe look, so I would probably go with the chrome R/T badges on the quarters.

As for the R/T badging on the headlight door not being interchangeable, why is that? I have a hard time believing that Dodge actually created a whole new headlight door for the car, so I would think it is just an issue of the mounting holes not being in the right place, or missing, correct? If so , that should be an easy fix.

Other than the badges and stripes, is there anything else? How about door scoops, or were those just a 1970 item? Anything on the hood different?

If it is only a matter of badging, I just may forget the whole idea, and leave it as is.

Belgium R/T -68

The only differences I heard about when researching for my grillework was that 68 and 69 had
different doors due to the position of the R/T emblem.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

69bronzeT5

'68 and '69 grilles have different headlight doors because the locations of the emblems are different HOWEVER, on a '69 grille, you can swap the Charger arrows for a R/T emblem. I did it on mine. Uses the same holes and screws.....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Cooter

Yep, the arrows come off, and the R/T emblem goes on...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chatt69chgr

I think I read that either the headlight door or tailpanel R/T emblems were kind of hard to come by right now.  If you have trouble finding them, you might let the guys on here know.  One of them might have one or both.

I'm in the process of converting my plain jane 318 69 auto to a R/T clone.  But I'm changing the drivetrain to a 440 4sp and 8-3/4 rear.  Won't have the 18 spline trans or the Dana 60 rear though.  I'd liked to have started with a R/T but this is what I have.  It was bought new by my brother-in-law so I guess I'm keeping it in the family as it were. 

I think the exterior changes mentioned are about it.  I'm sure you are aware of the drivetrain/suspension changes already----but you mentioned that these were not important for your clone. 

I havn't tried to put the R/T emblem on the headlight door yet so was happy to read the post saying that it will be simple to accomplish.   

Lennard

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 16, 2010, 04:56:09 AM
'68 and '69 grilles have different headlight doors because the locations of the emblems are different HOWEVER, on a '69 grille, you can swap the Charger arrows for a R/T emblem. I did it on mine. Uses the same holes and screws.....

Quote from: Cooter on August 16, 2010, 06:49:10 AM
Yep, the arrows come off, and the R/T emblem goes on...

That's what i thought... thanks for clarifying.

Domino

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 16, 2010, 04:56:09 AM

I don't want to highjack, but I need help with my '70 headlight door. 
Maybe some of you smart grill folks could bounce over here and help me out:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,72384.msg812025.html#msg812025

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 15, 2010, 07:13:55 AM
The only differences I heard about when researching for my grillework was that 68 and 69 had
different doors due to the position of the R/T emblem.

Per

thats what I though
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html