News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How was the Nats?

Started by MsMopar, August 15, 2010, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: MRCHARGER on August 16, 2010, 08:07:23 AM

I'd say sales were down because vendors charged the same prices on stuff as the do on the internet, sure you save shipping, but most times that's only 5 or 10 bucks. It's not cheap to drive down to Columbus and stay 1 or 2 nights, gas, food, entry.... Whatever happened to the show discount. I'm not talking 50% or anything but even Year One gives you 20% from time to time. Give 10% so I feel like it was worth the trip.

Its also not free for venders to get to the Nats .....Some of them I know of spend 3-4 grand just to do the thing.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

I guess for me I'm not too worried about a show discount.  Saving on the shipping to Canada is a biggie and I'm going anyway so...
However it would be nice if they had the stuff there (some do some don't) and hand out a catalog for the future.

DC_1

Quote from: Ghoste on August 16, 2010, 05:11:56 PM
I guess for me I'm not too worried about a show discount.  Saving on the shipping to Canada is a biggie and I'm going anyway so...
However it would be nice if they had the stuff there (some do some don't) and hand out a catalog for the future.

I completely agree. I came home with $500 in my pocket someone could have taken from me if they brought some things I needed and had them available. Our Canadian government makes us all smugglers up here..... its not just the extra shipping cost, its the tax they charge on the invoice value when it crosses the border. I still ended up spending about $1500 on parts that some of the vendors did have available.

Johnnys70SRT

I have been going to the NATS for over 20 years now and have never been so disgusted and disappointed as I was this year. I contacted a few vendors prior to the NATS to have them bring parts for me and they agreed. Little did I know what an adventure was ahead of me!!!
So I arrive at the NATS Saturday afternoon with the intention of picking up the parts I pre-ordered and ordering more items from vendors that were at the show. First stop was the Mopar Nats headquarters tent to get some T-shirts. Looking at the display, I see the 30 year tribute shirts are already sold out. Then if you want the standard issue NATS shirt, they only have sizes L-XL-XXL. So I bought a shirt one size bigger than I needed and asked for a bag. Guy procedes to tell me they are all out of those too. I asked him who plans a 30th anniversary car show and runs out of stuff this early in the game??? After 30 years you think you would have some kind of system, but not at the NATS. This was only the beginning of things to come.
Finding the vendors like Year One and Legendary Auto Interiors was not a problem because of course they were right on the Mid-way. However, trying to find the vendors that were outside of the Mid-way seemed nearly impossible. I had a friend of mine with me and we were both searching without success. So I went back to the headquarters tent to ask them where I could find a couple of vendors I was looking for. First guy I talk to says, "your just gonna have to walk around the grounds and find them."   :mad:  So I ask someone else under the tent to help me out and I get the same damn answer!!!  :flame: :flame: I could go on and on with this, but I'm sure you all get the point. There was no cooperation or customer service of any kind by the people running the Mopar Nats!!!
Continuing on my Saturday adventure, I had no success in finding the vendors I was looking for. I asked everyone from other vendors to spectators to other friends I knew were at the show, with no luck. Stormy weather started to move in and everyone began to flee the track. So it was time to leave and come back Sunday to get my parts. Came in early on Sunday and continued the search for vendors I was looking for. Seemed that alot of people must have packed up and left Saturday because of the weather forecast for Sunday because the field was pretty empty. Totally frustrated, I was about to hang up my search but decided to ask just 1 more person if they knew where I could find the vendors I was looking for. There was a lemonade stand at the back of the track with a teenage kid working it. So I ask him if he could help me and he actually did. He left the stand shortly and walked me over to a map of the track with the vendors listed on it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This kid knew about a map and NOONE from the MOPAR NATS CREW did?? WTF!!!  :brickwall: Something is definitely wrong with this picture. We found a couple of the vendors listed on the map and he directed me to where I could find them. I went to their spaces only to find out that the majority of them left on Saturday. Now I look like the fool who did not pick up my parts.
I knew going into this that the NATS is not the most organized event, but I surely did not expect it to be such a debacle as it was this year. For those of us that are disgusted with this event, we need to write to the NATS organization and express our dissatisfaction.
I believe TUFFCAT summed the whole weekend up in his description. National Trail Raceway has alot to learn about hosting an event like this. Over 20 years later and you folks still can't even keep the bathrooms presentable!!! Pay someone to clean those things once in awhile. ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTING!!!!!!  :eek2: By the way, National Trail, the participants of this show have thousands of dollars invested in their cars and I'm sure they do not appreciate hundreds of golf carts flying around their vehicles. If you want to have track officials shuttle people around on golf carts that is one thing, but most of the people who rented those golf carts think the grounds are one big go-kart track for them to race around. I almost got hit around a dozen times while I was walking. This is ridiculous!!!!
I feel sorry for the vendors that spent good money to buy spaces and got NO support from the Mopar Nats organization whatsoever. This is not right and must be addressed by the Mopar Nats officials.
To those of you considering going to the NATS, I recommend that you save your time and money and go to Chrysler's @ Carlisle instead. Carlisle is much more organized and much more appreciative of their vendors and participants. There is no drag racing at the Carlise fairgrounds, but the quality of the show more than makes up for it. Oh yeah, and the bathrooms at Carlisle are spotless.
GOODBYE MOPAR NATIONALS  :icon_smile_dissapprove:- from here on out I will be attending Chrysler's @Carlisle because they know how to run a show the right way.    
TO ANSWER YOUR THREAD QUESTION- THE NATS SUCKED!!!!!!!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Johnnys70SRT on August 16, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
 There was a lemonade stand at the back of the track with a teenage kid working it. So I ask him if he could help me and he actually did. He left the stand shortly and walked me over to a map of the track with the vendors listed on it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This kid knew about a map and NOONE from the MOPAR NATS CREW did?? WTF!!!  :brickwall: Something is definitely wrong with this picture. We found a couple of the vendors listed on the map and he directed me to where I could find them.

Dude! You bought some lemonade off of that kid right?  :yesnod:  :D

Not to throw it off topic but Chrysler's @Carlisle is mentioned. My first year at Carlisle this year and the woman at Gate 7 ends up charging me (yes arguing ensued) for my boys who were 8 even though on the web it said 8 and under free. The 2 women running entry/exit overheard the altercation and told me that I needed to come to this gate tomorrow morning and they would let all of us in for free to make it up. They made an executive decision on the spot (a $20 one), no organizers or calls to the front desk, to solve the problem. Sure enough the following morning they saw us walking up and pulled us aside and said that we were all set. I ended up paying for the adults anyhow against their urging but they sent me to the fairground office to get a refund. I didn't exactly find my way there easily as it was all new to me but everyone who I asked was helpful and told me to come back if I got lost. Once there, one 30 second explanation and they handed me 20 bucks with out any argument or even wanting to see my kids to prove their age.

Ill be going back next year. Hopefully with my own ride to show off.  :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Troy

There should be a standard disclaimer that most vendors pack up Saturday afternoon and travel home Sunday. I saw some swap spaces closing down for the day at 3 PM on Saturday - which I thought was very unusual. Probably had something to do with the low foot traffic. Some vendors (mostly used parts it seems) stay until about noon-1 on Sunday but then hightail it out of there. Generally Legendary, Hardens, Mancini, and Year One will be there Sunday but will be completely put of inventory. Legendary will at least take your order and offer free shipping. A lot of the cars (ones that didn't win awards at least) are also gone Sunday. I go Sunday to find the odd deal, talk to anyone I missed, and to get better pictures of the nicest cars since they are out of the tents, there's no one blocking my view, and the hoods and doors are closed. I guess if you're into racing the finals are Sunday as well.

I thought it was completely hilarious that there were at least 15 people directing me to my parking spot Sunday. There are very few spectators (maybe 4-5 rows of cars in the very front) but they had a line of people waving flags about every 30 feet (and they still charged me full price to park).

It's sad that the employees have no idea how to find anything. The vendors know what spot they are in a long time before the show so maybe it's best to ask them beforehand. I honestly think that (especially since it's a race track) National Trails is primarily concerned about the racers/racing and the show is an afterthought. I hate being in the Midway because you can't talk to any of the vendors due to all the noise (it's between the track and staging lanes). Not to mention having the show split in half by the track so you end up walking 20 miles each day (which explains the overabundance of golf carts/4 wheelers/pit bikes too). Monster Mopar has a similar format (racing and show) but it's not nearly as chaotic since the track, pits, midway, swap and car show are clearly delineated - and motorized vehicles are prohibited in certain areas.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rattlehead_74

The one and only time i ever went to the MOPAR NATIONALS was over ten years ago it was at the indiannapolis raceway park??? It was very hot but was very cool event ...tons and tons of "mopes" i remember right behind the drag race track there was a big ol line of superbirds and daytonas ,,that was the coolest part,,we liked it so much we drove home to illinois and went back the next day,,,sounds like it may not be worth the 4 hour plus drive Id have to make to go now but anyways ...oohh it was also cool to watch the drags all weekend too,,thanks, later

gtx6970

Whats a show special????????     I got asked about one about every 20 minutes.

No offense meant, but I have temporary real estate rent to pay , Hotel expenses, fuel costs and All of a sudden I'm now supposed to sell it cheaper. :lol:

I gave out at least a case of water for free.and even a few ice cold MGD's to the customers I knew.
Early saturday afternoon one guy looked like he was going to melt when he came in and paid me for a purchase. and when I offered him a cold bottle of water you would have thought I handed him a $100 dollar bill

MRCHARGER

"I thought it was completely hilarious that there were at least 15 people directing me to my parking spot Sunday. There are very few spectators (maybe 4-5 rows of cars in the very front) but they had a line of people waving flags about every 30 feet (and they still charged me full price to park)."

That was pretty funny and they were very serious about getting you exactly to the right spot. The girl at the very end gave me a nasty look because I didn't park my van close enough to the truck next to me (I needed the space to open the side doors). Plus I pulled up 2" to far.

I have to admit though, I got everything on my list and found parts I have been searching eBay and Craig's for 3 years. It was a lot of fun. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems like something is missing. I was really glad to see bins and boxes of original fasteners and clips, I love diggin through those things.

I didn't realize that it cost so much for the vendors to do the show but if you research like I do in your mind your hoping to pay a LITTLE less than the catalogue price. Funny how insulted people are that I would have the audacity to want a small discount for driving 4 hours walking around in 110 degree (heat index) and spending plenty of my hard to come by $$$ to get there, stay there, park, gate... it's not cheap for me either. All the new parts I bought would have been cheaper to buy just sitting here on my ass at this computer, shipping isn't that much. A lot of people were offering beverages for a donation, no one offered me anything for free. It's nice to know that someone was taking care of customers/fellow Mopar enthusiast.

As far as the swap meet goes, I've always been frustrated with Charger part prices, it's like everyone wants to take advantage of us. Although there is a price to be paid for owning the best car Mopar ever made. I've sold stuff at swap meets before and I'd rather see someone take it home and use it then end up back in my trailer. Many, many parts are being re-popped and if you are restoring a car you won't put junk on it. The days of people building the "Joe Dirt Daytona" are gone (I hope). Side note, at the woodward dreamcruise 2 years ago I saw one that was a real XX car and it had all the right stuff for one it looked just like the car from the movie. I didn't know what to think, it seemed wrong but cool at the same time.

I'm giving the Nats a B this year.

472 R/T SE

I don't know if it has anything to do with being in a chair but I'm usually always prepared.

My first trip to the east coast for a Mopar show, Carlisle, and I knew exactly where Bill (A & M) was cause weeks prior I got a map.  Same with Frank & Metro.  I hadn't spent any money with these guys' just wanted to meet them.

And they were exactly where the map showed them being.

MsMopar

I enjoyed reading all the input, good or bad. I know the show is what you make of it, but last year I was disappointed that Brice Rd was dead. I liked the 4 lanes and the lighting better than Heath. Maybe it is time for them to move to a different location again. I wasn't impressed with Indy either, although, it was half the distance for me. I hear Brainard (Sp?) Minnesota is a really nice track. Any other suggestions? Maybe the Nats officials will see this thread and try somewhere else. MsMopar

PA Dodger

The only "big" shows I've done are Chrysler Carlisle and the Nats. I've done every Chrysler Carlisle event and about 20 Nats shows. I like Carlisle because it's an organized car show. I like the Nats because I love the drag racing and the cruising atmosphere. As far as swap meet, I see the same used parts vendors cart the same crap to these two shows for way too long now. You would think they would get the message.
As for the Nats, is it track staff or Mopar Nats staff that run the show? Someone needs to police the show! I'm the person who is going to go postal on every a$$hole on a quad or golfcart that is too lazy to walk the swap meet, or the midway( where they aren't supposed to be), or in the general car show section.  They drive through the swap meet aisles and shop from their golf cart. You're always trying to get around them or you're getting run over!
I met some great people, saw lots of nice cars, enjoyed the cruises, and had a great time otherwise. That's what makes it worth it. Wouldn't miss it...unless it goes back to Indy.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

noff57

The Golf carts is what I HATE.  :flame:

flyinlow

Went Friday and Saturday. Heat was a killer. Met Brain . Looked for Ghostes cook out , never found it. Brice was dead . Got spanked by a Hemi Super Bee driving home , caught me in  Sleeping in Overdrive and lock- up .  Friday night in Heath was great.,lots of burn outs. Saturday night it rained, when it finnally dried out it was late and the cops where starting to shut it down. Spectators braved the weather. Way to many non Mopars clogging the route. Swap meet was good. Got a trunk load of treasures.  The Charger took the heat ,traffic, and burn-outs in stride.

DixieRestoParts

Wish me luck and say a Prayer for me gang. If all goes well, I should be on the road today by 3pm. The shop had to order some parts that were damaged and one of them was wrong. They are trying to get it exchanged now and hope to have it by noon. The hotel has given me an extended check-out, so that saves a few bucks.

I had to replace the engine after this year's Carlisle, and it was just out of warranty. Ma Mopar would not help. Last year, I had the rear-end rebuilt under warranty just after the Nats, so I've basically got a new drivetrain. The tranny shop guy said he'd never seen a vehicle so well maintained and clean. LOL. I guess that was nice compliment, but I sure would rather have not had to replace the tranny. $$$$$$$ I just wasn't expecting to spend.

So much for trading it in on a diesel. I'm too deep in it now with new engine and tranny. 
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

DC_1

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on August 18, 2010, 09:00:15 AM
Wish me luck and say a Prayer for me gang. If all goes well, I should be on the road today by 3pm. The shop had to order some parts that were damaged and one of them was wrong. They are trying to get it exchanged now and hope to have it by noon. The hotel has given me an extended check-out, so that saves a few bucks.

I had to replace the engine after this year's Carlisle, and it was just out of warranty. Ma Mopar would not help. Last year, I had the rear-end rebuilt under warranty just after the Nats, so I've basically got a new drivetrain. The tranny shop guy said he'd never seen a vehicle so well maintained and clean. LOL. I guess that was nice compliment, but I sure would rather have not had to replace the tranny. $$$$$$$ I just wasn't expecting to spend.

So much for trading it in on a diesel. I'm too deep in it now with new engine and tranny. 

Put a pic of the beast up!

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Sydmoe on August 18, 2010, 10:15:46 AM
Quote from: DixieRestoParts on August 18, 2010, 09:00:15 AM

Put a pic of the beast up!

Here she is !
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

chargerboy69

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 15, 2010, 08:13:24 PM
Dust bowl, hot, totally dis-organized, completely mis-managed, filthy, shitty, hoopty cars, dirty bathrooms, horrible food, worthless swap meet, total confusion, mopeds, golf carts, mini-bikes, scooters, and dirt everwhere....

Any questions?  :icon_smile_dissapprove:    

I did not go the last couple years and did not miss it one bit this year. Until they move it out of Columbus, (the place is a total sh!t hole) I will not be back.  IRP was so much nicer of a facility to hold the show.  And attendance was never higher in participants and lookers than it was when it was in Indy.  Great move by the organizers.  :-\
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

DixieRestoParts

Looks like I spoke too soon. They ordered the wrong parts, maybe I can leave tomorrow.  :brickwall:
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

41husk

Are they giving you the after show special :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 41husk on August 18, 2010, 12:48:15 PM
Are they giving you the after show special :icon_smile_big:

LOL !!

Oh yeah, I'm getting the "special". Actually, they are paying for the last 2 nights hotel and they offered to rent me a car to go to Atlanta, so I can't complain there. But, 8  hours home just to turn around and do another 16 hours this Sat just doesn't make sense. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Ma Mopar will get the right parts in tomorrow.

I'm having the tranny fixed at a Aamco, the owner answered the phone on Sunday and was very helpful with directions to his place and "safe" motel information. So, I had it towed there. He's even offered to take me places if we needed to go, such as Wal-mart. Which is where I'll be going this afternoon as we're all out of clean clothes.  :eek2:
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

41husk

Good luck!! sounds like an adventure :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 18, 2010, 11:16:48 AM
Dust bowl, hot, totally dis-organized, completely mis-managed, filthy, shitty, hoopty cars, dirty bathrooms, horrible food, worthless swap meet, total confusion, mopeds, golf carts, mini-bikes, scooters, and dirt everwhere....

I did not go the last couple years and did not miss it one bit this year. Until they move it out of Columbus, (the place is a total sh!t hole) I will not be back.  IRP was so much nicer of a facility to hold the show.  And attendance was never higher in participants and lookers than it was when it was in Indy.  Great move by the organizers.  :-\

These are EXACTLY my thoughts on the Mopar Nationals.

BrianShaughnessy

Good luck with the transmission and getting home Randy!   

Being from Michigan originally myself,   I can only sympathize with having to stay in Ohio for any length of time.   Try not to drink the water  :icon_smile_big: 

I lost the power steering pump in the Jeep but we kept on going anyway.     Troy and I tried to have a conversation over the sounds of the dragstrip while he watched me and Rick dismantling and stuffing the MA tent contents... then we got on the road by noon Sunday.  I got home 11pm. 

I wish they'd move the gNats back to the Chelsea grounds... or anyplace that has a decent set of clean bathrooms!  :yesnod:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TUFCAT

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 18, 2010, 11:16:48 AM

I did not go the last couple years and did not miss it one bit this year. Until they move it out of Columbus, (the place is a total sh!t hole) I will not be back.  IRP was so much nicer of a facility to hold the show.  And attendance was never higher in participants and lookers than it was when it was in Indy.  Great move by the organizers.  :-\

I agree. This is not the premier Mopar show by any stretch of the imagination....and therefore should not be called "the Nationals" IMO.  I don't agree that a show of this much importance (mostly by name only) should be held at such a dumpy facilty.  :moon: