News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How was the Nats?

Started by MsMopar, August 15, 2010, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsMopar

I didn't get to go.  :'( MsMopar

TUFCAT

Dust bowl, hot, totally dis-organized, completely mis-managed, filthy, shitty, hoopty cars, dirty bathrooms, horrible food, worthless swap meet, total confusion, mopeds, golf carts, mini-bikes, scooters, and dirt everwhere....

Any questions?  :icon_smile_dissapprove:    

MsMopar

Did you go or is that just your general opinion?  :shruggy: MsMopar

TUFCAT

Quote from: MsMopar on August 15, 2010, 08:17:51 PM
Did you go or is that just your general opinion?  :shruggy: MsMopar

The event sucks....and continues to get worse every year. :'(

MsMopar

No fun huh? I figured it would be hot. Was the cruise better at Heath or Brice this year? MsMopar

1970Moparmann

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 15, 2010, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: MsMopar on August 15, 2010, 08:17:51 PM
Did you go or is that just your general opinion?  :shruggy: MsMopar

The event sucks....and continues to get worse every year. :'(

I haven't been for about 5 years for that reason.  Been doing more open large shows instead......
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Troy

It was hot and sticky (big surprise!). Brice was dead but I heard Heath was packed. The show seemed less crowded and vendors said sales were down. It may have been the heat - no one was moving! I did not have any altercations with golf carts. I will post pictures when I recover.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 15, 2010, 08:13:24 PM
Dust bowl, hot, totally dis-organized, completely mis-managed, filthy, shitty, hoopty cars, dirty bathrooms, horrible food, worthless swap meet, total confusion, mopeds, golf carts, mini-bikes, scooters, and dirt everwhere....

Any questions?  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   

It looks Carlisle is still THE Mopar event... right ?

ore there is another one similar ? I have known one in Las Vegas ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JT01

I had fun even though it was hot. You just have to have alot of patience walking around there. I bought a lot of parts. Profesor Partricks 68 Charger conv was awsome.

noff57

I enjoyed it other than the HEAT.

MRCHARGER

I had not gone in about 10 years. It didn't seem like "The Mopar Nationals". I've been to a Mopar show at Milan Dragway that was just as fun, just as hot, and just as dusty an 240 miles closer. I was thinking last night; where do they put the concourse cars and how do you keep them from getting blown out with dirt.

I'd say sales were down because vendors charged the same prices on stuff as the do on the internet, sure you save shipping, but most times that's only 5 or 10 bucks. It's not cheap to drive down to Columbus and stay 1 or 2 nights, gas, food, entry.... Whatever happened to the show discount. I'm not talking 50% or anything but even Year One gives you 20% from time to time. Give 10% so I feel like it was worth the trip.

As far as the swaps, some things never change; if it's for a Charger it must be worth it's weight in gold. After 25 years of going to these things I can't believe how many guys will keep putting the same junk back in their trailers when you are standing there with cash and a reasonable offer. I hate getting beat up on shit that I sell, but I'm selling it because I don't need it. Hey dude, wander around and see how many of these things are re-popped and figure if the original that you're selling is rusty, dirty, and broken just like the one the I pulled off my car why the hell would I buy it or anyone else for that matter. Either take the time to restore the piece and then expect top dollar or sell it like the piece of junk that it is. Or just keep throwing it out on the grass and then back in the trailer, whatever, but quit bitching about how bad things are or how cheap buyers are. I've got so much money tied up in my Charger it hurts to think about it and then I have to make someone rich because they have a bumper jack!?!?! (I feel better now that I got that off my chest)

Did have a good time talking with all the people, seeing the cars that inspire, and the smell of race gas and burnt rubber never gets old. Wonder if they make one of those scented candles in that smell, I'm telling my daughters that's what I want for Christmas.....

4cruzin

Yep . . it was definitely HOT!      Still had a good time checking out all the cars!  By the time the show was done, I was to exhausted to go to the cruise and just went back to the hotel to cool off and sleep for the next day.   :yesnod:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

BrianShaughnessy

Hot and sweaty.   Working a show kinda blows.  Don't really get to see much of anything except for passing glances. 
I got to walk around for 1/2 hour Friday... got the golf cart for 1 hour on Sat. and Rick and I disappeared for a couple hours on Sunday only to get stuck doing all the work
cause everybody else abadoned ship at 11am  :eyes:

Got to meet flyinlow and Professor Patrick  :cheers:    And of course I got to talk to Frank and Troy a couple times. 

Best part of my weekend was going to the Centerfold Club for a little while Thurs and Fri nights.   Checked out Ray Bartons shop on Wed... and playing with a BMW X5 with the 5.9 Limited GC on 78 going home. 

Oh... and I dragged home several cases of Vernors that I found at the Kroger by the hotel  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

Quote from: MRCHARGER on August 16, 2010, 08:07:23 AM
I was thinking last night; where do they put the concourse cars and how do you keep them from getting blown out with dirt.
The judged cars are on the other side of the track where it isn't nearly as dusty. The bigger side (where the swap meet is) can be a giant dust bowl and I refuse to take a car there if I have to park on that side. Last year it was only in the mid 80s and it had rained for about 2 weeks so the grass was still green and there was very little dust.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

It was fantastic!!!!!

Yes it was hot and dusty but I see enough trailer queens in a year that this is still my favorite venue to come and see people actually driving their cars and enjoying them.  Its warts are part of its charm if you go in with the right attitude towards what you are doing there.  It's a party event with a drag race picnic on the side. It's loud and greasy and sitting on the grass.  It isn't an F1 event with air conditioned press boxes and hired models.

DixieRestoParts

I agree with many of the comments above. I think there is a lot of room for improvement and encourage you all to tell the Nats folks directly. Thanks to all the members that came by and purchased from us, it was nice meeting you all in person.

From my perspective as a vendor, it could have been a much better show. Our sales were down alot. I'm sure the weather didn't help there. We don't mark stuff up 50-60% or more just to tell folks we have a "show special" and give them 20% off. As a small family run business we run pretty thin margins to be competitive. When we roll into the Nats with 12 spaces at $95 each, our overhead is pretty strong. We've spent months getting merchandise ordered, labeled, displays ready and of course a nice 10 hr. drive pulling a trailer. Hotel rooms and food for a week add up fast. Since I do this in addition to my "day" job (like some other vendors), I take vacation time to come to the show. Standing in the heat all day with people thinking you can sell everything for half price just adds to the joy. LOL.

This year, on the way home from the Nats, my transmission went out in Norwood, OH. So, I'm sitting in a hotel waiting for it to be rebuilt to the tune of approximately $2400. More vacation time I have to take off from work, and the kids will miss more school - which they are happy about. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be outta here Tuesday. So, this year the Nats were not a good or profitable experience for me. But, I love these old cars, and love helping people with theirs. So, I guess I'll keep doing this awhile.

If you saw the Green RR in our space on Sat, the owner drove it from Atlanta to the Nats and is it an extremely nice car. I have to hand it to him driving in that heat with no AC.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Ghoste

That bites.  I hope you get home safely, quickly and affordably from this point.  As an aside, I did note your prices to be better than many but if you walked around the swap meet at all I'm sure you notice lots of folks who have "Nats Pricing" in effect for the weekend.  There are both styles of vendors there so people have to do their homework and know when they are getting hosed but also when they are being treated fairly.

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Ghoste on August 16, 2010, 10:07:09 AM
That bites.  I hope you get home safely, quickly and affordably from this point.  As an aside, I did note your prices to be better than many but if you walked around the swap meet at all I'm sure you notice lots of folks who have "Nats Pricing" in effect forthe weekend.  There are both styles of vendors there so people have to do there homework and know when they are getting hosed but also when they are being treated fairly.

Thanks !

I agree completely, you have to do your homework.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

66FBCharger

I enjoyed the Nats. It was brutally hot.
I found some great stuff for my 69 Charger. I picked up a few things up for the wife's 'Cuda and some t shirts and some matchbox cars for the kids.
Our hotel on Brice road was 1/2 empty. They said they had a lot of cancellations. They blamed the economy. I think that is part of it . All the hotels in Heath were full. I am sure the action at Heath is the reason everyone is staying there now.
Heath had some action Friday night, but nothing as compared to the last several years. Saturday night the Ohio State police came in and cracked down ticketed and basically shut the night down. So, Saturday nights cruise was pretty lame!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

gschmidt211

When it comes to fun at the Nats, you can't depend on the organizers to provide the fun.  It is completely up to you.  We had a blast regardless of the power tripping joke of a staff they have on the grounds. 

It is utter chaos inside of the gates.  And don't even think about pointing out some type of hypocrisy on the part of any of the organizers or they will tear up your ticket and kick you out.  Or at least that is the default threat if you question anyones authority.

Meeting the people that attend the show and bring their cars from all over is always a great time.

Brice is pretty much dead and Heath is great now that the community and their elected officials have embraced the cars and the people of the show.  I would like to thank the town of Heath and the people there for their generosity of letting us enjoy their town.

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

TUFCAT

gschmidt211 just nailed it! ~ :2thumbs:

RESTO68

I went and had the usual good time looking at all the parts and nice cars. This made probably 20 times going for me due it's only a couple hour drive. Like it or not with all the chaos if you like Mopars it can be a fun time at least I think so. Yes it can suck with the heat and dirt and all the people but I still enjoy it. I do wish they would do something about so many golf carts and just about anything else that with a motor running up and down the swap meet isles. How nobody gets ran over is amazing to me. I am always amazed at some of the venders prices. Some stuff I priced several years ago they still have only now it's more beat up and they want as much or more. I saw the same part from $50 to $250 in the same condition. Shop around and totally avoid the guys you see listed in the magazines. They have the goods but you will pay for it. They like to think they have the only one left in the world and it's made of gold. I bought lots good parts very reasonable but I had to look hard and do a lot of digging but that's mostly why I go.   

Ghoste

The only downside to me was only getting to spend about 20 minutes with Magnum471 this year.  He's become a good and trusted compadre over the years and the only time I really get to hang out with him is at the Nats and this year circumstances intervened to cut it short.

(next year buddy :icon_smile_wink:)

DC_1

I went, it was ok, I haven't been in 3 years and this time was not as good as I remember previous years but I think like everything else in our society maybe the bubble is bursting. Nothing is what it was - this hobby included. When everyone is making money and people can afford these cars and the cost to restoring them or even make a respectable "driver" then its good times. When we start to price things out of reach those who truly enjoy these cars and all the entertainment value they have to offer many revert to something else they can afford. Our numbers dwindle and so does the attendance at these show. I am sure there are many who have projects or even finished cars who just thought why bother going. Just my 2 cents.

For those interested here are some pics I took.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/110713923722814244219/MoparNats2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3T1_L2iqSfiQE&feat=directlink

charge69

Hey Sydmoe,   Great pics of the event!  Actually made me want to go but, my car is still being finished.  The pic around 78 or 79 of the Copper Hemi Daytona made me think.  I have a set of NOS Hemi hubcaps and still think about putting them on the Charger. It came with them from the factory as that one did , I am sure , and they are still in the running for some wider-than-stock wheels with NOS hubcaps on it. I atill have all 5 original  Hemi 15" wheels too.

How did it look with the hubcaps vs. all the aftermarket wheels? By the way, I am still considering Cragars for it.