News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

edelbrock heads 84cc vs 88cc

Started by 73charger440, September 24, 2010, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73charger440

my dad has a set of edelbrock heads 84cc that he is saling and i was thinking about buying them ,but i was wondering what the big preformance difference between the 84cc and the 88cc

1Bad70Charger

Message Deleted, the experts below here will hook you up with the info you need!  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

flyinlow

Both will perform well with the correct pistons. 84cc are closed camber, work well with flat top pistons that are close to even with the top of the block at TDC.
88cc are open camber,work best with pop up pistons.
I used the 84cc's on my 440 . SRP flat top pistons about .002 " in the hole with felpro gaskets( .040") that give a piston to head clearence of about .042" ,which is in the desired range for good quench. About 10.5 CR. Does not knock on premiun pump gas.

Maybe Ron or someone will explain it better.

73charger440

i thought the cc stood for cumbustion chamber nd that bigger the better ,im useing this rebuild kit    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-CSMHP815-622/
with a 513 533 cam ,witch would be the best head for this build

flyinlow

CC's stands for cubic centimeters of liquid that the inverted head can hold with the valves shut. Less cc's will give a higher compression ratio all things being equal.
Do you need to go .060 over? This will give you 452 cu.in. But thin cyclinder walls. I would have block checked first.

Ask the cam guru's about your cam .   Iwould think you might want more compression then 9.3 , with aluminum heads and that cam. You did not say what duration specs your cam had. I made some assumtions from the lift figures.

73charger440

i had the block sonic checked and it  can be safely bored 60,and the cam is .513"/533" lunati voodoo cam i havent bought the cam yet our the rebuild kit yet  i was going to buy with my taxes  :drool5: :icon_smile_big:

BSB67

Is that a .135 on #6 cylinder?  I would not over bore that block any more than you have too.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

73charger440

the tickness is after the block was bored 60 over ,i was worried about over heating problems so i had it checked after i had the machine work done