News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

and i don't know what to do....

Started by sixty8charger, August 14, 2010, 10:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty8charger

ok, so i will explain...  The charger, been in the family since roughly 91. I have had it around me since roughly 1997? and it has been sitting in the garage from 99 until a couple of weeks ago when i had it shipped from WA to NC. Originally it was going to be my Granddads project, then i had an interest in it when i was real young (talking like 10 years old!) so then it was going to become Granddad/Grandson project. well, I enlisted in the Corps in 03, and he passed away in 04.
it is now 2010. Basically been untouched, and i am going through Charger Driving withdrawal.

I am contemplating what i should do next...
My savings continues to grow (ever so slowly), however i do not have enough to begin the slight body work (est. probably around $5k) to strip it and patch some rust spots, and paint back to black(maybe with a slight metallic flake).
However i do have enough to get necessary new components to get it driving.. right now!

so what do i do... i am very indecisive.
Should i just drive it, and slowly save.. then do the body work, put the engine in, and then interior.. or just leave it alone, and continue to save.. and don't drive it until i get the work needed, completed?

Jayson
Jayson

sixty8charger

more pics
Jayson

71ChallengeHer

Get it drivable and keep saving.  :2thumbs: 

sixty8charger

old engine.. and new engine
Jayson

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

sixty8charger

so get it drivable.. enjoy it, and save for the rest of the work?
Jayson

RD

oh yes!  the more  you drive it, the more you will fall in love with it again, the more motivated you will be to save your pennies and get her done the way you want her!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mauve66

i agree to a point (mines been in the garage for 15 of the past 17 years), but my biggest fear is not wanting to stop driving it to take it all apart again to do it right.  the 3 times i've taken it apart were due to bad starters and figuring "what the he**, now is as good time as any................."
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

twodko

Big time what she said! Semper Fi and good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jaak

I also vote, that if you have the funds to get it going......do so and save for the rest. That way you can enjoy it. I know from experience I have a project (that I have worked on off and on for 10 years) and I driver (that I continue to improve while I drive), and I enjoy the driver alot more.

Jason

DAY CLONA

Jayson,...unless you have the funds and parts, skill or funds to purchase the skill to complete the car on a TIMELY basis,..(1 year) then don't attempt a "resto" or even "a fix-up", as it always mushrooms regardless of your plans,...lack of funds will stall it even further,....take care of the driveline, safety problems, get the car up and running, repair and replace any bugs that come up,...become familiar with the car and it qwerks, learn what it needs in the way of repairs,....drive it and enjoy it!,...save your money, and collect the parts you need to "restore" the car to the glory you want it in later,.....remember whatever  time and money you think it will cost/take to do the job,...double it!

the 2 items that kill/stall a project,....lack of funds, which turns into a lack of "steam" on your behalf, which results in a car that sits for years, then eventually leaves the garage in boxes,...don't fall into this trap

Mike

drifter69

Drive it! The only way to get it back after you start a resto is with $, weather you do it or someone else. Save your money so you can get back in it faster. :Twocents:

b5blue

Good advise, I NEVER dismantle more than one system at a time to limit misplacing or outright loosing parts and how they reassemble. If your doing motor, stay on it till it's all back together, maybe not in, but done. Photograph everything before, during and after. When you get parts get just what you need and check them right away, install them right away, many have lost money buy "stock piling" parts only to find a problem with something they got 2 years ago. Repair the brakes before you drive it, unused brake systems can fall apart from rusty parts and leaky seals in a second. Tag and bag anything and everything (even rusty striped out screws, clips, nuts and bolts as you remove them) Check and clean all grounds and things like the bulkhead connectors. Did I mention not to drive it until you have thoroughly checked and tested the brakes! Have fun I have been patching, repairing and driving mine for 15 years and it still looks like hammered crap!

sixty8charger

:cheers:
I thank you all for your input!

Looks like i got an engine to install next week!
and some brakes to inspect  :2thumbs:
i will keep you all posted on the progress of course!

well, i guess i can start making some money to get it up and running..

anyone need a 440? that 75 block that is in the bay right now? runs! needs a rebuild.
Motor comes with the -452 heads on it. $?

Also have for sale:
a set of 906 heads (need a rebuild) $?
69 intake $?
distributors (need rebuilt) $?
Edelbrock 750 elec choke carb (never used!) $300 still in the box.
Jayson

Brock Samson

i'd agree get the basic mechanics togeather and the charger roadworthy once that's done and she's running well, you can save up for the cosmetics and eventually take it all apart to strip, weld, paint, rewire, re upholster send the guage cluster out, rechrome,..  :scratchchin: better just drive the snot out of it while you can!  :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

Quote from: mauve66 on August 14, 2010, 11:25:16 AM
i agree to a point (mines been in the garage for 15 of the past 17 years), but my biggest fear is not wanting to stop driving it to take it all apart again to do it right.  the 3 times i've taken it apart were due to bad starters and figuring "what the he**, now is as good time as any................."

x2 on that one. Besides all the new parts won't be new again once you drive it for a while and you'll have to pull off all the new/restored parts off of it whenever you're ready to fix it right
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

HOTROD

First off get some subframe connectors and fix the body flux and the cracks !!
next get that top off because it will just keep on rusting and then go from there -I am still driving my first car and it needs paint & body work !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

sixty8charger

where is a good place to get the subframe connectors?...

for the cracks and what not, is it safe to seal it with the POR-15?

same as the top, strip it, sand it, POR it?
Jayson

The70RT

I'm sure when the top comes off there will be some holes. You will have to fix them or temporarily fix them. If you don't do it right you can just fill them and shoot some primer over it. Mine had bubbling like that on the top back edge and when I took it off it was a mess with more holes on the bottom corners as well  :P
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sixty8charger

:icon_smile_blackeye:  thats what i am worried about....

looking from the interior, and poking around with a metal probe.. i havn't poked through, nor do i see any real soft spots...
i hope it aint too bad under there.
Jayson

bull

From my perspective this is a no-brainer. Get it running and enjoy it while you save your pennies. Maybe you'll get it restored soon, maybe not. Who cares? If you like driving it and don't care about the show car BS then the decision is easy.

sixty8charger

Jayson

NHCharger

Besides getting it drivable I would peel off the top and inspect the rust sooner than later. For a temp fix you can grind the rust out, fill it in and paint it. My local parts store Sanel's Auto sells those co2 powered paint kits, perfect for doing your roof. I painted and clear coated half of my old Stealth with a couple of them :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

HOTROD

Quote from: sixty8charger on August 14, 2010, 03:49:42 PM
where is a good place to get the subframe connectors?...

for the cracks and what not, is it safe to seal it with the POR-15?

same as the top, strip it, sand it, POR it?

Subframe conn- everybody uses some thing deferent got mine from Summit but next time I might use US cartool ones-and I do not use POR !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

sixty8charger

US Cartool/Auto Rust.. got it, i will get some of those connectors.

why the negativity towards POR?
Jayson

b5blue

You will not be able to paint over it. Many have had problems with it not sticking. There are lots of other options. (I have never used it) Use the "search" feature here for details. (And a lot of other questions you may have, it is a very large data base here)   :2thumbs:

Darkman

If you get it driveable and enjoy it, then sand down and remove the worst rust spots (even if you do a temporary fix and fill the holes using bondo) and seal it from rusting further. Body work is more expensive than mechanical work and will continue to rot the car. It wont make any difference if you have "primer" patches on you car at least you are driving it and it is not rotting further!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

sixty8charger

Looks like I will start that primer patch job this week. thanks for everyones input on this!
Jayson