News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2010/11 Challengers

Started by 68X426, August 14, 2010, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

I about fell over when the wife said "lets go look at a Plum Crazy Challenger". I looked for the following at the official Dodge site, as well as at the Cuda-Challenger forum, and didn't really see answers. So .....

What's the difference between the RT Classic and the SRT8?

• It appears they can be built identically.
  • Only thing I could see was the SRT8 had more bells and whistles in sound system, phones, etc., and bigger wheels.

What's the real world difference between the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi? (I'm stuck in the 60s :lol: )

Opinions? Thanks guys.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

sixty8charger

for 2011:
6.1 425 HP/420TQ
5.7 372 HP/400TQ

and from ALLPAR :2thumbs:

What makes the SRT version different?

The SRT engine includes numerous modifications from the standard Hemi, such as:
The basic, deep-skirted engine block structure was redesigned with reinforced bulkheads to handle higher loads.
Larger cylinder bores, 3.5 millimeters larger; cylinders are honed with torque plates to ensure a truer bore.
Oil squirters, aimed at the underside of each piston, aid piston cooling for engine durability. A special oil pump pressure relief valve is added to accommodate the squirter oil flow.
The oil pan and windage tray are modified to manage oil return to the pan sump at high engine speeds and improve power.
Larger-diameter, flat-top pistons with high-load capability are specified to handle the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI's compression ratio, which was increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1. Connecting rods are redesigned and make use of higher-strength powder metal material. New floating piston pins are introduced to handle higher loads.
The SRT 6.1-liter HEMI's crankshaft is forged from micro-alloy steel and rotates in tri-metal main bearings for high-load capability. The crankshaft damper is retuned for higher engine speeds.
The SRT 6.1-liter HEMI features cylinder head ports designed with larger cross-sectional area. This allows 11 percent higher flow in the intake ports, and 13 percent higher flow in the exhaust ports.
A billet steel, high-strength camshaft features more overlap and lift for better performance.
Intake valves feature hollow stems and 2 mm larger heads compared to the 5.7L engine, allowing more air flow. The hollow exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to dissipate heat efficiently. Premium valve springs with external dampers enhance the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI's valvetrain and enable higher engine speed operation to 6,400 rpm and allow the peak output engine speed to increase to 6,000 rpm from 5,000 rpm.
Engine breathing is improved with specially designed intake and exhaust manifolds.
The cast aluminum intake manifold is designed with shorter, larger-diameter and tapered runners for high-speed tuning. Internal runners are core-dipped to smooth the runner finish and improve air flow.
Fuel injector flow capacity is also increased by 14 percent over the 5.7-liter engine. Electronic throttle control is shared with the 5.7-liter HEMI, but breathes through a revised high-flow air cleaner box outfitted with a tuned resonator delivering a deep performance sound character (and good for an extra eight horsepower).
Exhaust headers on the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI are individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell. Exhaust runners allow increased gas flow while maintaining fast catalyst light-off, while adding 12 horsepower over the 5.7-liter engine's cast manifolds.
To control the combustion process, SRT engineers fine-tuned the engine management system using dual knock sensors with premium fuel.
Jayson

b5blue

I love it when they talk "dirty"! That beast is SWEET!  :yesnod:

mauve66

Quote from: 68X426 on August 14, 2010, 01:30:12 AM
I about fell over when the wife said "lets go look at a Plum Crazy Challenger". I looked for the following at the official Dodge site, as well as at the Cuda-Challenger forum, and didn't really see answers. So .....

What's the difference between the RT Classic and the SRT8?

• It appears they can be built identically.
  • Only thing I could see was the SRT8 had more bells and whistles in sound system, phones, etc., and bigger wheels.

What's the real world difference between the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi? (I'm stuck in the 60s :lol: )

Opinions? Thanks guys.

does that mean you HAVE to have the sound system, navigation, leather seats, etc just to get the srt8 with the bigger motor??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

68X426

Thanks for the info from Allpar, I forgot about them.

Quote from: mauve66 on August 14, 2010, 08:23:00 AM
does that mean you HAVE to have the sound system, navigation, leather seats, etc just to get the srt8 with the bigger motor??

It seems that way from their webite. It's called UConnect. It has everything: multimedia, navigation, phone, web, wifi, games, downloading, all voice commands.

From what I can see the 6.1 is only available on the SRT8, prices starting at $43k, which, with a couple options and tax, means $52k in California. And you apparently have to get all of the UConnect and all with the voice commands.

I already hear enough voices, don't need another one.  ::)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ponch ®

SRT = 6.1L (420 hp), No MDS (the feature that shuts down four cylinders when cruising), better/harder/lower suspension.

Check out challengertalk.com . It's all about the new Challengers and a bunch of nice guys that'll answer any of your questions.

BTW, I dont think the Uconnect / MYGIG unit are a standard option on SRTs. I've seen SRTs with a standard radio.  Hey, if you get one that comes with it, I'll trade you for my standard Am/fm/CD/Sirius radio. Straight up. :P
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

thedodgeboys

I have an Srt challenger and love it  :coolgleamA:
However you need to decide how you want to drive one intended use.
I use mine as a daily driver and should have gotten the classic instead :o
Almost everything is better on the srt translation greater cost for mantiance over the classic
:Twocents:

charger Downunder

Quote from: 68X426 on August 14, 2010, 01:30:12 AM
I about fell over when the wife said "lets go look at a Plum Crazy Challenger".

Mate you have a good wife. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

[/quote]

Ponch ®

Oh, and the Challenger Classic is basically an R/T with an appearance package (B5, wheels, stripes, and IIRC, a different shifter)

R/T = 5.7 HEMI - 370hp, MDS (unless it's a manual).
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West