News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone own a belt-drive garage door opener?

Started by bull, August 11, 2010, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm going to have to replace my opener and I've been seeing these belt drive units now that are advertised as being very quiet. I want something QUIET because I've had two screw-drive POS openers before and both sounded like a bent axle freight train. Let's just say I was happy the thing took a dump. But are these belt drive things any good? I have to wonder if when your belt breaks they don't charge you about what the unit is worth to replace it.

elacruze

We had a Sears 1/2 horse belt drive for years, with a heavy one-piece door on it...still going strong when we sold the house. It was not silent, but not obnoxious...still has a screw and trolley though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Hmmm. I might just get a chain drive unit. My mother-in-law has a chain drive that's probably 20+ years old. Quiet as a mouse and works like a champ probably 8-10 times a week no problem. I'd be willing to bet that thing hasn't had one bit of maintentance do it in that 20 years either.

Silver R/T

Mine are belt drive and they're pretty quiet. I think they have rating on how quiet they are, depending on model. Would have to research them before buying one. Have to make sure rollers are lubed up real well cause they make the most noise not the actual motor.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauve66

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 12, 2010, 07:03:26 PM
Mine are belt drive and they're pretty quiet. I think they have rating on how quiet they are, depending on model. Would have to research them before buying one. Have to make sure rollers are lubed up real well cause they make the most noise not the actual motor.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 12, 2010, 07:03:26 PM
Have to make sure rollers are lubed up real well cause they make the most noise not the actual motor.

It wasn't the rollers on my old one. It was a loud, obnoxious buzzing coming from the motor assy. I kind of wonder now if the thing was defective when new because it was always louder than hell.

hemi68charger

I have one, Liftmaster 3850, and it's great.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection