News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 transmission help

Started by mikes4692003, August 06, 2010, 03:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes4692003

transmission when cold barly feel it go in  reverse but when it warms up it shifts hard, go's in all other gears just fine  in a 69 charger what could be the problem,fluid and filter clean

flyinlow

Converter bleed down. The converter is not full after sitting for awhile. The converter does not refill in park on a stock TF. When you go to back up the converter starts to refill as soon as you put it in reverse ,but initially the converter is slipping more than normally. After you warm the car up the converter is full again and when you put it in reverse it clunks in . If you want it to clunk in cold, Start the car and shift to neutral . Let it  run for a minute then shift to reverse. This will let the converter refill. It should clunk in. 

What you have is "normal" for an older TF. You can drive it that way along time.   :Twocents:

TylerCharger69

Mine does the same thing......Ive found that letting the car warm in neutral helps the reverse gear engage better when cold.....Im sure some one here (John Kunkel) will have the answers and the remedy.  I'm curious myself. :2thumbs:

RD

Quote from: mikes4692003 on August 06, 2010, 03:38:51 PM
transmission when cold barely feel it go in  reverse but when it warms up it shifts hard, go's in all other gears just fine  in a 69 charger what could be the problem,fluid and filter clean

what flyinlow stated PLUS the fact colder fluid does not flow as easily as normal operating temp fluid and may take more time to get through a system to build up the necessary pressure in your reverse servo to "promptly" engage your reverse gear.  warmer fluid travels quicker and will fill your reverse servo piston chamber to allow for a quicker engagement of your reverse gear. 

in this case, the normal operating temperature of your fluid allows for a more efficient operation of your transmission.  that is, of course, if you characterize your snappy shifts as desired :D

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

The OP stated that "go's in all other gears just fine " when cold, if converter drainback was the problem it would be lazy in forward gears too.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: mikes4692003 on August 06, 2010, 03:38:51 PM
transmission when cold barly feel it go in  reverse but when it warms up it shifts hard, go's in all other gears just fine  in a 69 charger what could be the problem,fluid and filter clean

so, after JK's post, i believe we need some clarification.  does your transmission go into all forward gears "when cold" just fine, or was your statement said to state that it goes into forward gears just fine "when warm" because the way in which you worded it could lead one to misunderstand what you meant.... as shown between some of the members who have posted.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

flyinlow

John Makes a good point.

I always start by engaging reverse to back out of my garage and uphill slightly for 40 feet to the turn around ,so any slugishness shows up here. I made the assumption that most Chargers start the day by backing  up first.

Question for John: If the converter bleeds down to the pump neck level , how fast does the trans pump refill the converter?

Ghoste

I can tell you that in the case of my car, it tends to take somewhere less than a minute and more than 10 seconds. (ambient temperature seems to have some effect)

John_Kunkel

In a healthy trans it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to refill the converter in Neutral.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Mine is far from unhealthy and it's always taken a little longer than just a few seconds.  Unless it's been run regularly, then it seems instant but if the car has been sitting for two or three weeks it needs a little more time before heading out.

mikes4692003

mine goes in foward gears just fine weather hot or cold

Bob

I took RD's advice awhile back and start my car in park, after starting place in neutral and then select reverse. Works great.