News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's Your Feelings on these Wiretapps?...

Started by Brock Samson, December 20, 2005, 08:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 22, 2005, 06:20:42 PM
Looks like the Patriot Act has some breath left........

Troy
Yep, hopefully they can make enough adjustments to appease the whiners & keep it breathing.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

73dodge

I like how this is blown all out of proportions but not a word being said that this protocol was implimented by that wonderful statesman Jimmy Carter. No one in the LIBERAL media gave a damn then.

Also I like how they report this is a the President is SPYING on Americans. But these "Americans" are tied to terrorists groups. Funny how they don't say that he was spying on suspected terrorists.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 73dodge on December 22, 2005, 10:16:27 PM
I like how this is blown all out of proportions but not a word being said that this protocol was implimented by that wonderful statesman Jimmy Carter. No one in the LIBERAL media gave a damn then.

Also I like how they report this is a the President is SPYING on Americans. But these "Americans" are tied to terrorists groups. Funny how they don't say that he was spying on suspected terrorists.

Yeap,, when was the last time you heard Grandma getting spied on?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ChargerBill

It's all slanted, spun, twisted, misrepresented, exaggerated, and obfuscated by the media...why anyone even pays attention is a mystery to me. :shruggy:
Life is a highway...

TK73

Bill, would you please let off on the "liberal media" bullshit?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

ChargerBill

Life is a highway...

bull

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2005, 03:14:15 PM
Before you give me the whole "the Patriot Act prevents terrorism" song and dance, remember one thing.

Here's your song and dance, OC:

tomonty

QuoteBefore you give me the whole "the Patriot Act prevents terrorism" song and dance, remember one thing.

Before 9/11, the FBI was aware that there would be a terrorist attack and they knew HOW it was gonna happen.

This was before the patriot act occured.

We had plenty of intelligence telling us Pearl Harbor was going to happen as well, but no one did anything about it. I don't think any one law can prevent a highly motivated individual or group set on wreaking havoc and destruction. And that is one thing a lot of Americans are forgetting; these Islamic Extremists are highly motivated about killing Americans and our way of life. The biggest similarity between 9/11 and Pearl Harbor is that both happened at a time in American history where we had relative peace and we got complacent. We cannot afford to get complacent now because we are not fighting a conventional enemy like the Japanese. We are fighting a way of life for a large group of people. In Iran they have people signing up to be suicide bombers left and right. They think they will go to heaven if they wipe out the 'infidels'.  I am all for the Patriot Act..in the years since it was first passed into law, I have never once felt like my freedoms were threatened, and if it does anything at all to prevent these people from attacking us, then wiretap away.  Is it scary to think about how our freedoms might be diminished a little bit? Dang right it is. But watching an American get his head cut off on the internet is way more scary to me. Shows that these people will stop at nothing and that they hate our freedoms and will kill us all if they have the chance...just my :Twocents:

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Old Moparz

I'm not going off the topic too far, but I don't think the term "Liberal Media" holds too much water anymore. Most of the companies that own & run newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, & magazine publishers, are all part of larger companies, (& there are only a few of them by the way) that have their hands into controlling what is said & done. On top of that, they lobby & buy most politicians of both the Republican & Democratic parties. There is such a blur of both parties now, that donkeys have trunks & elephants kick & eat carrots. I don't follow or believe anyone on either side in office, it's 99% self serving with almost no reason to do anything except line up a future job contact, & get health care & retirement benefits for life.

It's still the only country I'd want to live in, but watch & question everyone, not just one side.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

my73charger

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 22, 2005, 01:00:03 AM
Actually, enough nukes and all that sand would turn to glass...it woulde be a pretty and sparkly parking lot.

Seriously though, all this anti-war and anti-Bush obfuscation is fine and dandy, but it isn't going to get the job done now is it? War isn't pretty, isn't simple and isn't a bed of roses. We ARE at war with terrorists and we need these capabilities (and IMO more) to keep track of them and hinder any future attacks. The liberal media is a bunch of pansy turncoats, and anyone who buys into their BS is just sticking their head in the sand and fooling ONLY themselves.

Amen!

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 23, 2005, 10:53:43 AM
I'm not going off the topic too far, but I don't think the term "Liberal Media" holds too much water anymore. Most of the companies that own & run newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, & magazine publishers, are all part of larger companies, (& there are only a few of them by the way) that have their hands into controlling what is said & done. On top of that, they lobby & buy most politicians of both the Republican & Democratic parties. There is such a blur of both parties now, that donkeys have trunks & elephants kick & eat carrots. I don't follow or believe anyone on either side in office, it's 99% self serving with almost no reason to do anything except line up a future job contact, & get health care & retirement benefits for life.

It's still the only country I'd want to live in, but watch & question everyone, not just one side.

I don't think there's a liberal conspiracy in the media but I know from working in journalism that most people who work in that field are much more politically liberal than half the US population at least. Liberals are drawn to that field because they are usually the creative, performance, artsy types. I also think most of them do try to hold back and remain unbiased on the issues but quite often their true colors can't help but expose themselves when it comes to emotionally-driven subjects. Generally, the corporate big wigs will stay out of the day-to-day decision-making when it comes to what stories to run and how to approach them. As long as there's a profit they don't much care how the news is told.

my73charger

Theres probably a lot truth to that...You artsie fartsie liberals!   :icon_smile_big:

General_01

Personally, I don't think people have a problem with wiretaps. I think where the problem comes in is that a judge did not hear the evidence and issue the warrants. That is what "checks and balances" means. Bush wants to be able to act expediantly. I understand that. Maybe they should schedule to meet with the judge twice a week or something instead of every 45 days. Instead, the administration undermines the system and the President OK's the wiretaps. I think this is what people have a problem with. I have a problem with that part of the situation, not that they are wiretapping suspected terrorists.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargerBill on December 23, 2005, 01:00:45 AM
It's all slanted, spun, twisted, misrepresented, exaggerated, and obfuscated by the media...why anyone even pays attention is a mystery to me. :shruggy:

The media IS sort of slanted.. I'm afraid that's the cold truth... I wouldn't equate it too much to liberalism, but to viewing statistics.... When was the last time you heard from the media a child getting saved by a US hospital over there or a school being built.. The only thing you hear and see is very violent and visually stimulating explosions and death. The later coverage sells, the fomer doesn't... I for one can say something, I've seen it. I've been to Iraq and heard tales from locals and have talked to service members who ARE THERE.. My step-brother is on his second tour..... 

On the subject at hand, I don't persay think it's the "liberal media" as some would say causing all the uproar, it's the Democrats (Yes, I know there are a couple of Republicans as well). I've heard all the stories, they are just trying to make sure American civil liberties aren't being compromised.. Well, this Act has only been around and on paper for MANY years... Again, why now all of a sudden are there problems?

Yours truely,,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

CFMopar

Quote from: Big Lebowski on December 20, 2005, 09:46:19 PM
As a kinda Libertarian myself, this may shock you, but I say hunt them down now while we still can, before a NUKE goes off in your city. I think if you're not an Islamic Fascist with a Nuclear bomb, then you have nothing to worry about.

A libertarian ? Your the last person I would've considered that....

Anyways
No one wire taps chuck norris. The last person who tried lost his head from a round house kick :nono:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on December 23, 2005, 07:12:34 PM
Anyways
No one wire taps chuck norris. The last person who tried lost his head from a round house kick :nono:
I'm thinkin' you need a Chuck quote in your sig. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

CFMopar

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Big Lebowski

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on December 23, 2005, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: Big Lebowski on December 20, 2005, 09:46:19 PM
As a kinda Libertarian myself, this may shock you, but I say hunt them down now while we still can, before a NUKE goes off in your city. I think if you're not an Islamic Fascist with a Nuclear bomb, then you have nothing to worry about.

A libertarian ? Your the last person I would've considered that....

Anyways

Ya 9/11 put me into the "Lets Win the war catagory" Sen. Ted "hic-cup" the swimmer Kennedy disagrees. Thank God he's not in charge.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

TK73

I really don't know anything about this, can you explain the Carter connection?

According to this article the issue date to the Reagan administration:

"Alito memo backed wiretap immunity for officials

By Donna Cassata

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON â€" Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito defended the right of government officials to order domestic wiretaps when he worked for the Reagan Justice Department, documents released today show."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002700966_webalito23.html

TK73

73dodge

Quote from: TK73 on December 23, 2005, 09:45:31 PM

I really don't know anything about this, can you explain the Carter connection?

According to this article the issue date to the Reagan administration:

"Alito memo backed wiretap immunity for officials

By Donna Cassata

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON â€" Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito defended the right of government officials to order domestic wiretaps when he worked for the Reagan Justice Department, documents released today show."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002700966_webalito23.html

The FISA act was implimented in 1978 the Carter Administration.

Just about every president since then has used the domestic survelance provision in this act.

Because Bush is a Republican means suddenly it's an illegal act and he is doing something against the law.

Reagan used it
Bush I used it
Clinton used 

Now it's illegal................

Hmmmm go figure

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fisa/

the link notice when it was first enacted
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

73dodge

here the report for congress in 1979 right after this was enacted

The Vice President
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Mr. Vice President:

This report is submitted pursuant to Section 107 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, Title 50, United States Code Section 1807.

During calendar year 1979, 199 applications were made for orders and extensions of orders approving electronic surveillance under the Act. The United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court issued 207 orders granting authority for the requested electronic surveillances. No orders were entered which modified or denied the requested authority.

Respectfully submitted,

Benjamin R. Civiletti
            Attorney General

So Carter was the first to use this

73-charger-383

I think the point is kinda being missed.  --correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the "scandel" that Bush didn't go to the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for the "right" to eavesdrop?  I'm all for the wiretaps if they are on suspected terrioists, but it's up to the court to decide ...isn't it?
  --Like i said, correct me if i'm wrong......but if Bush had went through the proper channels (like Carter, Clinton, and Bush I), there wouldn't be anything "unlawful" about it. - I think the debate is if the president has the power to bypass the Surveilance Court.

General_01

I agree with you 73. That is what the issue is about, not that wiretapping is going on. I think some people are missing this point.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

purple70rt