News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just saw the Green Mile Movie...

Started by Brock Samson, August 06, 2010, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

...It seemed like it was gonna be sooo good... then,..   :P  Is it because S. King gets a free pass in Hollywood and doesn't have to consult with an editor?.. now, I'm sure i'm like the last person on the entire Planet to see this movie,.. It held such promise - then at about the two hour mark went straight into the toilet. Went on another hour and eight minutes!..  :eek2: the production values were great, acting pretty damn good, script very good, cinematography was pretty inventive, especially the rooms dissolving into a later time - while the camera was on the move! I thought that was an especially cool trick. the opening scene with the chain gangs was awesome, though nothing like it was nearly as impressive for the next five reels...
You know like when folks say "that's another three hours and eight minutes I'll never get back"?.   :icon_smile_angry:
Thoughts opinions?..  :shruggy:

moparstuart

I loved the movie  thought it was great ,  I also love shaw shank the other stephen king prison movie.   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dans 68

In what scene did you start to look at your watch? I thought it was a typical Steven King ending, with a little twist always thrown in. Remember the movie "it" ? Major letdown.  :lol:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Samson

I'm now done reading the reviews from the time of the movies release,.. and that movie was highly praised by one and all... a lot of people were in tears throughout apparently...  :shruggy: but, by the time they were sneaking Coffey "not spelled like the drink"..  Man!  repeating that line six times was alone responsible for an extra ten minutes...  :rotz:
to visit the wardens' wife, I was finding myself getting antsy for them to just wrap things up... but, as Mr. King would have it, we got another five story lines to flesh out.. it felt really lumpy from then on... and I lost any sense of involvement,..
With an editor on board that could have been one truly Awesome and Awe inspiring experience.. but instead i was simply bored and annoyed with it.

Dans 68

Well, I thought the editing was just fine. I did not sense, by any criteria, problems with the editing. Now, while I shed no tears during the movie I very much enjoyed the characters. Maybe the joker in the deck is you....  :D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: i know that's why i started the thread!  :shruggy:

tan top

Quote from: moparstuart on August 06, 2010, 03:15:46 PM
I loved the movie  thought it was great ,  I also love shaw shank the other stephen king prison movie.   

yeah both good films  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mikepmcs

I'll let Stephen know.
I thought it was ok when I saw it 37 years ago. Hey Dave, it's 2010.  :lol: :nana:
Most of Tom Hanks movies drag on until you want to become a castaway after a plane crash....ohh wait a minute. :D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Brock Samson

come on that movie is not 37 years old,..  :slap:
he's a popular Favorite, though I thought those Di Vinci movies were ok for me to poop on...  :eek2:

BigBlackDodge

ChgrSteve67

It can be one of those thought provoking movies if you get the point they are trying to get across.

If you kill one of god creations what are you going to tell god when he asks you why you did it?

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Mike DC

IMHO Steven King's stuff is invariably better in print than it is onscreen.  He's not a writer like Michael Crichton (whose stuff is virtually tailor-made for screen adaptations.)

Shawshank Redemption is amazing but it's not a realistic bar to set for anyone.  The majority of King's movies don't even approach it.  And in fact SR was expanded from what was originally just a very short work of his.

Cooter

I thought Green Mile was very good, as well as Shaw Shank....No matter how good a movie is, there will always be someone that hates it, or gets bored halfway through...I gotta buddy like that..He calls me just to "Pick my brain" because he doesn't have the money to actually build an engine yet, so he gets bored with having nothing to do. Some people are hard to please and some are easy...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BrianShaughnessy

I really liked that movie when it came out... like 10 years ago.

It actually had production values which is more than most SK movies get...   made for TV type junk.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Brock Samson

Well, thanks guys, I'll Give the S.R. a try.  Maybe if i had expected TGM to be a three hour plus movie I would've enjoyed it more, I just thought there were a few too many story lines going on by 2 1/2 Hr. mark.

Along a similar vein - a Movie i really liked very. very much, with a somewhat similar kind of message was "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". 1995 -starring Jon Voight as Eddie. Directed by Lloyd Kramer,  Dagmara Dominczyk (Marguerite), Jeff Daniels (Blue Man), Ellen Burstyn (Ruby), Michael Imperioli (Captain), Steven Grayhm (young Eddie) and Callum Keith Rennie as Eddie's father.
I haven't read the book but the Movie By Hallmark Films I thought was really very good and actually touched me quite deeply.  :shruggy: Enough I bought a copy and love to loan to friends.

an Excerpt from the Best Selling Book Follows:
  http://contemporarylit.about.com/cs/firstchapters/a/fivepeople.htm

Inspiration: The main character, Eddie, was actually based on Mitch Albom's uncle Eddie. Both the fictional and real versions of Eddie were war veterans who died at 83 and lived simple lives, both feeling that they had not accomplished everything in life they should have. As a child, Albom listened to one of his uncle's stories during Thanksgiving dinner. Eddie told him of a night when he went to the hospital with a raging fever. He awoke in the middle of the night, and sitting at the foot of his bed were dead relatives. Upon being asked by exuberant children what he did, Eddie replied: "I told them to get lost. I wasn't ready for them yet."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 06, 2010, 03:10:59 PMYou know like when folks say "that's another three hours and eight minutes I'll never get back"?.   :icon_smile_angry:
Thoughts opinions?..  :shruggy:

Kind of like that time i watched the Big Lewbowski.   :frog:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 08, 2010, 10:35:02 PM
QuoteKind of like that time i watched the Big Lewbowski.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=058P1L0FZ1E&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfclvdY7E7Y

oK, that was funny, i guess i'll have to watch that movie one more time and give it another shot.  My friend at work has watched it 100 times and says its the funniest movie ever made.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

I haven't seen The Green Mile or The Big Lebowski, but I suppose I will see them at some point in time.   :shruggy:

However, I did think Tom Hanks was better in "Turner & Hooch" than James Belushi was in "K-9" for a cop & dog partner type flick.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Mike DC

Lebowski is definitely an acquired taste.  But it's great once you've acquired it. 

Brock Samson

one of my Favs. The Dude is...  :shruggy: Donnie Darko too...  :popcrn:

bull

I doubt King had all that much to do with the production of the movie itself. He didn't write the screenplay but he may have done some consulting. If you're going to blame someone for The Green Mile blame the writer and director, Frank Darabont, who also wrote and directed The Shawshank Redemption. Apparently he likes Stephen King prison dramas and likes to see them made into movies.

Khyron

not sure if you saw it yet....... but just thought I would warn you..... the Titanic sunk .... and 2 hours later .... the ending sunk too

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.