News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

End of the Viper, PT Cruiser

Started by tricky lugnuts, August 01, 2010, 03:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

i believe it had about a tenth of the numbers made (per Year) 4038 FORD GTs in total - and was two to three times more expensive... $149,995 Vs.  $86,140 :shruggy:

The first private sale of Ford's new mid-engine sports car was completed on August 4, 2004, when former Microsoft executive Jon Shirley took delivery of his Midnight Blue 2005 Ford GT.[2] Shirley earned the right to purchase the first production Ford GT (chassis #10) at a charity auction at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Auction after bidding over $557,000.[3]
A few other early cars sold for as much as a US$100,000 premium over the suggested retail price of $139,995 (Ford increased the MSRP to $149,995 on July 1, 2005).[4] Optional equipment available included a McIntosh sound system, racing stripes, and forged alloy wheels adding an additional $13,500 to the MSRP.[5] An enthusiast website, FordGTprices.com, tracked sales and production numbers, and published up-to-date best-pricing advice, based on tracking the prices of successfully completed eBay auctions of the cars. By June 2005, retail sale prices had dropped to around $10,000 to $20,000 over MSRP, and in August 2005 several new GTs were sold on eBay for no more than the suggested retail price

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT   production numbers and prices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper                 "

Car and Driver tested the Viper's track performance, and managed a fast sub-3 minute lap time around Virginia International Raceway. The Viper's time, despite hot weather, was faster than the Corvette Z06, Ford GT, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, and 911 GT2, Audi R8, and similar cars.
  The 25,000th Viper is owned by Kurt Busch and the milestone was commemorated by Bob Nardelli, Chrysler LLC Chairman, in a ceremony at the Conner plant in March 2008
   Price Range: $86,140 - $91,005

On November 4, 2009, Dodge Car Brand President and CEO Ralph Gilles announced that the Viper would end production in the summer of 2010. A new car Template:As in 2012 to replace the current Viper, but it is not known if the new car will have the Viper name.[11]

The last 2010 Viper has been built, but a 2012 Dodge Viper redesign is likely. Ralph Gilles said the new car would use expertise, materials, and technology (but not parts) from Ferrari to lighten the weight, with a V-10 derived from the current 8.4L engine. Gilles said the Viper will always be V10 powered and that there might be a V8 powered sibling. * We believe that the future Viper will be similar to the current one in basic look, feel, and character; changes will focus on increasing performance and conforming to new safety standards.

* http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/firepower.html

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 04, 2010, 09:02:16 AM
quote TruckDriver  > l Knew about it, but never liked either car.

quote dkn1997   > That's why I could care less that they ever even made the first one.  Good riddance.

I saw the one from truckdriver but not dkn. Very strange though. You wouldn't think any car guy/Dodge fan would have any problem with a good looking V10 RWD 600+ hp Dodge monster but... whatever. Anyway, the words "hate" and "hater" have been overused to the point of impotence. They have no meaning anymore.

Brock Samson

I know, how many two seater sports cars has Dodge made anyhow?..  :shruggy: And the PT was pretty trendsetting in it's own way at the time,.. I really loved the original concept... in 1998 it was pretty neat, that was 12 years ago and I still love the Raked Ford Coupe look.  :yesnod:

They made a convert two door and a no slouch GT Turbo Convert. that was pretty neat and well turned out.

It's also important to note that the Daimler "invasion" derailed the Dodge Chrysler Plymouth plans for all it's product lines delaying all model updates a min. of 18 Mos. and eliminating Plymouth entirely.
 and that's all I'm gonna say about that.  :flame:

Mike DC

I wouldn't mind seeing the Viper go to V8 motors.  IMHO the V10 always sounded wrong. 

The car's signature is a stupid amount of low/midrange torque and a mandatory stick shift.  Keep that intact and it will remain pure.