News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

That's it, crush their dreams and make them bow to the govt. early in life...

Started by bull, August 05, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Quote from: bull on August 06, 2010, 12:05:14 AM
Quote from: TK73 on August 05, 2010, 10:21:53 PM
Quote from: elacruze on August 05, 2010, 09:28:02 PM
VOTE!!

For what?

For the opposite candidate/issue as TK73!

:smilielol:  :smilielol:

Bull, You ready to make the move from the west coast to the mid-west yet? Personally I would go nuts out there. But, it is not like we do not do stupid s#!t here in Indiana.  :shruggy:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ponch ®

Would we be reacting the same way if instead of a cute 7 year old girl it had been a 35 year old unemployed male, also trying to sell lemonade for .50 "to earn a little extra summer loot"?

Besides, from what I'm reading it wasn't even real lemonade. It was friggin Kool Aid! Is it too ponderous a task to cut and squeeze a few lemons...? :rotz:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 06, 2010, 03:40:51 PM
Would we be reacting the same way if instead of a cute 7 year old girl it had been a 35 year old unemployed male, also trying to sell lemonade for .50 "to earn a little extra summer loot"?

Besides, from what I'm reading it wasn't even real lemonade. It was friggin Kool Aid! Is it too ponderous a task to cut and squeeze a few lemons...? :rotz:

Yes, people would have taken part of a public lynching & called for new laws.

Real lemons over Kool Aid? Are you just trying to make sure that the migrant workers keep their jobs picking lemons?   :shruggy:  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 06, 2010, 04:00:56 PM

Real lemons over Kool Aid? Are you just trying to make sure that the migrant workers keep their jobs picking lemons?   :shruggy:  :D

yeah, but only the properly documented ones.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 06, 2010, 04:05:01 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on August 06, 2010, 04:00:56 PM

Real lemons over Kool Aid? Are you just trying to make sure that the migrant workers keep their jobs picking lemons?   :shruggy:  :D

yeah, but only the properly documented ones.

I think we should require permits now to pick lemons, but only issue the permits to a legal citizen. (If it's legal to do that.) Besides, it won't be racist if you ask a lemon picker to see his permit to pick lemons.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 06, 2010, 03:31:44 PM
Bull, You ready to make the move from the west coast to the mid-west yet? Personally I would go nuts out there. But, it is not like we do not do stupid s#!t here in Indiana.  :shruggy:

Totally. I feel like one of a few uninfected people among a bloodthirsty throng of Gorey zombies.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 06, 2010, 09:45:27 AM

I agree, but if I was the person working the fair checking permits I'd have ignored it unless it was an actual complaint from another vendor.

That's one possibility all of the "government sucks" people are overlooking, any vendor who has to live with overhead costs is gonna snitch off somebody getting off with no fees.

So, where lies the evil here, government or business?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rav440

Quote from: stripedelete on August 06, 2010, 12:25:16 AM
She got off easy.   Look at that sign! It doesn't have a brick base, no back lighting, wrong materials, to low, unapproved color ....fonts....letter height......................

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Ghoste

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2010, 03:22:32 PM

I agree, but if I was the person working the fair checking permits I'd have ignored it unless it was an actual complaint from another vendor.

That's one possibility all of the "government sucks" people are overlooking, any vendor who has to live with overhead costs is gonna snitch off somebody getting off with no fees.

Although I rarely agree with you on anything political, I would add a third evil to your list and ask what about the media who set the story up in the first place to portray it in such a way as to look like the child was getting the hammer of beaurocracy down on her head.  Yes, they told the rest of the story but they certainly knew that most of us (myself included) would just look at the first part quickly and form an opinion. 
I would say there are a few parties sharing the guilt here.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2010, 07:38:16 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2010, 03:22:32 PM

Although I rarely agree with you on anything political, I would add a third evil to your list and ask what about the media who set the story up in the first place to portray it in such a way as to look like the child was getting the hammer of beaurocracy down on her head.  Yes, they told the rest of the story but they certainly knew that most of us (myself included) would just look at the first part quickly and form an opinion. 
I would say there are a few parties sharing the guilt here.

Very true. The first things I think about after reading or hearing ANY news story, is why is this story news, & why is this particular source presenting it to the public. There's always an agenda behind it whether it's an important story or not. Too bad news isn't reported as a not-for-profit service.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

I applaud you.  Even though I know better, I am very guilty of doing like most of the rest of the public and just viewing the "trailers" that the news-o-tainment industry throws out.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2010, 09:42:12 AM
I applaud you.  Even though I know better, I am very guilty of doing like most of the rest of the public and just viewing the "trailers" that the news-o-tainment industry throws out.

Don't applaud me, I'm just an optimistic pessimist.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Tilar

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 11, 2010, 10:21:35 AM

Don't applaud me, I'm just an optimistic pessimist.   :lol:

So you're confident that everything is going to hell in a hand basket?   :smilielol:  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

I don't think there's much of an agenda here other than it's an odd story, and odd stories by definition create interest. I would say it's unusual for a kid to be threatened with a fine for selling lemonade.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on August 11, 2010, 05:37:50 PM
I don't think there's much of an agenda here other than it's an odd story, and odd stories by definition create interest. I would say it's unusual for a kid to be threatened with a fine for selling lemonade.

Unusual, yes. Interesting, maybe. But even the title of the thread makes it sound like the poor little girl wasn't doing anything wrong (technically, she was) and the ATF  showed up SWAT-style and took her in like she was selling MOPAR parts at Carlisle....

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 11, 2010, 05:48:57 PM

Unusual, yes. Interesting, maybe. But even the title of the thread makes it sound like the poor little girl wasn't doing anything wrong (technically, she was) and the ATF  showed up SWAT-style and took her in like she was selling MOPAR parts at Carlisle....

Technically, we all do something wrong every day. But I think this is a good example when the spirit of the law should have superceded the letter of the law. Jeff Cogen, chairman of the Multnomah County Board of Commissions, seems to agree while apologizing on behalf of the county: "Our health department what they were trying to do, I understand...I just feel like we have to be able to distinguish between a 7 year old, who is selling lemonade and trying to learn about business and someone who actually has a business," Cogen said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/05/oregon-county-apologies-year-old-girl-saying-lemonade-stand/

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on August 11, 2010, 07:25:21 PM

Technically, we all do something wrong every day. But I think this is a good example when the spirit of the law should have superceded the letter of the law. Jeff Cogen, chairman of the Multnomah County Board of Commissions, seems to agree while apologizing on behalf of the county: "Our health department what they were trying to do, I understand...I just feel like we have to be able to distinguish between a 7 year old, who is selling lemonade and trying to learn about business and someone who actually has a business," Cogen said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/05/oregon-county-apologies-year-old-girl-saying-lemonade-stand/

I bet nobody would have apologized if the little 7 year old girl was dropped off by Aftaab & Fawziya, wore a burqa & was selling camel's milk.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 12, 2010, 02:39:44 PM

I bet nobody would have apologized if the little 7 year old girl was dropped off by Aftaab & Fawziya, wore a burqa & was selling camel's milk.

Oh, so now it's got racist undertones too? ::)

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on August 12, 2010, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on August 12, 2010, 02:39:44 PM

Oh, so now it's got racist undertones too? ::)

Of course there is racist undertones, you can't see it, Bull? Her last name is Murphy, an Irish name. The health inspector is Kawaguchi, a Japanese name. Japan was on Germany's side in WW2 & Ireland gotten blown to hell from Germany. Since Japan lost the war & just still pissed off, what better way to feel good than to badger some 7 year old lemonade punk?   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Oh, sorry. I wasn't wearing my "They Live" glasses when I read it before. :eek2: