News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

That's it, crush their dreams and make them bow to the govt. early in life...

Started by bull, August 05, 2010, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/100029544.html

Oregon County shuts down kid's lemonade stand

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - It's hardly unusual to hear small business owners gripe about licensing requirements or complain that heavy-handed regulations are driving them into the red.

So when Multnomah County shut down an enterprise last week for operating without a license, you might just sigh and say, there they go again.

Except this entrepreneur was a 7-year-old named Julie Murphy. Her business was a lemonade stand at the Last Thursday monthly art fair. The government regulation she violated? Failing to get a $120 temporary restaurant license.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Tilar

Good comment from the article:

QuoteWe let illegals have all of these under the table jobs with no permits and no taxes paid yet we stifle the ambition and productivity of a 7 year old girl who was trying to have some fun and make a little money.

This is a good example proving that law makes no concessions for common sense.
Dave  

mikepmcs

unless her parents sent her out there to make them some money, then it could be looked at a little differently.

i do agree though. let the kid sell the junk, but .50.  what the heck happened to a nickel!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Brock Samson

mikepmcs

hey Dave, is that one guy still beating the canvas down there at the wharf.  I remember watching him and his son, collecting the money, packing up and getting in a brand newish mercedes.  this was many years ago but i bet the taxes weren't being paid by that gentleman.....
i guess my question is...are there laws that apply to street performers or do they just turn a blind eye.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RD

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 05, 2010, 06:44:38 PM
i guess my question is...are there laws that apply to street performers or do they just turn a blind eye.

you got that right!  sorry, this is fracken bullshiza.  do they expect her to file taxes next?  azzhulls.

Quote"As far as Last Thursday is concerned, people know when they are coming there that it's more or less a free-for-all," she said. "It's gotten to the point where they need to be in all of our decisions. They don't trust us to make good choices on our own."

government is getting too dang big if you ask me.  big brother is watching you!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 05, 2010, 06:44:38 PM
hey Dave, is that one guy still beating the canvas down there at the wharf.  I remember watching him and his son, collecting the money, packing up and getting in a brand newish mercedes.  this was many years ago but i bet the taxes weren't being paid by that gentleman.....

well they have to have a city Business Lic. now and i belive it's $120 a yr for the permit. and any designated "street performer" is alloted a location by a Committee at City Hall,.. so you can't just pull your acoustic guitar out on height street anymore or you'll get some sort of ticket, though I don't know what the fine is.
Have you heard about the "don't sit/lie" law?.. It makes it a tickitable offence to sit or lie on the sidewalk...
   http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-28/bay-area/20447391_1_sidewalk-san-francisco-sit

This guy is my Fav. known as the bushman he sits outside one of my regular haunts and i love to watch him make the tourists scream and run away... he's been doing this in excess of 20 years now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zURVJnQjHkA      :smilielol:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2NW_iL0hLQ        :rofl:

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 05, 2010, 06:02:31 PM
the law is the law. :smash: :violin:

Good point. If it weren't in place we'd have 14-year-old illegal aliens selling possum burritos out of the trunks of their Fords.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on August 05, 2010, 07:28:40 PM

Good point. If it weren't in place we'd have 14-year-old illegal aliens selling possum burritos out of the trunks of their Fords.

:rofl: :rofl: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   

Them sound yummie...  :yesnod:  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Darkman

Quote from: Tilar on August 05, 2010, 06:37:06 PM
This is a good example proving that law makes no concessions for common sense.

No such thing as common sense!

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 05, 2010, 06:40:42 PM
what the heck happened to a nickel!

Inflation....and she now has to cover the $120 for her licence
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

TruckDriver

And people think America is so great of a country.......................... PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

America is a great country.  It's pompous political bureaucrats with enormous egos and teeny tiny little brains that need an enema in their ear canal.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

stripedelete

She got off easy.   Look at that sign! It doesn't have a brick base, no back lighting, wrong materials, to low, unapproved color ....fonts....letter height......................

Tilar

Dave  

Old Moparz

I agree, but if I was the person working the fair checking permits I'd have ignored it unless it was an actual complaint from another vendor. If you read just the headline & see the little kid's photo, you might think that the establishment is out to crush the profits she's going to make by forcing her to get a license. The difference is, it isn't a kid at the end of her driveway in front of her own house, it's an art fair where other food vendors all paid to get a spot & sell the overpriced crap they have, like a $4 bottle of water or an $8 hockey puck burger. The kid didn't drive herself to the fair, her parents did & should have bought her the damn food vendor license instead of another freakin' video game.  :lol:

Vendor fees suck, but that's life so get used to it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 06, 2010, 09:45:27 AMVendor fees suck, but that's life so get used to it.

Whats the purpose of the money paid for in a vendor fee anyways?  What does the "public" need the money for so that the vendor can operate?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

I suspect the "Govt". be it Federal, State or Local will be squeezing at every turn to pay for their poor planning Huge saleries, pensions, perks and upside down mathematics, Moreover, They will begin to sanction previously taboo practices if they think they can pick folks pockets via fees, taxes, permits and citations. the Pot Clubs and Growers and some other questionable practices I will not name that come to mind.  :angel:
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0529/oakland-city-tax-license-marijuana-production/
Govt. Greed is written all over this issue. Oakland Calif. is a super screwed up bureaucracy from soup to nuts.

last426

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 06, 2010, 02:09:28 PM
Whats the purpose of the money paid for in a vendor fee anyways?  What does the "public" need the money for so that the vendor can operate?

Extra police duty, extra animal control duty, extra health department duty and on and on. 

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 06, 2010, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on August 06, 2010, 09:45:27 AMVendor fees suck, but that's life so get used to it.

Vendor fees get broken down into many categories....

5 % covers administrative meetings to decide which department will administer the permit, such as health, recreation, building, etc.
5 % covers the administrative process of how the permit will be designed, processed, & issued.
5 % covers cost of redesigning the permit & the process for each department to prevent familiarities & convenience.
5 % covers administration expenses of issuing the permit including data entry, printing, copying, & issuance.
5 % covers indirect expenses, such as the employee that doesn't issue permits but covers for the only person on break that knows the process.
25 % covers the expenses involved in the field such as the inspector's salary, health benefits, company vehicle, forms, photo I.D, & clipboard.
10 % covers the code enforcement violation process including the levying of fines & warnings.
15 % covers miscellaneous overhead including the building maintenance costs, gas, electric, etc.
20 % covers legal fees for consultation to make sure the interpretation of the permit process doesn't violate any existing codes & laws.
5 % covers the cost of public relations in case someone like the lemonade girl becomes a news story.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry