News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plug reading

Started by BBKNARF, August 05, 2010, 11:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

After my drive around town my car wasn't performing as it should, I pulled all the plugs out and this is what I found.
I'm running a stroked 451, Holley 950cfm d.p., jet size 79 front, 84 back, 2.5 power valves front & back, Eddie duel plane rpm performer intake, Eddie heads, ngk plugs BCP6E S gaped at .045,
all MSD system, Firecore wires, total timing 36*, I know the basic plug reading but need a little help on whats going on the car was driving great at these setting before, what gives.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

lisiecki1

carbon fouling?  were they wet at all?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

idahogrumpy

In my opinion the plugs are too cold, the engine is rich, and the timing is a little too advanced. Grumpy :Twocents: 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

idahogrumpy

You might also check your cap, rotor, and plug wires. Looks like some holes are firing better than others.  :Twocents: Grumpy

Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

BBKNARF

Quote from: idahogrumpy on August 05, 2010, 08:42:11 PM
You might also check your cap, rotor, and plug wires. Looks like some holes are firing better than others.  :Twocents: Grumpy

Every thing looks good, the plugs were not wet when I pulled them, also the plugs is what they reccomand for my combo.
36* total is what my motor loves, Ive tryed it lower and higher, its a guessing game, maybe I'll try running a hotter plug  :shruggy:

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4

firefighter3931

The 6 series plug is perfect for that combo....don't change it. It's definately rich and there seems to be some variation between cylinders. You might have some clogged air bleeds which is richening up the mixture. Get some carb cleaner and try spraying both the idle and high speed air bleeds.

Frank, how much vacuum is your engine making at idle ? The HP carbs are designed for low vacuum and the fuel curve is quite agressive.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 05, 2010, 11:19:53 PM
The 6 series plug is perfect for that combo....don't change it. It's definately rich and there seems to be some variation between cylinders. You might have some clogged air bleeds which is richening up the mixture. Get some carb cleaner and try spraying both the idle and high speed air bleeds.

Frank, how much vacuum is your engine making at idle ? The HP carbs are designed for low vacuum and the fuel curve is quite agressive.

Ron
I will spray some cleaner in the air bleeds and see what happens, my vacuum is 8 at idle. The duration on my camshaft is 248/254 @ .050" lift