News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaky Valve Covers

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, August 03, 2010, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I had leaky valve covers and changed out the stock stamped steel valve covers for Mopar Performance Polished ones. When doing this I found out that on the drivers side I had the most forward fastener location (where the stud goes) completely broken off...nowhere to fasten a screw to. The fastener location beside that down low was stripped out. I used some JB Weld in the holes and put in a stud but had no luck. Seemed when the motor got hot the JB broke lose. Does anyone have any good ideas what to do next other than trash the heads? Gettin sick of leaky valve covers...sucks..

Thanks,

Lawrence

yeahitsgotahemi!

Stripped out threads can be repaired. As far as the piece that broke off the head, it might be possible to build up a tab with weld depending on how much broke off, and a new hole could be drilled/tapped. I've had cast iron welded for a repair before, but it might not be worth/possible to repair? 

In anycase, the bad head will have to come off, and it might be easier to find a replacement than to repair it. Now might be a good time to upgrade to some aluminum heads if it's in the budget?
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Sixt8Chrgr

I have a set of 75 model 452 heads that are complete. They have new freeze plugs in them but don't know if they have been worked or not.

Few questions:

My car has factory A/C that works and I want to retain that. Will the 75 452 heads work the same with the A/C brackets as the 906 heads on now?
Will the 452 heads work the same as 906 heads if I don't decide to go with aluminum?

Thanks,

TylerCharger69

Sounds like those cast valve covers were torqued down  WAY more than they needed to be

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 05, 2010, 09:04:43 PM
Sounds like those cast valve covers were torqued down  WAY more than they needed to be

The damage to the heads was done before the cast valve covers were put on.

TylerCharger69

Yes   thats what i meant.....someone down the road before you got the heads torqued the valve covers down way too much     At least that is what it sounds like to me....unless im misunderstanding

ACUDANUT

Heli-coil. Worked great for me.  :Twocents:

Sixt8Chrgr

I could heli-coil a few of the holes but unfortunately one of the front areas is broken off and an other hole is just been drilled in so much it is non-useable. I have been thinking about pulling this motor anyway and putting a 440 that I have in the car...that is what I am going to do.