News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Complete Re-build Ideas!

Started by emcginty, August 04, 2010, 09:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emcginty

Ok here is the deal, I am planning on updating my 68 Charger.

Steering first: What I have is a column shift.  I am planning on changing the split bench seat to some nice looking racing type seats.  So that frees up the center for some type of floor automatic shifter.  Now back to the steering...I am looking for a custom type of steering column along with updated gear box.  So any ideas would be great!

K-member:  I am planning on getting a tubular k-member kit from someone like magnum force has on their website. So peice that is taken care of.

Transmission:  I have zero ideas on which one to get and/or where!

Rear end and Drive shaft:  I am looking at strange engineering.  Other than that I am still shopping.

Engine:  Is a toss up between a 440 ci or 426 ci Hemi.  The goals I am looking for is nothing too radical: Horsepower no more than 500 at engine.  A good thump with the cam and nothing that I have to spend every waking second working on.  I am lost in the sauce on the engine so I need some help pulling me out of the weeds.

Over all budget for the build is going to be around 15-20g but I have some body work to be done.

Any help will be appreacitated.

Rolling_Thunder

go with a stout 440  with a 727 behind it...         budget oriented but can easily make 500hp...

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Brock Samson

yeah?..  if that's your budget and it's pretty small - forget the HEMI, that'll take most all of that piddly amount - not counting incidentals... but you can build a nice 500 HP magnum even upgrade it to six-pack internals like i did for alittle more than half the cost. I doubt you need that magnum and strange stuff which is very expensive. concentrate on better breathing, and if your not sure about the tranny you'd really better think if you wanna shift or need to,..
Research research research!  :yesnod:

Brock Samson

Cooter

Wow, haven't heard that one in a long time..."good thump with the cam and nothing that I have to spend every waking second working on."....Would that be "Rumpity, Rumpity, rumpity?, or Womp, womp, womp?....Old cars= working on 'em..Have fun....Go with the 440...Hemi's cost too much..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

:Twocents: Skip the Magnum Force K-frame and go with the RMS AlterKtion deal. 

(Or better yet, just overhaul the totally worn out stock front end.  I think it can be made tight enough to please most guys who are seeking aftermarket K-frames if you give it a few certain tweaks.)

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 04, 2010, 11:50:58 PM
yeah?..  if that's your budget and it's pretty small - forget the HEMI, that'll take most all of that piddly amount - not counting incidentals... but you can build a nice 500 HP magnum even upgrade it to six-pack internals like i did for alittle more than half the cost. I doubt you need that magnum and strange stuff which is very expensive. concentrate on better breathing, and if your not sure about the tranny you'd really better think if you wanna shift or need to,..
Research research research!  :yesnod:

I agree, HEMI is way to expensive for your budget and horsepower requirements which can EASILY be achieved with a high perf. 440 with Eddy RPM heads for half the cost, and make 500HP (easily) with nice "lumpity, rumpity" flat tappet hydraulic cam.   :cheers:

I will be doing the same thing shortly (build a bad azz pump gas 440) but want to get close to 550HP!  :icon_smile_cool:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

emcginty

Mike Dc Thanks for the heads up on RMS.  I will be checking them out. 

As far as the budget is concerned the resale of all the old parts, engine, and other crap that is unwanted is not factored in.  But if it is too small...state why its too small and provide a general figure on what would get me where I want to be.  The budget stated is where I want to be not where it could be.  This is my first rebuild so it is a learning process. 

"You cant learn, If you never try!"

68X426

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 04, 2010, 09:55:42 PM
go with a stout 440  with a 727 behind it...         budget oriented but can easily make 500hp...

:iagree:

The Hemi isn't remotely practical. 440 gets you more bang for the buck. After a week at Hot August Nights, I actually heard the Brand X guys admiring 440s. Even they get it.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow