News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it hard to break apart the front grille on a 68 Charger?

Started by sixpack_sid, August 13, 2010, 08:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

My front grille on my 68 Charger is rusted on the top and bottom brackets. How hard is it to remove the metal without breaking the plastic grille? I would like to sandblast it. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Mike DC

The plastic can be fragile.  There are no reproductions of those grilles so BE CAREFUL. 

It's pretty much the same story as with any other part of the car - soak the hardware with penetrating oil for a few hours and then go at it. 

(And if you're not already aware, the grille assembly has to be taken off the car before you try to take the plastic out of it.)

Troy

And be extremely careful if you use a cut off wheel or try to drill out any broken bolts as the heat will melt the plastic you're trying to save! It is very tedious and time consuming but, as Mike said, the plastic isn't available (used metal frames can be found easily enough) so treat it as gently as possible.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker