News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So I got a little problem

Started by Axels73Charger, August 04, 2010, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axels73Charger

Well I've been looking at charger for a while and well ITS looking like we found a good one for me BUT I dont have the cash. Now Im 15 living with my parents and it was MY dad who found this charger. So I've got $2000+ and the cars $3000. (3800 but some people who looked at it said I could get it for $3000-$3500)

I need some ideas on how I could get the last 1000 bucks or so. I could ask my dad but ALOT of our money is being used on a WELL needed vacation for him... and the rest of the family. So I COULD ask him but that doesnt sit ALL that well with me at the moment. I could ask grandparents but they ALL live in michigan and have there own problems... (if you know all the bad stuff thats happening in MI then you should get the point. But that is where the charger is) So I need some kind of idea on HOW IN THE HECK I could get this charger before it sells. And if I do ask SOME ONE for money I'll pay them back in about 4-6 weeks if not less. or more... But still Im stuck on this one!
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

Alaskan_TA

Get a job maybe? Or a second one?

Cooter

Sell the XBox and games. Sell the Guitar Hero and games. Mow a few lawns. Try a few odd jobs for neighbors...PLENTY of things you can do to raise the money...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Axels73Charger

I have 3 jobs. I dont have a Xbox or any of the other stuff. I have tried doing jobs for neighbors but I only have 2 (I live in the country)
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

TK73

Sell crack... heard the markup is astronomical...

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

1970Moparmann

Hate to say this, but wait until you have all the money.  When I was looking for my first Charger, I searched high and low, but had a lot of fun looking.  My first Charger, and second, weren't my dream Charger either!  It was all I could afford at the time.  I like your attitude about putting family issues first!  I see too many people your age with much different attitudes...... Save up the cash, and then find a car based on the cash situation.  Or, find a good find for $2k do some cleaning and sell it for a profit.  I have the cars I have today due to this philosophy.  Kept buying and selling "good deals" and have my dream cars now.  Thank goodness I did this because I'm very fortunate.  Keep searching Craigslist and you'll find some other good Mopar finds.   Look at the member that found the station wagon for $400 on Ebay........

Good luck! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mauve66

go to the bank, if your making a grand in 4-6 wks and can prove it they would give you a short term loan even if your parents co-signed for it, if you've saved 2grand already they should be able to see that your responsible enough for the rest, wish i could get my kid to save some money.............. :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mikepmcs

Quote from: Axels73Charger on August 04, 2010, 08:07:02 PM
I have 3 jobs. I dont have a Xbox or any of the other stuff. I have tried doing jobs for neighbors but I only have 2 (I live in the country)

I like your work ethic already.
I also like the fact that you will not ask your parents for the money.  Too many ungrateful kids out there nowadays and it appears that you are not one of them.  Good for you.  Respect your parents always.  I'm 43 and still scared of my Father. He's also still my hero as well.

Keep working hard and you'll get your car. May not be tomorrow but it will be there and you'll have earned some serious bragging rights for life.  You'll carry these life lessons with you and pass them on someday.  
:2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Axels73Charger

Thanks. I might have to just work and wait... My dad doesnt like loans. He trying to teach me to not rely on them and to earn money first... I think thats what he said. That was 4 months ago. He really likes this one so maybe he'll help me out  :shruggy: Or maybe I'll just keep working as i said and well maybe it'll stay. Or i'll get a better one... or I'll just save up and get a perfect one... Keep the ideas/comments coming. It helps me think.

TK73

So, if he "helps you out" this is either a loan or an handout...

Axels73Charger

i dont like/take handouts. IF he helps me i'll pay him back and then some more cash for helping me.

Ponch ®

Quote from: TK73 on August 04, 2010, 10:42:37 PM
So, if he "helps you out" this is either a loan or an handout...

dude...the kid is 15. It's not like he's 30, unemployed and living at home off his parents. Looks like he's trying but theres only so much a kid his age can do.  He may have reached the point where he does need a little help.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TK73

Eh, just bustin on him a bit... I know that is not normally done around here...   

bull

If I were you I'd wait until you have enough cash. I know it feels like this could be the last chance you're going to get but it isn't. What year of Charger are we talking about?

Other than that, there's not much you can do to make $1,000 quick or you'd probably be doing it already.

Axels73Charger

74 charger se 318 center console powder blue white vinyl top looks like little to no rust.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Axels73Charger on August 04, 2010, 11:47:21 PM
74 charger se 318 center console powder blue white vinyl top looks like little to no rust.

show up with the cash you got in your hand and wave it in front of the guy (not literally, but you kno what i mean). You wouldnt believe how many "the guy wanted X, but I showed up with (a lot less than X) and as soon as he saw the cash he let the car go" stories abound around here.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

69charger440

Well I am really crafty when it comes to talking to people about buying cars!!  Pm me this guys contact number a maybe I can talk this guy down for you!!! Hey it's worth a shot!!!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Darkman

Money talks...bullsh!t walks. Show him the cash he may go for it since you are so young.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Axels73Charger

Quote from: 69charger440 on August 05, 2010, 01:08:54 AM
Well I am really crafty when it comes to talking to people about buying cars!!  Pm me this guys contact number a maybe I can talk this guy down for you!!! Hey it's worth a shot!!!!
Actually thats not a bad idea... If you can talk him down enough I could possible figure something easy and smart to do to get the "talked down price" :2thumbs:
Quote from: Darkman on August 05, 2010, 05:18:24 AM
Money talks...bullsh!t walks. Show him the cash he may go for it since you are so young.

Hey there both worth a shot. I just need to make sure I have enough planned ahead. The car is 8 hours away. But I got family near there (kinda) so... Thanks for the help and Ideas!!!!  :cheers:

Axels73Charger

Oh and another thing that I did. Last night I wrote and letter to my parents. This was because it was late and I really wanted to go to bed and just let them talk about it. Well I they were impressed! Bad thing is... There as stuck as I was. I thought hard again and well... This is kind of a dick move in some ways but, Over the last couple of years michigan has started to get rid of work and is now having money trouble. Maybe he needs the money? I mean he does like in lansing. Just saying. So maybe you guys are right and cash will do all the talking and maybe I'll get the car. He did say "3800 odo" So I'll make a offer.

ACUDANUT

Give them a nice deposit. I am sure they can wait 4-6 weeks for the rest. :Twocents:

Khyron

go to a bar and ask for "Vinny"

problem is if you don't pay the 50% interest he'll break your legs.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Troy

You asked for opinions so here goes...

Wait. Why?
1. There are lots of cars and the market appears to still be falling.
2. Cars will be cheaper in the fall after cruising season when the market gets saturated.
3. You're not technically even old enough to drive yet.
4. You don't have enough money to purchase the car so how do you plan on paying for everything it needs once you get it?
5. You have nothing personally invested in this particular car so don't go out of your comfort zone or make a poor decision for it.
6. It it were such a great deal it would already be gone. There has to be a reason no one is buying and the seller is willing to come down that far on price.

I can probably come up with more but the key in this situation all comes down to managing money. You're already aware of the limitations that you have to work around which puts you about 10 steps ahead of the rest of America. Don't "bite off more than you can chew". Another piece of advice I always give to the youngsters: your first car should be a cheap beater. If you can also afford your "dream car" buy it as well but don't buy it as your only car! When I was in high school my only car was my 68 Charger. I absolutely had to have it to drive to school and work so, when it broke, I either had to fix it on the weekend or slap it together ASAP. This led to a lot of "shadetree mechanic" type of repairs that I still regret. If the car could have sat for a few days or a week while I gathered the correct parts the car would have been a lot better off. On the other hand, when you have no choice it's amazing how quickly you can get something back on the road.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Any kid today using a 40 plus year old car for a daily driver should listen to the last paragrapg from above....It just isn't practical to even attempt it...Agreed, first car should be a Beater..Something cheap..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Axels73Charger

Its only been on there since monday. There are some cheap neons I could buy. Its in michigan and they dont have much of anything... But your right. I'll just have to wait and see if I can find something better in the fall.

terrible one

Man  I just had to jump in here! So many similarities!

You sound like you are in the same boat as me. I agree completely with everyone about waiting until you have more money. The reasons have been listed over and over,  but I'll even take it a step further and say wait until you are 17-18 and have had a few years to save all of your money and forget about 3,800 or whatever . . . save $12k or $15k and get yourself something that isn't going to need much at all! BELIEVE ME this is the BEST time to save money because you don't have bills to pay yet!

I heard this same argument when I was 15 and I went and got myself a Charger anyways (granted it was a second gen that needed lots . . . at least this one you're looking at runs and drives) I truthfully funded the $3,600 by myself thanks to my parents forcing me to learn about saving money, but that was it. I didn't have any money left for anything. And the car was a long ways from driving or even being complete. All of that money spent and none left to fix the car!

Fast forward 5 years later and the car is still not on the road. I've held down a job since 16 and have the records I've kept myself to prove that on top of that $3,600 I've put about $9,000 more into the car. It probably wouldn't take everyone that long to get this far, but if I was going to have to spend 5 years without getting to enjoy the car anyways, I should have just waited until I could buy a better example. All that time and money and I haven't been able to enjoy it yet.

The way I see it, if I would have waited until I was 18 or 19 and had saved all of that money in one lump sum, I would have had near $15k and would have been able to have a NICER car SOONER!

I don't deeply regret what I did or anything like that . . . it's been a great learning experience. But, IF I COULD do it over again, I would just stack my money up until I had enough to buy at least a nice one  :Twocents:

Axels73Charger

"1974 Dodge Charger SE. 318 ci 2bbl auto trans with center console. Rally gages. Power steering and brakes. Complete Car runs and drives. 3800 obo"

This is from the thread on craigslist. But I think Im gettin the picture that MAYBE I should wait. Read what it says and well if you guys still think I should wait then what can I do?  Oh wait I can wait???

Ponch ®

Quote from: Axels73Charger on August 05, 2010, 12:43:39 PM
"1974 Dodge Charger SE. 318 ci 2bbl auto trans with center console. Rally gages. Power steering and brakes. Complete Car runs and drives. 3800 obo"

This is from the thread on craigslist. But I think Im gettin the picture that MAYBE I should wait. Read what it says and well if you guys still think I should wait then what can I do?  Oh wait I can wait???

That's the rub when it comes to these cars. If you don't buy it, it may forever be "the one that got away". Or you'll buy it and it'll be the money pit you wished you'd stayed away from. You never really know... :shruggy:

Axels73Charger

The worsed thing that could happend I guess Is we go look at it and its got to many rust problems or bondo or something. Or he doesnt wanna play the haggling game...

Lennard

Quote from: Axels73Charger on August 04, 2010, 09:36:14 PM
My dad doesnt like loans. He trying to teach me to not rely on them and to earn money first...

Your dad is a wise man! Go to the seller and pay him the $2000 you already have and put in writing that you payed that amount towards the Charger and will pay the rest within a certain time. You both sign it and after a month or so you pay him the balance and the car is yours.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Troy on August 05, 2010, 10:42:06 AM
You asked for opinions so here goes...

Wait. Why?
1. There are lots of cars and the market appears to still be falling.
2. Cars will be cheaper in the fall after cruising season when the market gets saturated.
3. You're not technically even old enough to drive yet.
4. You don't have enough money to purchase the car so how do you plan on paying for everything it needs once you get it?
5. You have nothing personally invested in this particular car so don't go out of your comfort zone or make a poor decision for it.
6. It it were such a great deal it would already be gone. There has to be a reason no one is buying and the seller is willing to come down that far on price.

I can probably come up with more but the key in this situation all comes down to managing money. You're already aware of the limitations that you have to work around which puts you about 10 steps ahead of the rest of America. Don't "bite off more than you can chew". Another piece of advice I always give to the youngsters: your first car should be a cheap beater. If you can also afford your "dream car" buy it as well but don't buy it as your only car! When I was in high school my only car was my 68 Charger. I absolutely had to have it to drive to school and work so, when it broke, I either had to fix it on the weekend or slap it together ASAP. This led to a lot of "shadetree mechanic" type of repairs that I still regret. If the car could have sat for a few days or a week while I gathered the correct parts the car would have been a lot better off. On the other hand, when you have no choice it's amazing how quickly you can get something back on the road.

Troy

Yes!  Yes!  A million times yes!

I bought mine with all the money I had at age 17.  Guess what, when I got it I had no money left.  Guess what else, Chargers need money!  They run on $$$ more than gas.

In the end I spent 10 years, 5x more than I had planned, and about 60x more than I could originally afford to get the damn thing done.  Do you know what it's like to wait 10 years for a car you've barely ever driven?  Of course not, you're 15 and you probably don't remember anything from 10 years ago.

You need to wait, save up, and buy one that isn't guaranteed to give you a decade's worth of heartache. 

Supercharged Riot

I ran a cross some really good deals when I first started saving for my Charger.
However, I did not have enough money.
I didnt want anyone paying for it neither did I want to pull a loan or borrow money
If it aint the right time for you to buy it.  Just keep saving up
There will be one sooner or later.
It took me 6 yrs, but I finally earned it.