News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Short Block-a good purchase?

Started by PA Dodger, August 09, 2010, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dodger

While at Carlisle I saw Indy Cylinder Heads offers a 470 short block stroker setup for $3150. I was already planning doing this with an old 400 block I have and a stroker rotating assy. I already have a set of 84cc Stealth heads and this short block is 9.5:1 when using 84cc heads.

So, after the rotating assy purchase, and all the block hot tank,freeze plugs, machining, etc... I'll be around the same price give or take a little.  I don't think Indy would sell junk. Is this short block worth it? Would the compression be good enough for pump gas or do I need more for the aluminum heads? Any else I need to consider?

Dan   
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

mauve66

if you didn't get it there it'll probably be higher now, they lower the price so they don't have to drag it back home with them
they do have an on line catalog  to check pricing
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

PA Dodger

I saw it at the Nats last year at the same price. I'll be looking to get it there this year.  I wasn't really looking to buy a short block but it seems to be a good price and I can concentrate on other work on the Charger.  My biggest concern is the compression ratio being too low and having to cut the heads. It's my understanding aluminum heads need a little more squeeze.

Dan

1Bad70Charger

WOW, that does sound like a pretty good deal and 9:5 to 1 would be decent by 10 to 1 compression would be perfect.  Couldn't you bump up the compression close to 10 to 1 by using different size head gasket?  :shruggy:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

mauve66

different thickness of head gaskets will change the compression slightly, how much i don't know
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

PA Dodger

I think I need to do a little homework before the Nats.  I actually used the search function here  :angel: and found some recommendations. Seems like 10:1 to 10:3 would be ideal for aluminum heads. So, now I need to find what will be needed to get that little extra compression.

On a side note...all the talk about how much it costs to build a Mopar?
$3150 for a short block-$129 for an Eddy intake-$900 for the Stealth heads so far... I think I may be able to put this together for about $5500-$6000.
I don't think that's too bad.
Dan

Bradster

Quote from: PA Dodger on August 09, 2010, 07:35:54 PM
While at Carlisle I saw Indy Cylinder Heads offers a 470 short block stroker setup for $3150. I was already planning doing this with an old 400 block I have and a stroker rotating assy. I already have a set of 84cc Stealth heads and this short block is 9.5:1 when using 84cc heads.

So, after the rotating assy purchase, and all the block hot tank,freeze plugs, machining, etc... I'll be around the same price give or take a little.  I don't think Indy would sell junk. Is this short block worth it? Would the compression be good enough for pump gas or do I need more for the aluminum heads? Any else I need to consider?

Dan   

Hey Dan i'm in the State of PA as well, on the Souther eastern area. I don't know the first thing about building an engine and could do some basic stuff (timing chain, head gasket) But I've researched engine shops in the area a great deal. I'd give these guys a look see, they are in Jersey if your not too far.  They seem to be the best around. I plan on seeing them about a 440 when the time comes  http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/