News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Demolition of historic St louis plant

Started by moparstuart, July 30, 2010, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

It's a sad day indeed.  

Apparently, demolition begins shortly on the historical Chrysler St. Louis assembly plant where many of our beloved muscle cars were born, my 69 charger ,  1969 Road Runner  70 birdible and 70 coupe Road runner  included.

This news from moparts.com - link    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6112355&an=0&page=0#Post6112355
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

Everything and everyone becomes history at some point :rotz:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemigeno

My friend Rich and I were just talking about that last night.  I've been going by there four times a week since May through last week, and nothing had been happening.  Sounds like it will be gone soon though, as it made the news stations this week also.

I had heard rumors about Ford producing something from that facility, but supposedly the North plant (opened in '67 or so??) is a lot better suited for continued production than the South plant which opened in '59.  The demo is just slated for the South plant IIRC, so maybe there's a chance a part of it will survive.

I'm so glad I had the chance to attend the 2004 plant open house, and get my St. Louis-built R/T back inside the plant one last time.  Were you there Stuart?  I know a contingent of guys from KC came down including Wayne P. & the Drakes, but I don't remember if you were able to make it or not.

Sad news.  

tan top

remember reading & seeing pictures of the st.loius mopar gatthering !  in one of the mopar mags around that time i think ,  was a good picture of  the cars lined up like they were coming down the production line  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on July 30, 2010, 11:02:30 AM
My friend Rich and I were just talking about that last night.  I've been going by there four times a week since May through last week, and nothing had been happening.  Sounds like it will be gone soon though, as it made the news stations this week also.

I had heard rumors about Ford producing something from that facility, but supposedly the North plant (opened in '67 or so??) is a lot better suited for continued production than the South plant which opened in '59.  The demo is just slated for the South plant IIRC, so maybe there's a chance a part of it will survive.

I'm so glad I had the chance to attend the 2004 plant open house, and get my St. Louis-built R/T back inside the plant one last time.  Were you there Stuart?  I know a contingent of guys from KC came down including Wayne P. & the Drakes, but I don't remember if you were able to make it or not.

Sad news.  
Yes mike invited a group of HPAC  cars I  was there for the open house (family day )  in  99 ? and in 04  had the 69 road runner parked on the assemble line  . It was very cool they fed us gave us tours and freebee's .  I have pictures but its before the digital camera days so I dont know were they are  .

471_Magnum

Sad, but in some sense, overdue. Even if Chrysler were still producing cars there, that facility would have had to been considered outdated, which was a driver of its closing.

That being said, it was the birth place of the majority of Mopars I've owned, including my first '69 Charger, my '70 Satellite, both my '71 GTXs, and my Roadrunner.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

moparstuart

Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 30, 2010, 11:54:07 AM
Sad, but in some sense, overdue. Even if Chrysler were still producing cars there, that facility would have had to been considered outdated, which was a driver of its closing.

That being said, it was the birth place of the majority of Mopars I've owned, including my first '69 Charger, my '70 Satellite, both my '71 GTXs, and my Roadrunner.
it had actually had lots of updates and they had just spent a bunch of money on it when it closed .  ,  The north plant did have more money spent on it so is the logical choice to keep when choosing .

68X426

My Road Runner was born March 15, 1968 at St. Louis. We'll all miss the "G" factory. :'(

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

694spdRT

It was the birthplace of my '69 R/T as well on 7/8/1969.   :'(
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Alaskan_TA

That bottom photo is Hamtramck, St. Louis did not make Darts that year.  ;)

68X426

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 30, 2010, 02:00:10 PM

Wow! I believe you. :icon_smile_wink:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

kab69440

Anyone live near there that would care to grab a brick from the demolition and send it to me? :'(
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

41husk

I doubt for insurance reasons any one not involved with the demo will get close.  What do you thing Geno?  I would love to have some piece of memorabilia for the mopad.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Here's how you can get all the memorabilia you want:

>  Stay out all night on a drinking binge
>  Wear your worst pair of jeans & boots, plus an obnoxious Tee with holes in it - preferably having worn them the night before (see above)
>  Bring a hard hat (drag it behind your car or truck for a few miles to get the right look), safety glasses and work gloves
>  Show up mid-morning
>  Drive up on site and tell them "the office just sent me down to the jobsite -- where's the Laborer foreman?"

As big as that place is, you'll be able to roam around for hours without problem.

MoParJW

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 30, 2010, 02:00:10 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are Satellites, the 2nd car could even be my car...  :icon_smile_wink:
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Alaskan_TA

Look in the back ground & you will see cars on a second assembly line. Hamtramck was the only plant with two lines.  ;)

41husk

Quote from: hemigeno on July 30, 2010, 05:53:20 PM

>  Stay out all night on a drinking binge
>  Wear your worst pair of jeans & boots, plus an obnoxious Tee with holes in it - preferably having worn them the night before (see above)
>  Bring a hard hat (drag it behind your car or truck for a few miles to get the right look), safety glasses and work gloves
>  Show up mid-morning
>  Drive up on site and tell them "the office just sent me down to the jobsite -- where's the Laborer foreman?"

As big as that place is, you'll be able to roam around for hours without problem.

Might be a better idea to find out who has the contract, Spiritis, Uriosity, etc. Contact them and see what they can do.  Geno, when will they begin demolition?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MoParJW

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 30, 2010, 06:11:19 PM
Look in the back ground & you will see cars on a second assembly line. Hamtramck was the only plant with two lines.  ;)

ok I'm convinced.. thanks for bursting my bubble, I was hoping that was my car in the picture  :lol:
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

UFO

Quote from: 41husk on July 30, 2010, 06:13:21 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on July 30, 2010, 05:53:20 PM

>  Stay out all night on a drinking binge
>  Wear your worst pair of jeans & boots, plus an obnoxious Tee with holes in it - preferably having worn them the night before (see above)
>  Bring a hard hat (drag it behind your car or truck for a few miles to get the right look), safety glasses and work gloves
>  Show up mid-morning
>  Drive up on site and tell them "the office just sent me down to the jobsite -- where's the Laborer foreman?"

Might be a better idea to find out who has the contract, Spiritis, Uriosity, etc. Contact them and see what they can do.  Geno, when will they begin demolition?

Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is for permission.
Or slip a worker a few bucks and have him toss a few over the fence.

HOTROD

Hay that sounds like a good Idea bricks were do you see bricks ??
That place has been gutted so many times and i helped in 1985 but i think i can walk right through the rear gate !!??
What the Hell-Dumass !