News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with tires/rims

Started by viper r/t, July 18, 2010, 10:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper r/t

I know this topic has been done to death on here, but I would really like to find some deff. answers instead of relying on diff. threads before I buy a new set of wheels. The rims in question are boss 338's, I saw where someone put a set on a roadrunner and I really liked it. As I understand it, these rims are only avaliable in 18's and up correct? Truthfully when it comes to rims and tire sizes I'm pretty much clueless on them on what looks good on a 2nd gen. I was thinking about checking on a set of the chrome 338's for my '68. So i guess the really important questions are these, what size tires and rims do I need to fill out my wheel wells for the front and back. I don't want to have to modify the wheel wells or run spacers or anything like that. I've got drum brakes all the way around if that makes a diff. What about backspace, offset and everything else thats important that I don't really know alot about lol.
Thanks in advance for any help  ;)
Pics. would be a huge help also

SRT-440

It was prolly my RR you saw...but you'd be safe with the 18x8 with 4.5" backspacing and 18x9.5 with 5" backspacing. You can also look at coyswheel.com they look just like Boss 338 except they may be just a tad more expensive. I know that on the front you can run a 245/40/18 with no problems..I'm running a 285/40/18 on the rear of my RR but I have the inner lip on the quarter panel shaved off for more room..but you might still be able to run that size. Perhaps you should wait for someones opinion on the rear tires that actually has a charger.

But your good with the wheels they'll go on with no problems..I bought mine from a ebay store but there are lots of places that sell them..just do a google search. And make sure what lug pattern you have..I think all b bodies came with 5x4.5.
I'm not sure if they come in anything smaller than a 18..but they might...I know the coys wheels do.

Hope this helps!
Rick
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

WHITE AND RED 69

I run a 285/40/18 on the rear thats 10" wide with 5.5" backspace and lowered an inch with no modifications.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

viper r/t

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 19, 2010, 01:55:59 PM
I run a 285/40/18 on the rear thats 10" wide with 5.5" backspace and lowered an inch with no modifications.

Don't suppose you have any close ups of yours do ya?

WHITE AND RED 69

Here are a few I already had but if you need more just let me know and I'll get the camera out.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

viper r/t

Oh wow, thanks so much. Those look really good. I don't mean to be a bother but what size are you running on the front? If you have pics. of those thats great but don't take any just because of me. So if I order the boss 338s 18 X 9.5 for the rear with a 285/40/18 with 5.5" bs. it will look almost like yours? Because I do not think boss makes a 18x10.Just wanting to make sure because I'd really like it to look close to yours. I heard a 245/40/18 would look good on a charger, but like I said that's just what I've heard.. Also what about offset? Yea I'm a complete newb on this stuff  :icon_smile_blackeye:

thanks again for the help guys!!

WHITE AND RED 69

http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badly_coded_old_old_old_wheelguide.html

This guide helped me see how much backspace and offset would work. The guide lets you mess with what tire and rim size will fit on the rear of a charger.

As for my fronts they are 18x8 with a 4.75" backspace with a 245/40 tire. a 4.5" will work as well. I know I have some pics around I will just need to search for them.

a 245 tire with 9.5 wide rim will work but for me I wanted a little extra tire sticking out to protect the rim just in case so I went with the 285 for the rear. For the 9.5" rim a 5.25" backspace would make it close to how mine looks but would be about 1/4" more inside the wheel well and give better clearance all around and a 5.5" would make it about an 1/2" inside.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

viper r/t

Okay guys,, after a few days of checking around etc, I think I may be leaning toward the tried and true cragar s/s, or torq thrust in 15 inch. Would anybody happen to have any pics of chargers with these and sizes, backspace info included?