News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

overcharging regulator question

Started by XH29N0G, April 11, 2012, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I just replaced the heads and created an overcharging problem.  The ammeter on the dash rises to more than +40 when the rpm are above 1000.  I checked the voltage with battery connected and the reading was 16.8 V.  I checked the alternator field connections (green and blue wires) and when both are disconnected, neither is continuous to ground. 

I have ordered another votage regulator and will pick it up and replace it tomorrow, but I want to know if there are other tests I should do in case I inadvertently disconnected a wire when replacing the heads.

Other information: the alternator and regulator are stock, the wiring is original, the alternator was replaced in December. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

charger Downunder

My regulator went and i didn't notice it until i could smell a really bad smell popped the hood and i cooked the battery by over charging.
[/quote]

BrianShaughnessy

Way back when Sinnamon was my daily ride...    it had a wicked overcharging problem.      It had been converted to dual field / electronic volt regulator previously with some hacked up wiring making a 69 into a 70 equivalent.  I fought it for a long time and had changed everything but the wiring.

Short version:   rotted connection inside the black plug for the blue and green field wires that go to the voltage regulator.   Repair harness pigtails are available from parts stores and / or ebay.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

XH29N0G

Thank you both.  This gives me some good ideas on how to proceed.  I'll see if changing the regulator fixes it and then look at the wiring, which I think I understand from a manual I have.  (Also as an aside to Charger downunder:  if I can get visa's sorted, I'll be heading to Perth with my family for June/July/August.)

Or maybe it protects us. 

charger Downunder

I am on the east coast Sydney the other side of the country we have a member in Perth Western Australia doctor4766.
You might want to drop in while your over.
[/quote]

XH29N0G

A quick thank you.  On your suggestions, I checked the continuity of the wires which was OK, and then when I swapped the regulator swap the problem was solved.  Thanks also for the note on Australia.  I hope we get to Sydney, too, but I know it is a long way.

Or maybe it protects us.