News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger Ralley questions

Started by voyageur1688, July 29, 2010, 07:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voyageur1688

Can anyone here help me to find production breakdowns on the 72 Charger Ralley? (has rust but has only 36,800 original miles) My nephews and I are getting ready to start restoring the one my deceased brother had and would like more information on it. It was built with 340, 4 spd, posi, hemi orange, white vinyl front half top, black interior, manual steering and manual 4 wheel drum brakes and apparently the rear windows that roll down were an extra option from what I have been told. I do know the Ralley is a somewhat scarce car but have had a few people tell me this one is a 1 of a kind with this combination. Is this or could this actually be true?
Also, where can we find good quality replacement rear quarter panels and front fenders?  Are the Ralley fenders the same as on a regular Charger or are they different.
Thank you for any help on this one.
Voy

NHCharger

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

1,527 Rallye, 340-4 cars.
Hemi Orange with a white canopy roof is an odd combo.
AMD is now repopping the quarters, don't buy the el cheapo hand made ones on e-bay.
No one makes the front fenders at this point and yes all 71/72 Charger fenders are the same.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ralley72

We need pictures please.

Sounds like a great car. No difference from Rallye fenders to regular Charger fenders Wish I still had mine. :brickwall:

Mike

Welcome to the site
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

gschmidt211

Here is a good place to start. 

http://www.dodgechargerregistry.com/72%20versions.htm

If your windows do not roll down, I do believe that is a coupe.  With that, the production numbers were low.  That alone gets you down to 1 of 460.  The color combo and drivetrain will also get you into 1 of only a few I am sure.  If your vin starts with WL21, then you have a coupe. 

Sorry to hear about your brother.  Good luck with the car and I look forward to hearing more about your progress with the car.

Good luck and I am sure I speak for everyone when I say some pictures would be really cool. 

Not cut in on NHCharger, but 71/72 fenders are different.  The cutouts for the marker lights are different.  They are the same in all other aspects.
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

voyageur1688

The rear windows do roll down. I had heard lately that there were about 1500 340 cars built but that either 285 or 165 340-4 cars built.  We lost my brother 18 yrs ago this Sept. and his wife took off with the kids and we couldnt find them but kept the cars for them all these years to give to them if we ever found them again. Well about a year and a half ago they found us. Sadly the other vehicles we had saved for them were stolen by a former friend of a friend and stripped and crushed before we even knew they were gone. Luckily this one survived. Unfortunately the outer panels are very rough, but somehow the floor pan, frame etc all did great. If I hadnt looked under it myself I would have called the car a lost cause but somehow there isnt a single rust hole on the underside. Dont have any pics and am very ashamed of its current condition. It had the same rust when my brother died and it hasnt spread much at all.
I am afraid if you see its current condition you all will say to junk it--but we cant and wont do that.
Voy

gschmidt211

I bought my car a year ago.  It was in rough shape and in a bone yard.  However, after looking deeper into the car, it seemed very worthy of a rebuild.  It is my first project.  It will take a long time for me to put it back together, but I guess I am in it for the long haul.  

Pictures of my car from date of purchase to right about now.

http://gallery.me.com/gschmidt211#100047

Since you have a hardtop, the production numbers are a bit higher.  According to the site I linked, there were 3431 Rallye Hardtops produced in 1972.  That is still pretty low.  With your drivetrain and color combo, the car is still probably one of a couple hundred, maybe lower.  I am not sure where people get actual color, option, etc production numbers.  

The panels can be repaired.  If the frames and structure are pretty solid, you should have a pretty good base to start with if you want to do a project.  Some of the cars I have seen and what has been done to bring them back is truly amazing.   It sounds like it has a lot of family history and sentimental value.  

No worries about the shape of the car now.  People who know and love these cars know how to look past any problems and see all the potential.

Good luck.  
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

NHCharger

gs is right on the cut outs for the side marker lights, although a 71 fender could be used if you filled in the cut out.
Also I'm not sure on those production numbers now, might be only 328, I shouldn't be looking up info when I'm that tired.
There are a few guys on the board that really know their 72 Rallye stuff, I'm sure they can provide you with some good info.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

1972Rallye

Voy-

I run a Database/Registry for 72 Rallyes.  I can help you get production number break-downs with some additional info from you.  You can either post a pic of your Fender tag and/or Broadcast sheet or send them directly to me at 7172charger@michiganmoparmuscle.com

Of course we all love pics of chargers - in any condition.  Never be ashamed to post what you have.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

voyageur1688

Will see what I can do for pics.  All the help and welcomes are greatly appreciated.
Voy