News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here a remake, there a remake. Hollywood running short on new ideas?......>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, January 30, 2010, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelRW

In addition to the remakes, I really dislike how so many of the films released in the past few years have been filmed so dark. I want to see what is going on, look at the set, scenery, etc. Which leads me to believe this is done to produce less costly movies, i.e., the level of detail does not have to be there since you can't see it anyways. And lastly, special effects are way over used to the detriment of the acting and script.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

MoparManJim

Plus they are bring back xXx with xXx 3, cage returns. But I thought cage was you know what in part 2 after what they said.  

Landonsrt

HES BACK FROM THE DEAD BABY!!! First one sucked. Second one was Horrid. Most movies are with Ice Cube..

If they do another DOH, please do not use JACKASS!

Mike DC

QuoteIn addition to the remakes, I really dislike how so many of the films released in the past few years have been filmed so dark. I want to see what is going on, look at the set, scenery, etc. Which leads me to believe this is done to produce less costly movies, i.e., the level of detail does not have to be there since you can't see it anyways. And lastly, special effects are way over used to the detriment of the acting and script.

Honestly I doubt they're cheating on the detail with that darkness.  That decision about the production design is generally being made much higher up than the people who deal with the details of the props & CGI work.  I think it's just a symptom of the general artistic mood of the people in that industry.  

Somebody did a study a couple years ago pointing out that if Hollywood just did everything for the money, then the money dictates they should be making WAY, WAY less R-rated movies and way more family-friendly stuff.  But the industry is ruled by theater geeks & fanboys lately.

MichaelRW

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 08, 2010, 08:54:34 PM
QuoteIn addition to the remakes, I really dislike how so many of the films released in the past few years have been filmed so dark. I want to see what is going on, look at the set, scenery, etc. Which leads me to believe this is done to produce less costly movies, i.e., the level of detail does not have to be there since you can't see it anyways. And lastly, special effects are way over used to the detriment of the acting and script.

Honestly I doubt they're cheating on the detail with that darkness.  That decision about the production design is generally being made much higher up than the people who deal with the details of the props & CGI work.  I think it's just a symptom of the general artistic mood of the people in that industry.  

Somebody did a study a couple years ago pointing out that if Hollywood just did everything for the money, then the money dictates they should be making WAY, WAY less R-rated movies and way more family-friendly stuff.  But the industry is ruled by theater geeks & fanboys lately.

Then I hope their mood improves quickly.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

chargerboy69

Found this on The Drudge Report.  Looks like Chris Nolan, the director of the last two Batman movies, is helping out with the new Superman movie.  They even mentioned a future Justice League movie.  Now that would be cool to see.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

John Carpenter stands to make some money for doing next to nothing. Strike Entertainment has bought the rights and production is underway on a "The Thing" prequel (which was itself a remake) and a "They Live" remake.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/511632/the_thing_prequel_gets_release_date.html
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i5a49077a0f8280a031ce1d89cd323f17

Brock Samson

I know a guy who works at Lucas Studios and we were discussing this just last night. they have a ten year calender with so many releases scheduled per year and as time goes along they just fill in the details.
 I thought the War of the Worlds remake was pretty well done, and the newest technology in film making can make a pretty convincing alien, like in District 9 or Avatar. When the big guns turn their attention and big budgets to a film it can be quite a good remake, but still it's gonna be out on DVD and they'll be a video game before too long. Adults don't buy action figures of the leading stars in love stories is the point I'm trying to make.
 Some other movies are pretty obvious throwaways like this new Drive Angry movie, probably some folks will like it cause it's got some "Cool" musclecars and a hot babe but I will put money on the fact it's probably a result of a ten minute lunch meeting after someone saw a you tube clip of Mikes' Bullrun adventure and thought,  :scratchchin: "Hey, we got a couple Chargers left over from Death Proof"!  :laugh: and Nick need the dough for IRS fines doesn't he?..
Anyhow, I suspect the basic Target Audience is the kids with disposable income IE: teens - so date movies and action flicks, those which will be suitable to merchandising spin offs and sequels, like the Midnight series or that teen High School Musical franchise, or Harry Potter, or Narnia or such,..

interesting reading:

http://www.truth-out.org/how-disney-magic-and-corporate-media-shape-youth-identity-digital-age62008

The Hobbit (the forward to Lord of the Rings) is due out before long - but personally I'm anxiously awaiting the big budget Ghost in the  Shell

which if done correctly should be pretty awesome, though the once extremely innovative story is over twenty years old now, and many elements have been co-opted by the Matrix franchise and others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell
Me?.. I'd like to see a movie about the Marsh and Cope dinosaur "Bone Wars" myself, i think it would make a great movie.
            http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosaurdiscovery/a/bonewars.htm