News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 swap

Started by jpsycoboy5, July 23, 2010, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsycoboy5

I got a 440 out of a motor home going to drop in 73 se my question is when buying parts do I look for motor home or charger parts like stRter alt etc
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

TylerCharger69

Can you tell us what the original engine was for that car?    Because if it was a small block....You will need different upper hardware for the motor mounts.   I think everything else is pretty much the same as far as starters, etc.....Now....since this is a motor home engine, the compression ratio will be considerably lower than a 1969 440 HP engine, so you may want to swap out pistons, camshaft....etc.....And the heads may need some work as well.....I'm speaking in terms of if you want to replicate the power of the actual 69 440.

jpsycoboy5

It was a 318 and I  already in the process of building it up just wanted to make sure the car version will bolt onto motorhome engine

TylerCharger69

Yes.....it will...but As stated before...you will need the upper motor mount hardware to accomodate the 440 since the 318 pieces wont work.

tradercraig

are you planning to use a 4 speed behind that 440? the motor home 440's were all automatics, and usually the tail of the crank was not drilled to accept a pilot bushing...it is difficult to drill the tail area, but i have done it once successfully, and once not so successfully...(i hit the oil passageway...had to make unusual repair...drilled small hole into oilway, thread and plug with small plug and anaerobic sealer...)also, a 440 will now require different trans, probably bigger driveshaft, etc..

ACUDANUT

Motor mounts from Shumacker, different oil pan and pick tube. Exhaust manifolds. Get these parts and your in business....Then you will need a BB 727 out of a car.

Nacho-RT74

passenger side inner fender is diff, but will fit in.

Then of ocurse will need bigger radiator, modify engine harness, all miscelaneous parts brackets ( if doesn't come with them ) etc...

starter... will work
as stated, need a BB tranny ( if auto )

BB K members are diff since 73 from SB, BUT as stated, Schumachers ( http://engine-swaps.com/ ) sells the propper mounts to them. NOTE, THEY ARE NOT STOCK PIECES, THEY ARE MADE TO FIT PIECES due the diff location of engine mounts between those K members.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jpsycoboy5

Ok so all of the accessories will work that's good I was thinking about a 4 speed but it would be pretty expensive or atleast me looking looked expensive. Could you guys recommend a decent priced radiator that will cool the 440? Also I thought the k members were the same in both bb and sb chargers? Also one last thing what was meant by the left inner fender is different?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on July 25, 2010, 11:47:19 AM
Ok so all of the accessories will work that's good

except distributor ( if you call that an acc LOL )... but basically needs just brackets.

Also I thought the k members were the same in both bb and sb chargers? Also one last thing what was meant by the left inner fender is different?

just since 73, B body K member changed on one engine mount location... I think passenger as far I recall.

Yes, BB cars passenger side inner fenders has a big cutout covered with a rubber matt, instead the small plate cover the SB cars got. Everyone of us has been wondering about the reason of that. The mostly agreement it has been because get clearence to replace sparkplugs with rachet and extension at least in one side easily LOL ( and it look is is for that )

NOTE:

depending on what kind of setup you want to build, 73 and lates ORIGINALLY came with lower water pump inlet at passenger side, SOOOO take in mind the correct brackets setup specially for belt aligment with steering pump. 72 and earliers got the water pump housing inlet on DRIVER SIDE, so steering pump got a diff height location due this, and diff crank pulley groove use. Also depending on if is AC or not, this will change too. 72 and earlier BB cars with AC got an iddler pulley JUST for the water pump belt, for a while 73 and lates BB cars didn't got an iddler pulley around... except SOME 74s, dunno why just SOME, what it got an iddler pulley between AC and Alt, mounted on AC bracket... well really wasn't a iddler in all the word extension, it was really a basic pulley I think, to save the LARGE lenght of this run and prevent the belts slaping when AC was turned on.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 26, 2010, 01:19:34 AM
Ok so all of the accessories will work that's good

except distributor ( if you call that an acc LOL )... but basically needs just brackets.

Also I thought the k members were the same in both bb and sb chargers? Also one last thing what was meant by the left inner fender is different?

just since 73, B body K member changed on one engine mount location... I think passenger as far I recall.

Yes, BB cars passenger side inner fenders has a big cutout covered with a rubber matt, instead the small plate cover the SB cars got. Everyone of us has been wondering about the reason of that. The mostly agreement it has been because get clearence to replace sparkplugs with rachet and extension at least in one side easily LOL ( and it look is is for that )

NOTE:

depending on what kind of setup you want to build, 73 and lates ORIGINALLY came with lower water pump inlet at passenger side, SOOOO take in mind the correct brackets setup specially for belt aligment with steering pump. 72 and earliers got the water pump housing inlet on DRIVER SIDE, so steering pump got a diff height location due this, and diff crank pulley groove use. Also depending on if is AC or not, this will change too. 72 and earlier BB cars with AC got an iddler pulley JUST for the water pump belt, for a while 73 and lates BB cars didn't got an iddler pulley around... except SOME 74s, dunno why just SOME, what it got an iddler pulley between AC and Alt, mounted on AC bracket... well really wasn't a iddler in all the word extension, it was really a basic pulley I think, to save the LARGE lenght of this run and prevent the belts slaping when AC was turned on.

So nacho i need the distributor off a 73 charger or the motor home? So i wiill need the motor mounts from shumaker not the stock mounts?  This engine is out of a 76 motor home i got the powerstearing pump water pump and etc from the motorhome will these fit and or work in my charger?  One last thing nacho i read your post about the altenator upgrade could you recomend an alternator for me i'd like a higher amp one just tot leave room to upgrade thanks nacho and everyone else for all the replies

ACUDANUT

Also remember, A motorhome engine is towing engine. Not a fast HP type.

jpsycoboy5

I knew it's different but will it be dog slow? Like all torque no speed

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on July 28, 2010, 01:53:03 PM

So nacho i need the distributor off a 73 charger or the motor home? So i wiill need the motor mounts from shumaker not the stock mounts?  This engine is out of a 76 motor home i got the powerstearing pump water pump and etc from the motorhome will these fit and or work in my charger?  One last thing nacho i read your post about the altenator upgrade could you recomend an alternator for me i'd like a higher amp one just tot leave room to upgrade thanks nacho and everyone else for all the replies

you need the matching dist. So the mrotohome one.

yes, shumacher mounts not stock ones. Sotck one CAN PROBABLY FIT but pretty much tigh and with some issues as has been noted.

water pump, and miscelaneous stuff from the Motor home... dunno how motorhomes are setup. Maybe yes. without pics is hard to me to say it, I never have dealt personally with MH engines. Water pump housings are easy to find around anyway. Alternator... maybe MH alreday got a High Output one, maybe in fact the LEECE NEVILLE one, what is 100 amps. they are not easy to come by around WITH BRACKETS. Alts are availables at parts shops thought. These uses a VERY DIFF BRACKET SETUP for the alt and those are the real hard part to find.

lates 440 dogs ? well if you change the camshaft for the MP Resto Cam you are done to get a better engine like any 72/74 440 HP. Some other modern grind cams are also able to give you more power on a low CR 440. Dunno about MH engine compressions though. I think they are the same than 73/74s CR. Another upgrades to get a 72/73 440HP are valve springs, double timming chain setup, windage tray and HP manifold exhaust. I'm guessing it is already 4 bbls engine. You can make a refreshing on it without need to get into a rebuilt and will have lot of fun from it on the cheap.

NOTE, I'M, NOT THE MECHANIC EXPERT, lot of ppl is mooooooooooooooooooooooore, in fact REALLY experienced on this. I just can barelly talk about setups.

ACUDANUT

The distributors are the same. If you have or don't have electronic Ignition would be the only issue. :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 29, 2010, 04:43:36 PM
The distributors are the same. If you have or don't have electronic Ignition would be the only issue. :Twocents:

???

we are talking about 318 and 440... I think

ACUDANUT

I was talking about his 440 from the motorhome. What 318 ?

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 02, 2010, 10:09:22 AM
I was talking about his 440 from the motorhome. What 318 ?

This one:
Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on July 23, 2010, 09:05:53 PM
It was a 318 and I  already in the process of building it up just wanted to make sure the car version will bolt onto motorhome engine

You'll need everything attached to the 440. The kick down linkage will be essential. The motor will have electronic ignition so grab the wiring and ECU as well if you can. These aren't absolutely necessary but you do want that distributor! The accessory mounts may not have the best location for a car but your 318 brackets and pulleys definitely won't work. The motor home heads might be different as well. The ones I looked at recently had extra cooling passages and a massive tube to connect everything. No way would it work (or look right) in a car. If your car currently has A/C you'll have the bigger radiator but (if I remember right) the hoses are in different locations.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.