News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood barking brake broblem

Started by LUMI, June 12, 2010, 03:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LUMI

i have dana 60 axle, offset 2.72, Wilwood rear brake set with 120-6816 Calipers 160-5844 rotors and 170-1827 rotor hats whitout parking brake now i would need to update it to parking brake version (to get it road legal in Finland) is it possible and with what parts?

Wilwood has only kits with offset 2.36 or 2.5 with barking brake

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=7144
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemno=10767

can i use these?

GTX5150

Lumi, I used wilwood kit # 140-7144 on my '68 gtx with 8.75 rear end. Installation was a breeze, I had the axle out and on the bench at the time. You will have to make or buy the clevis' to attach the stock cables. 12.16" rotors all the way around, stops as good as it goes. Let me know if you want pic's, I'll have to find them on my other computer.
Hey, at least it's a B body.

GTX5150

Lumi, as I recall when I did mine wilwood has different thickness spacers and need your offset measurement to send the correct ones. I purchased mine through a different company and didn't know about this, luckily they fit with the spacers that came with my kit. Also, you will need to change to the green axle bearings if you haven't already.

GTX5150

My mistake, I don't think you have to worry about the bearings with the Dana.

LUMI

yes i bought the 2.36 set and modified it to fit
now i would need the handbrake cable, where could i get one and what part number?

GTX5150

You can get them here:
http://www.inlinetube.com/

They will have a ball end so you will have to use a clevis to attach them to the wilwood levers. Here's a couple pic's of what I made for mine. They're not fancy but they work fine.

LUMI

OK thanx
so the original cables will work on wilwood set by that clevis to attach them to the wilwood levers
i have no cables at all now
but i think that http://www.inlinetube.com/ dont send to europe :brickwall:
i will have to order a set from Summit or somewhere else

GTX5150

Summit has these, they look like they might work.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Parking-Brake-Cable-Clevis-Kits/

Good luck with your brakes, I hope it all goes well.

LUMI

yes
but now i would need to find dealer who sends to Europe that cable set :flame:
Summit would but doesnt have on stock right now and i am abit hurry with this to get the car road leagal :o

GTX5150

Dante's has a listing as well as Year One but I would be surprised if they have them in stock. It looks like both places will ship overseas.

http://www.dantesparts.com/parkingbrakecable.html

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

bill440rt

Hey GTX5150, did you have any issues with the centering hub on the axles with the Wilwood rotors? How about the holes for the wheel studs?
I have a 140-10767 kit on order right now, essentially the same as the 140-7144 kit but with a 2.5" offset. I've been hearing horror stories thru Moser and Reilly Motorsports that some machining is necessary to get the kit to fit properly.
Can you shed some light on this??
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

GTX5150

Lumi,

No problems at all, It fit like a glove. I thought I had a problem with the rotor centering in the caliper and called wilwood, that's when I found out about the different thickness brkts. I went to check the offset and realized that the problem was me and not the brakes. As for the lug holes and center they fit fine. I'm very happy with the wilwood brakes, they went on easy and stop great.

LUMI

now i have hadbrake on my Charger
got the cable yesterday
had to modify everything :icon_smile_big:
my Dana had differend flange boltcircle so i had to drill new holes and the bearing was bigger 80mm so it did not go throught the bracket so i cut it to get it to fit  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Dude, is that a ZIP TIE holding your emergency brake cable together??  :o
Wow, that's scary stuff. Please don't take that personally, but you might want to devise something more secure.

GTX5150, can you please tell me where you found those clevis brackets you have?? I ordered my brake kit with the cable kit, wouldn't they work with the calipers then? Still don't have my brakes yet to verify...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

LUMI

Quote from: bill440rt on July 23, 2010, 07:59:31 AM
Dude, is that a ZIP TIE holding your emergency brake cable together??  :o
Wow, that's scary stuff. Please don't take that personally, but you might want to devise something more secure.
:icon_smile_big: oh yes they are :rofl:

i made those clevits myself it is a L angle steel i used those ZIP TIEs to hold the cable on place when tighten the cable now when it is on it place it wont get loose ::)

today i got the car road leagel on Finnish Motor Vehicle Inspection which is not an easy thing :brickwall:

GTX5150

Lumi, Congratulations! Do you have a problem with the clevis coming off the lever? I made mine with a ? shape to get a straighter pull on the clevis.

Bill 440RT, I made them from a bracket left over from building my gate. I think I got it at Home Depot ;) I didn't want to pay $35 +shpg from Summit on ones I wasn't sure would work.

LUMI

Quote from: GTX5150 on July 25, 2010, 12:26:21 AM

Lumi, Congratulations! Do you have a problem with the clevis coming off the lever? I made mine with a ? shape to get a straighter pull on the clevis.

no they dont come off

what master cylinder and front brakes do you have?

i think will have to change the master cylinder next and front calipers, now they are ssbc stuff and the brakes are not good enough :flame:

i will put the Wilwood calipers i cot from the old rear set to front with 12.19 disk (not bigger with 15 rims) so i have same calipers front and back only on front 1.75 pistons and rear 1.38

i will have to find bracket for the calipers and hub where to mount these old rear rotors

i have allready 1" tandem Wilwood master, Wilwood proportion valve and lineloc waiting for :yesnod:

GTX5150

Lumi, I got my master cylinder from Wilwood and their adjustable proportioning valve. The front brakes are Wilwood 12.19" also.  you will have to use their hub and brackets to make it work. If you use their hoses you will need to get the correct fittings as well, I'll dig out my invoice and get you the part numbers if you need them. I'll post some pic's of the front hubs when I find them. It's a pretty nice looking setup for something most people will never see. 

GTX5150

Bill440RT, I looked on Wilwood's website when I did mine and didn't see anything that would work so I just made them. It was pretty easy.

GTX5150

Lumi, here's the hubs. I didn't find a pic of the brackets.

LUMI

OK thanx
nice looking set  :cheers:
i found partnumbers from Wilwood website, would need a whole set whitout calipers and rotors, but it might be easier to buy whole thing and sell those extra calipers and keep rotors as a spare :brickwall: