News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rabid raccoon?

Started by RECHRGD, July 25, 2010, 12:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

My little 12 pound dog needed to go outside around 4:00am this morning.  I take him out and when he's walking off the deck I saw two big eyes in my flashlight beam on the lawn.  I quickly went and picked the dog up and put him back on the deck.  Now picture this; I'm now on the lawn and I hear this kind of snarling noise.  I turn around and this raccoon is running straight at me with ill intent.  It was going for my bare ankles, but I danced out of the way and hit it with the flashlight.  It kept it up until the 3rd hit with the flashlight made him scurry off making some weird noise.  I wasn't bitten, but without the flashlight, I'm sure I would have been.  You've never seen a 62 year old man in his boxer shorts move so fast.  I don't think raccoons are naturally aggressive towards humans are they?  I'm thinking this thing had to be rabid.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bakerhillpins

I going to have to agree with you that its not normal behavior for a raccoon. The ones around here are not interested in any altercations with humans. You may want to call your local PD or Fish & Game division and let them know what happened.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 25, 2010, 12:52:18 PM
I going to have to agree with you that its not normal behavior for a raccoon. The ones around here are not interested in any altercations with humans. You may want to call your local PD or Fish & Game division and let them know what happened.

They'll "look into it" Local PD is not most reliable PD, don't ask me how I know
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Tilar

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 25, 2010, 12:09:45 PM
I don't think raccoons are naturally aggressive towards humans are they?  I'm thinking this thing had to be rabid.   Bob

Unless she was out there with some babies which could be very possible.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

charger_fan_4ever

those can be mean SOB's. Years ago a neighbour set up a metal bear trap as he had one snatching chickens. The trap went off and snagged its leg. It then went on to climb up a tree wiuth the freaking trap still dug in deep. The old guy shot him with a .22 and it fell to the ground snarling. The old guy wacked it with a axe handle 5 or 6 times and it was still snarling. Shot it again and it was still going. The guy was out of breath and said screw it and walked off. Ended up eventually dieing. My dad showed up when he was takin the handle to it.

I'd never mess with a racoon. Badgers little brother.

Road Dog

In boxer shorts? You were just ask'n for it. :eek2:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

derailed

We found a rabid fox in the rail yard last week. Came right at a guy who was between cars coupling air hoses with no place to go. Luckily it ran across his feet and kept going. Later that night we found it laying there and thought it was dead but 10 minutes later it was stumbling around. Called the Albany PD and they were there in minutes excited to shoot it.

RECHRGD

Well, I just watched a show on TV about catching unwanted wild animals in neighborhoods.  They said that raccoons can and will be aggressive towards humans if they or their young feel threatened.  So I guess Road Dog is right, the boxer shorts did it.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

chargergirl

Rabies or Babies...neither way did it like the boxers...glad you and the dog are both ok!
Trust your Woobie!

skip68

Call animal control and tell them to bring out traps! Raccoons can tear a dog apart! Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Old Moparz

Running away from a raccoon & swatting it with a flashlight in your boxers......LOL   :smilielol:

Good thing he didn't get your dog.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

jeryst

Too bad you didnt get it on tape.
Woulda probably won $10k on funniest videos.

RallyeMike

I read that raccoons have a very high rabies infection rate. Definitely take caution around them.

On a personal story, I had a gray squirrel attack me 25 years ago and I still have a little bit of fear of the cute little buggers.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

chargergirl

Squirrels are rats with good PR!
Trust your Woobie!