News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was there any plating done on original fasteners?

Started by bull, July 25, 2010, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering if they did the zinc plating, or anything like it, on the original fasteners used on our cars?

bull

Troy

Yes. But I have no idea what exactly and where. I know many were black phosphate coated and I'm pretty sure a lot were yellow zinc. Bill Allphin (gtx6970), Maxwellwedge, and Hemigeno would know most - if not all - of the details like that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on July 26, 2010, 02:13:02 PM
Bill Allphin (gtx6970), Maxwellwedge, and Hemigeno would know most - if not all - of the details like that.

Well, the first two on Troy's list will know way more than me...

What fasteners are you curious about?  Most were coated with something, but exactly what coating it was depends totally on the fastener type and where it was located on the car.  Sometimes the washers were coated differently than the bolts/nuts too, so it'll drive you bananas trying to replicate every little detail.

DAMHIK    :brickwall:

While Jim/maxwellwedge will undoubtedly add that it's full of errors, a place to at least start researching the topic in detail is to check out MMC Detroit's reference materials at this link:

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/Market_Place/How_to_order.html

Kinda pricey in one sense, but it has taken a lot of time and effort to compile all the information.  I applaud Dave Wise & Co.'s efforts to put these manuals together, and hope that over time what errors it contains can be corrected.

maxwellwedge

Here is a copy of an article I co-wrote a few years ago.....I have since changed my mind on the tie-rod sleeves and hardware (should be Zinc-Phos) and maybe the hood catch/latch but it still looks good to go.   http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1209002197

bull

Quote from: hemigeno on July 26, 2010, 05:01:41 PM
What fasteners are you curious about?  Most were coated with something, but exactly what coating it was depends totally on the fastener type and where it was located on the car.  Sometimes the washers were coated differently than the bolts/nuts too, so it'll drive you bananas trying to replicate every little detail.

I'm not curious to the point that I'm trying to replicate each detail but I guess what I'm getting at was two fold. First, I was just curious if they were plated at all and what kind of life I could expect out of them if I had them plated again. This will help me decide what type of plating to go with next time. For example, maybe instead of zinc plating everything I would consider electroless nickel for more durability. But I'd like to know what they started with so I can know where to go from here. For now, though, I'm mostly curious about fender bolts and the special captive washer bolts found all over the engine (pan, timing cover, etc.) because that's where I'm at at the moment.

Second, regarding the fender bolts specifically, I need to know if they were painted over after assembly. I assume they were and now that I've had a little trouble with my inner fenders and had to take them off, I need to know more about the original process. In other words I bought a new set of fender bolts and speed nuts which are black zinc and I'm trying to figure out how to make them look like the rest of the engine compartment without compromising the zinc plating. However, if they simply used flat black zinc bolts at the factory I would do that (I might anyway).

bull

Troy

The fender bolts were painted with the car. At least one pro here airbrushes them after aligning it all to take care of any scratches and wear marks from reassembly.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

maxwellwedge

Troy is right - The cars were painted with fenders, doors, hood and decklid installed and aligned at the factory....And that's how we do them as well.

Bull - All the original fender bolts I have ever seen are Zinc-Phosphate plated. Your welcome for the link - hopefully it can help you.  :cheers:

bull

I was just reading that plating guide you linked and it said that "Zinc is also an excellent primer for painted surfaces..." so I will probably (I hate to say this) be rattle can painting my black zinc fender bolts. :P I don't really know what else to do short of having them airbrushed as Troy suggested.

BTW, thank you too Troy.

DC_1