News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

US to Canade, passport needed?

Started by dkn1997, July 11, 2010, 06:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

just like the title says....  my brother lives up niagra falls and thinks yes.  last time I went to canada was 20 yrs ago and you just showed your license...
RECHRGED

A383Wing

you will need passport.....we here in Washington State have to have either enhanced drivers license or passport (looking at the info, New York also does the Enhanced drivers license as well)

look here for info -->
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

dodgecharger-fan

A passport is best, but as a U.S. citizen to get into Canada, you just need to show proof of citizenship.
Getting back to the U.S. though the rules are a little different. Maybe just enough to cause you some trouble.

From Canada Border Services:

"When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States."

From www.cbp.gov and http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html:
"U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Have Changed- Make sure you are compliant today!

Simplify your travel checklist!

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person's identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver's license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards – NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Special Groups – Information for Children, Groups of Children, Native Americans, "Closed Loop" Cruises, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Merchant Mariners, Ferries and Small Boats, and Boaters.

Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth as possible."

It's sad that we have to think "for both sides" when planning a trip from which we wish to return.
If one had just read the Canadian rules, they could, conceivable end up not being allowed back into their own country. If one were to adhere to the rules, that should be happening every every day.

The fun part is when you get stuck between the two organizations.
When my nephew came back to Canada, from Australia, to get married, some of his friends and future in-laws came as well.
One friend decided to kill off an afternoon with a walk about.

He ended up on the bridge between the US and Canada in Niagara Falls.
It's very easy to walk across the bridge because the border patrol for the country that you are entering is always on "their" side of the bridge. There is actually nothing at all to stop you from getting on to the bridge. That's true when you're in a car as well.

So, he enjoys the walk across, gets some fantastic photos of the Falls, and arrives at US customs. They ask what he's doing and and asks for his passport after he tells them he's from Australia.
He points to the hotel back across the river and says, "It's in my hotel room."
After a little more questioning, they turn him back, not letting him into the US.

So, he strolls back across the bridge, gets some more photos of the Niagara Gorge, and arrives at Canada Border Patrol, where they ask him for his passport........
Almost 5 hours after starting his little walk about, and after lots of questioning and a phone call to have his passport brought to him - and some extensive scrutinizing, he was allowed back in to Canada.

He got some great shots of himself at the border demarc point in the middle of the bridge - right in no-man's land. :D

While that story is different from the case of have the wrong type of document rather than no document at all as in his case, I can see how at least some of the incident could play out.

chargerboy69

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 12, 2010, 02:07:50 PM

Getting back to the U.S. though the rules are a little different.

Thats right, you just have to know how to dig a tunnel or jump fences, or in some cases "virtual fences".  :icon_smile_big:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargergirl

Have to have a passport...the license is only good if you drive in the other country often and aren't ever going anywhere else.
Trust your Woobie!

moparjohn

Too much work for me, stayin home. LOL  That goes for flying too.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

rrob

Quote from: moparjohn on July 12, 2010, 07:20:50 PM
Too much work for me, stayin home. LOL  That goes for flying too.
Nothing to it John, and once you have the passport it is good for 5 years
69 charger, 440, automatic

nh_mopar_fan

General passports are good for 10 years, not 5.

They just hiked passport fees bigtime too.

twodko

Nowadays, always have your passport with you when you travel outside conus.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

chargerjy9

get a passport, all issues are solved then. yes they are a bit expensive, but worth it because then no hassles. they are good for 10 years.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

BrianShaughnessy

I just got back from the DMV and got an enhanced license so I can drive thru Canada if I go back to Detroit.
$42.50.   Had to bring birth certificate, drivers license,  SS card,  and a utility bill.      New picture license should be here in 2 weeks.

I added on off cycle renewal so I'm good till 2019 for a grand total of $95.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.